Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fess up...do you own any quilts bought from a store or catalog or tv shopping?

I have 4 actually. I have had 2 of them for years, one is actually falling apart, the fabric wore out. 1 is my mom's that I use on our twin bed and the last one DD got for Christmas from a family friend. But I just started sewing in November so I haven't made alot of quilts yet...one for us, one for my mom and some baby blankets. Next up is a twin size quilt for my MIL for birthday/Christmas.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I bought a quilt on sale for $ 39.00 at a department store 16 years ago, and I have grown to love it for wrapping up in while watching tv. It has been washed many, many times through the years, and is somewhat faded, but I can't bring myself to part with it. it is the only quilt I have ever bought, and I would probably never buy another one, because the quality just isn't there, but I am absolutely attached to this one!

Blog Entries
    I cannot tell a lie!!!! I do have store bought quilts, several whole cloth ones that I bought at Bed, Bath & Beyond on sale and I use them on my beds. Then I use a contrasting one as a "runner" across the foot of the bed. I have 1 quilt that was given to me 22 years ago by my son and grandchildren. It is falling apart now but I believe I can fix it. It is a wedding ring pattern. All the grandchildren like to play on it and have played "fort" many times with it. I used to have more quilts but when I downsized I sold some to my best friend and a couple of friends. I bought a couple of lap quilts that are whole cloth quilts and they are very nice. Most of my store bought quilts that are pieced came from QVC and seem to be of good quality. Now, I just need to get busy and make some handmade quilts!!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I bought one for our guest bed, and I bought one from QVC that was very patriotic (WW II depictions), and I bought it for our 25th Anniversary, since my husband was in WW II, and the trip we had planned for our 25th had fallen through, so I wanted something special.

I've never had a store-bought quilt, but I made a quilt for my DH as well as one for myself when I was learning to quilt two years ago. Am now working on our second ones just because we like the patterns! LOL! These will both be bigger than over-sized lap robes though.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I have at least 6. Love them, that's what got me to quilting in the first place.

Yes, before I started quilting. But sad to say I have yet to get the one made for myself. Maybe next year : ) Until then its my old store bought one.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    I used to have one, bought prior to quilting myself. But after a few years of washing and wear, it disintegrated in the wash! :-) Something that sadly even my worst quilting job hasn't seemed to do yet, darn it! LOL!

I have several that I use for family when they come to visit. I love my grandkids and have made all of them quilts, but teenagers and expensive quilts don't always mix. With the quilts I've bought at thrifts (never pay over $20) I don't mind them getting dirty, dragged around, whatever.

I'm attaching photos of two that I've purchased in the last month or so. The red/white one I paid $1.97 for after senior discount. It's beautiful and has absolutely nothing wrong with it. Don't know if it's an import because it doesn't have a label. The applique quilt is a Chinese import; however, the blocks were made and then carefully appliqued on a whole cloth. I paid $5 for it. The thrift where I've purchased these has absolutely no idea what to charge for quilts and I love it.

Name:  Twin-Applique Detail.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  93.6 KB
    Name:  Twin-Applique Overall.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  93.1 KB
    Name:  Red-White Baby Quilt.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  122.9 KB

I have a few that I bought for $10 in Texas. Some were all on a table at a flea market in Canton and I bought about a dozen of them over the years. Absolutely lovely quilts, the colors and placements are just beautiful. I have given these to my children but still have about 4 left, or maybe 6 I think. They wash up really good and last and last. I have 3 dogs and a cat and I never worry about them making a mess on them or over washing them. I love quilts of any kind like you.

Blog Entries
    Of course I have quilts from other sources beside handmade. "Variety is the spice of life!" Sometimes time is a factor, sometimes I want a particular color combination that's not available in fabric I can purchase, sometimes I fall in love with the design or intricacies of a manufactured quilt and simply don't want to make the effort to duplicate it, sometimes I can buy it far cheaper than I can make it and simply don't care if it only lasts a year or two because I'll be tired of it by then anyway. I patiently and meticulously make quilts filled with love for my family who in turn, love and use them rather than fold them up in acid free paper to age away in a dresser drawer.

Blog Entries
    I have one throw I bought in Gatlinburg. It is so pretty and fits perfectly in the room I have it in.
    Happy Quilting.

