Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding a 301A >

Finding a 301A

Finding a 301A

Old 06-22-2015, 11:18 AM

Replied to pm..
Old 06-22-2015, 12:33 PM

It's interesting...I've become interested in the 301's myself and have started watching them on eBay...a nice 301 seems to be selling for around the same price as a decent Featherweight these days.

I don't know if that means 301s are becoming MORE popular, or that the FW furor is dying down? I do find it interesting though, I sort of expected to find a nice 301 on eBay in a case for around $100 but so far that hasn't proven to be true at all. (Though I am being picky - I want a black one with a long bed so those are the only auctions I'm really watching; maybe it's just that particular configuration is more rare and/or goes for more...?)
Old 06-22-2015, 12:59 PM

I have been watching Ebay as well and true the 301s are becoming popular and more expensive . However the FW have really gotten expensive. Just this afternoon two were listed as Buy it Now $899 and $999 or starting bids of $366.00. They are beyond what I can spend. I will continue to check CL as well and my local thrift shops. Have seen several 401s but no 301s.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:59 AM

I got both of my 301's at estate sales. Have run across other older singer machines at tag sales but can only use so many machines (I have at least 15) and had to walk away. My sewing machine repair man also sells older machines, just keep checking CL, Ebay as well as your local paper. Let the owners of the quilt shops know you are looking and they will usually keep their ears and eyes open for anyone looking to sell. Also found one in my local Goodwill but have no seen many since then. Hope some of these suggestions will help.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:19 AM

I have purchased 3 301's: the cheapest best one was at a garage sale that advertised sewing machine, but not the model - perfect machine, perfect case. The second one was a non-worked model for $15 (the bobbin case was worth more than that). The last one was at the estate sale of a machine repairman. It was stored in a shed and was very dirty. It cleaned up with no problem and works great.

My advice is to look everywhere. When you are at a garage sale, estate sale, or thrift store, always ask what they have in the line of sewing machines and attachments. Sometimes the gems aren't out on display or advertised.

You will find one if you are patient!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:12 PM

This may have been said, but I seen a few at quilt shows.

This thread needs some pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523455[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523459[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 02:34 PM

Oh that's an idea. I'm going to Paducah next year.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:01 PM

If you are considering a 301, do it now rather than later. The prices are going up. I got mine on Ebay and was lucky because the seller was a terrible photographer and the machine looked bad. It was just dirty and cleaned right up. Just be sure it is all there, bobbin case, etc. You can get new bobbins and other parts from Sew-Classic.com. Jenny can get bobbin cases, but the new ones aren't as nice as the old ones. Expect to pay $35 up on Ebay. Jenny is helpful. You can call her if you are unsure. Their prices are fair.
Be sure the bobbin case is in the machine BEFORE you bid, even if you have to ask the seller. I prefer my 301 to the FW. No hate mail please. It just isn't as picky and finicky as the FW. It goes to our sit and sews. Mine is black, but the mocha ones are nice and sometimes less pricey. Go for it. You will be glad you did.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:05 PM

I paid about $50 because of the bad photography, but wouldn't expect that to happen ever again. It even had the trapezoid carrying case. Makes it heavy as lead though and I would like to rehome it. I use a rolling case for sit and sews and it holds lots and even I can manage it. Love my 301.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:18 PM

Didn't see a one at Paducah, just very expensive FWs. If you go, look at Fred Switzer's FW stuff in the exhibition building, just south of the quilt show in the "air building". He sells wooden spindles that convert regular, sewing machine thread spindles for the spools with larger sized holes. I got one two years ago, and just bought another one for a friend this past show. He sells service manuals for FWs, belts, attachments, etc. You can contact him at Suncatcher.com. also. As long as the FWs are popular, someone will sell bobbins and bobbin cases since the 301 takes the same as the FW. Don't give up. Keep looking.
Check out thrift shops wherever you find them. My daughter bought a Model 15 Singer for $25 in a cabinet because they needed the space. She got a 201 for $50 at an antique shop. Some shops aren't greedy and some are. I rehabilitate her rescued machines and re-home them to quilters, who appreciate nice machinery. We don't want to see them end up in the landfill.