Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finding solutions with what you least expect! >

Finding solutions with what you least expect!

Finding solutions with what you least expect!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:06 PM

Default Finding solutions with what you least expect!

For several years I've been using a SewSteady table with my sewing machine but just before Christmas I got a new machine and could no longer use the table because it didn't fit the new machine. And I realized that I didn't want another SewSteady table because they sit so high, I was beginning to have some trouble with my elbows and shoulders. I asked my DH if he could cut my sewing table so the new machine would sit flush with the table and make it easier on my shoulders and elbows when I did alot of sewing and quilting. He did a fanstatic job! But all of this caused a another problem, with the SS table I never needed a Supreme Slider; the plastic sheet that goes under the needle to make FM quilting easier. The table was slick enough that I didn't need one. But now my sewing table wasn't slick and I need something quickly because the GS birthday was in a few days and I needed to get the FM done. I decided to try a piece of freezer paper, cut a hole for the needle and I couldn't be happier! I actually think the freezer paper is working better than the Sew Steady table ever did, the fabric glides across it without any resistance.

Almost re-thinking whether or not to spend the money on a Supreme Slider! Could almost cut a new sheet of freezer paper for each quilt and not have to worry about where to put the plastic sheet!
Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM

Great idea. I got a new sewing table and DH is going to sit my machine in. I will try the freezer paper. Thanks
Old 01-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

​How do you avoid the freezer paper moving with the quilt sandwich?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:56 PM

I used some painter's tape. So it wouldn't be too sticky and remove paint from the table; I stuck the tape to my jeans. There was just enough fuzz to keep the tape from being too sticky but still stay in place. Actually removed the paper to do some other sewing; put it back later and it still is stuck in place.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 PM

I free motion quilted the blank spots in a triple Irish chain using the freezer paper wax side up. I just tore it away after I completed each space. It wasted some freezer paper but I could move it as a unit without it hanging up. You know that roll of freezer paper you thought you would never use up? After over 5 years I had to buy another roll.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM

What a great idea!! Thanks! You can also get oven paper thats just like slider, you put it in the bottom of your oven to keep it clean. Walmart has them.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 PM

My DH made my sewing table, after staining we applied several coats of furniture paste wax, things slide very well, no need for anything under my quit.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:08 PM

What dept did you find the oven paper in, was it in Housewares? And do you remember the name of the product? Had never heard of it so I'm interested in finding some!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:55 PM

Reynolds Freezer paper is in the dept. with the wax paper and saran wrap. I have been useing it for years doing applique.