Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a 301A >

Finding a 301A

Finding a 301A

Old 06-21-2015, 02:25 PM

You are correct color does not make a difference. I do think the long bed is better though.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM

Thank you I will give some thought to opening my search for the two toned. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Just got one on ebay.
I am afraid of shipping, so I look for ones close to home so I can pick them up. I usually meet the seller at a public location. Once in a while I do go to a home.
I have also found them on CL usually by just looking at machines, because you never know how they will be listed. Most folks now a days have very little knowledge of sewing machines.
Latest one is solid beige and I have one two tone. They sew very nice and have a built in handle.

Ethel
Old 06-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

DO ask at a nearby sewing machine repair man. Perhaps maybe a SM/ vacuum store-?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Both of mine came from ebay. The first one was well packed, the second not so much and the case was damaged. the machine was fine and that's all I care about. The seller made a generous refund so it wasn't a bad transaction. Each one was under $100 with shipping, but the prices are going up. Keep watching ebay. Every so often one doesn't get many bids and is reasonable. I like the short bed because it fits in a Kenmore desk with some modifications underneath - the bed fit perfectly. I don't use any of the attachments. Only a FM foot purchased from aprils1930sshoppe and the presser foot that came with the machine. I wouldn't pass up one because it didn't have any. AnnieRose came with just the machine and she's worth every penny. Her back up has the case and attachments, but they've never been out of the box.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 PM

I have 3 of them. All three are mocha, one long bed and the other two are short. Two of them were lucky thrift store finds, one with a case/one without, but both cheap. One is in a cabinet and I bought it from a craigslist ad. It wasn't so much the machine them as the small singer sewing cabinet that came with it. It doesn't match the 301 cabinet but it does match my Grandma's 66 cabinet from 1928 and they are rare. But then I oiled her up and found out how nice she sews. I have 2 featherweights and they can't be beat for their cuteness. However the 301 is stronger and more versatile. I probably should sell a couple of them but can't pass them up when I see them.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:12 AM

You can also log onto the Goodwill site to look. I check the site at least once a week for craft items and there are always sewing machines (301's and 401's) for sale. Believe the site is shopgoodwill.com., and machines are listed in the craft section. Be sure to read everything as not all the stores are willing to ship. Worth looking at if you have time to kill
Old 06-22-2015, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by girlygirlforme View Post
Hi I am new to this site and you all have inspired me to purchase a vintage Singer machine. I think I would be most happy with a 301A (black is my first choice,but not picky). I have seen the FW, but unfortunately my pocketbook will not stretch that far at this time. I have recently retired and am sewing alot of donation quilts for my local church. It has been said many times the 301As are the best for piecing.
Where would be the best place to look for one? My husband is very mechanically inclined and may be able to do some minor repairs. I have not seen any on Craigslist in my area (Northern Wisconsin). Ebay has some, but there again not sure if that is a good idea. Any suggestions?
Have you tried the ShopGoodwill on line. They often have vintage machines for sale very cheap
. You bid on them and sometimes they haven't been plugged in and tried out but those Singers are like the FW. Simple to use and easy to repair and parts are still available.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Thank you!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:24 AM

I sent you a pm......private message.