Not a one! My sister in law gave me a gentle lecture ever so long ago about the quality of the materials and shameful work conditions of the makers of "handmade" quilts from foreign countries that show up in stores and specialty shops here in the US. I have never considered purchasing those quilts. On the other hand I would consider paying a fair price for an Amish quilt. I love about 40 minutes from Amish country and if the perfect quilt popped up. Yes, I would purchase it.

Blog Entries
    I have two that i love - both were bargains, one on sale, and one from Goodwill. I love the patterns, and hadn't the time to make them myself back then. I was making mostly baby quilts and charity lap quilts at the time. I don't regret owning them at all.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    I have one all white whole cloth quilt that we bought when our house was staged for selling. My hand made and hand quilted quilts were too "distracting" for prospective buyers. The stager let us borrow a "neutral" bed cover for the second bedroom. I could go on and on about staging, but that's not what this thread is about. My quilts are my bed covers and are made for that purpose. But there are some beautiful quilts in the stores.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a king sized store bought quilt on my bed...this bed is owned my the chihuahua and she is always digging. I will eventually make one...but it will take some retraining of the dog. This one is very nice...it is the colors I love (lilacs) and has embroidery in many squares...it is 5 years old now, so...it won't last forever.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Yes, I have a couple of bought quilts on our beds. I taught a friend to make quilts starting a couple years ago, and when she found out I didn't have quilts I had made on our beds she told me that was "pathetic" - LOL (she was teasing of course), so I have the fabric to make one for each of the queen beds and one is actually started, but I have some other projects I need to work on before I can dedicate my sewing time to just those 2. Anyhow, that "pathetic" became quite the buzz word between us for a while and we got a good laugh out of it every time. I've given away more quilts than I've kept (by far) in the approx 12 years I've been doing this.

Blog Entries
    I had some, but gave them to a shelter here. Now its only quilts made by a friend and by myself. I still have two to give to someone that needs them, one I made and no longer want, the other was made by a 92 year old friend of my mothers, it is dusty rose lone star. I don't have a place to store it or any room it would go in.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have some. And they make it clear that making them oneself gives much better quality.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Of course I do.....I appreciate all kinds of bed coverings

Sure. Bought a lovely red white and blue one back int he '80s at a local linen shop and then my son gave us a nice double wedding ring quilt for one of our major anniversaries. Since I only have made one quilt it would be hard to use mine! HAHhaha....well, I am sure that is going to change.

I have one I bought years ago, before I started quilting myself. I have the top of a quilt made for my bed, now I need to get the backing and batting and finish it. I have put it off because we have a cat that sleeps on the bed often and at night when she is crowding my DH, DH will try to "launch" her and she digs in and I am afraid she will tear the quilt...solution, take the quilt off at night, problem solved!
    One more material Girl~

I have quilts that were made in China. I bought them before I quilted but we still use them mostly as camping and utility quilts but it is nice to have them. Some one went through the trouble to make them. They are not cheater quilts like the new ones and most are hand quilted.
    Anna Quilts

Thru EBAY I bought a single "Martha Stewart" MORNINGSTAR pattern that was made in 2002. Don't know why I
    didn't buy the king size with shams at the time but I wasn't able too. Loved the bright colors but now used single
    as a lap quilt on cold nights. Still want the king . Have the "Morningstar" pattern but doesn't look as good.

When we moved here I bought a quilt from Cracker Barrel because I liked colors . Under it is my log cabin scrappy'
    Have since made many quilts so don't really need more but some of these are not big enough for our bed or colors
    that I prefer to use to decorate . Laugh that some people don't see the difference with bought'n cheap quilts as they
    only see the colors not even all the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
    I have one I bought on my bed. I promised myself this year I will make one just for me. I have 3 more family ones to make first though. I just spent 5 days in the hospital (the old ticker is trying to wind down) but guess God isn't finished with me yet. So God willing and the creek don't rise, I hope to get all my quilting done.
    God bless you Shabby Tabby. I hope you are on the mend.

I do not have any store bought quilts on my beds. As a matter of fact, I replaced the comforted that was in our 5th wheel with a quilt that I made just for that bed. My mother and Grandmother were prolific quilters. I am slower than they were, but I enjoy taking my time. PS, this is a great thread.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast