Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
finding a long-arm quilter >

finding a long-arm quilter

finding a long-arm quilter

Old 09-07-2019, 03:25 AM

Default finding a long-arm quilter

Is there a way to search the Quilt Board to find a long-arm quilter in my area? I have a couple of king size quilts that I would like to have someone quilt for me.
Sandy

TIA
Old 09-07-2019, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Under Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale is this sticky thread https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...s-t169702.html they are listed by state/country
Old 09-07-2019, 04:05 AM

I found the lady who does my longarm quilting by asking at my local quilt shop. I also belong to a local guild and they have a list of members who do longarm work. You might try one of those methods. -Bonnie
Old 09-07-2019, 08:51 AM

LQS usually are associated with local la quilters
Old 09-08-2019, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

I​t is also OK to post in the In Search Of forum asking for a LA quilter in your area.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:51 AM

Are you part of a guild? These quilters would be a good source of reliable long-arm quilters. That is where I found mine. I see you are from Northern Indiana, I just bet there are many, many long-arm quilters in your area. Ask at quilt shops too. They may not be comfortable recommending a specific quilter, but they may have business cards from long arm quilters that you can look at and consider.

Ask lots of questions before leaving your precious top with any one to work on. Turn around time, what they supply, their requirements from you and references, do they do custom quilting and more.

Oh, I just thought of another place. Small local quilt shows. Often they will list the maker of the quilt and if it was quilted by someone else. When you see a name repeated, and you like their work, seek them out. The show organizers will have the contact information for both the quilter and the quilt maker.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:52 AM

Go to a local quilt show and see who is listed as the quilter. That way you can see their work.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:58 AM

If you're near Michigan City, I recommend Quilter's Apothecary. Jamie Walen. I've taken classes from him & his work is just awesome. His edge to edge is reasonable too.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:55 AM

I found my LA quilter by asking at the LQS and saw some of her work and liked it.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:25 AM

No matter where you go to find a LAQ make sure you see work that she/he has done and talk to quilters who have used them. I had a bad experience with a LAQ that was recommended by a quilt shop. The work was awful and I took it home and ripped it all out. Paid for quilting my quilt twice because I assumed the shop person knew the quilter was good. It was my 1st finished quilt so not a good experience for sure.