Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
feeling guilty >

feeling guilty

feeling guilty

Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 AM

Close your eyes! I finished 12 quilts the year that I retired. The UFO's will give you something to do for later!
Not to worry!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Hey David,
Sounds like me too. and it gets harder to get back into blocks that are somewhat confusing or didn't turn out right the first time. I have one I tried to correct,(it's half way torn apart) then put it down, 2 yrs ago. I know it's there but lazy about getting back into it. Instead, those other 7 quilts are calling me. I am so tempted to get those started but need to get the UFO's done before I loose the pieces. I think that after I get going on a UFO I will feel better. If anything happened to me, these would probably go into the trash, so better get it done.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
I'm one of the odd ones as I finish every quilt before I start another. I did try once to have a few UFO's and it drove me nuts. I'd even dream about them. Many of my friends have untold numbers of UFO's and it doesn't bother them one bit. They just keep going and going until they feel like finishing them. Each of us does things our own way and nothing is right or wrong for anyone. It's the joy in quilting and process and we each choose the process that works best for ourselves.
I'm with you...have to finish what I've started.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM

David, you're just a multi-tasker. Consider youself working on your PhDs.(Projects-half-Done).
Old 01-25-2011, 03:36 PM

Dunno! Never had that problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

Why should you feel guilty? Enjoy the process, even if it takes years to get one done!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:12 PM

I don't bother to feel guilty - it is just that : a work in progress - great art takes time to peruse, ponder and think about...
Old 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM

I'm the opposet, I finish every quilt I start as I fear I'd lose interest if I put it aside.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:36 PM

For me, I have many WIPs and since I too am relatively new to quilting, I find that by letting them age with me I find answers to questions, or have ideas about improving them - well, that's what I tell myself and anyone who asks!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
Actually, I don't feel guilty at all about my UFO's. They've saved me a time or two. My daughter's school just hosted a fundraising dance. Weeks ago I was asked to donate a quilt for one of the door prizes. I forgot to put in on my calendar and with less than a week before the dance my daughter asked how the quilt was coming along. It would have been panic time if I hadn't had a few UFO's sitting in my quilt room. I just went, chose a nice unfinished top and set to quilting it. So I see them as future opportunities to get me out of hot water! :mrgreen:
I totally agree. I have several tops and back (in different stages) hanging in the closet in the sewing room for just such occasions. One or two I will finish for myself when I have time but I always have some that are just for fun and when it need (or feel the need) I can pull them out at a moment’s notice. Very comforting to know they are ready to go.