Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finishing Quilts >

Finishing Quilts

Finishing Quilts

Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM

I have to agree with you, but I think I have also found myself having so much fun finishing the tops that I rationalize by telling myself that once I have several tops done then I will (and actually have) quilt them all at the same time.

Sometimes (being up in age, as much as my mind hates to admit it - {a brainage game I just played tonight says my brain is 20 years younger than reality} the process of getting the sandwich made also seems to find small muscles that haven't been used lately.

Since starting on the QuiltsForKids program, I find I am a lot more produdctive and just surprised myself by finishing 9 quilts in 2 weeks for them! (Nope didn't work longer on them than I usually do... 3 - 4 hours a day.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana
Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by erstan947
I agree, I can't afford to send all mine out. After the holidays I've got 2 to quilt. I'm not great but I will do my best. I think the more I do the better I will get. I won't know unless I get in there and do it. Happy Quilting!
I totally agree here, but the thing is I have to let my body heal after I've done a quilt on my domestic machine. I know that part of the problem is my posture and another problem is that my set up is not exactly great. My sewing table has a well for my machine but when I use it, the machine is too far back. So I put the machine on top and pull is closer to me. By the time I've finished with the quilting, my neck, shoulders, back and right hip are in lots of pain. I've done two quilts in the last two weeks....and I'm really in pain. Now, I'll have to heal before I can even think of doing another one. But, I do have a lot of piecing to do, so I can still stay busy.
I can't imagine trying to machine quilt on a regular sewing machine. I'm like you ... too many hours at the sewing machine are very hard on my body. After a spinal fusion a year ago I have to pace myself. I do my qulting by hand, the old fashioned way, but I find it relaxing. I like the way hand quilting looks, too. I hope you heal quickly and enjoy piecing in the process.

I really do envy you lovely people who can hand quilt. I've had a couple of goes but need to find a day where I have lots of time Lol to sit and practice.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by ranger
I do all mine from beginning to end. I now have 7 tops that need to be quilted. Why aren't they done, you ask? I can't stand the actual quilting and I can't afford to send them out. I WILL quilt them....but it will take a while to psych myself into it. I won't be making any new tops until those are quilted so I will soon have to get started...maybe tomorrow, right?

I do mostly queen-size quilts. I do Stitch in the ditch (SITD gives me problems...you'd never think that it would be so difficult to keep the stitch 'in the ditch'), some quilting around templates, fancy machine stitches and echo quilting, all on my small Brother machine. Wrestling big quilts through that little machine is doable but takes a long time. It was only last year that I got a walking foot..don't know how I did any quilting without it. I would love to do meandering. I can manage it on small pieces but big quilts give me trouble. Takes lots of practice to get it right.

Most of my quilts are for gifts or for myself. I make quilts because it gives me a creative outlet, and it makes me feel good to give them to others.

I do have my Postage Stamp one sandwiched, ready to go, so maybe I should head to the sewing area,(aka my dining room corner),and get started on the quilting.

Happy Quilting to all. Have a great day!!!
What is a Postage Stamp quilt? Is it random small squares? If so, how large are the squares?
Yes, they are just random squares. Mine finished at 2". I think the ones I've seen in quilting magazines finished at 1".
I was trying to use up small pieces of fabric but I think they multiply while I'm asleep. I have made scores of 16-patch units, over 100 crumb blocks( they are a kind of crazy block), a Flying Geese top and a scrap Pineapple top. There are still lots of scraps in the sewing room. :shock:
Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 AM

>>

Mine UFOs aren't languishing in a cupboard; they're draped over any unadorned surface in the sewing room or any other place available:) Truly, my enjoyment is in the process rather than the product. It may be selfish--I wouldn't know(g), but half-way through a project I'm thinking of the next one! If someone to whom I've not given a quilt or othr creation comes along wanting one, they have only to choose one of those and complete it--or not:))
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 AM

I do all mine from beginning to end. I now have 7 tops that need to be quilted. Why aren't they done, you ask? I can't stand the actual quilting and I can't afford to send them out. I WILL quilt them....but it will take a while to psych myself into it. I won't be making any new tops until those are quilted so I will soon have to get started...maybe tomorrow, right?

I do mostly queen-size quilts. I do Stitch in the ditch (SITD gives me problems...you'd never think that it would be so difficult to keep the stitch 'in the ditch'), some quilting around templates, fancy machine stitches and echo quilting, all on my small Brother machine. Wrestling big quilts through that little machine is doable but takes a long time. It was only last year that I got a walking foot..don't know how I did any quilting without it. I would love to do meandering. I can manage it on small pieces but big quilts give me trouble. Takes lots of practice to get it right.

Most of my quilts are for gifts or for myself. I make quilts because it gives me a creative outlet, and it makes me feel good to give them to others.

I do have my Postage Stamp one sandwiched, ready to go, so maybe I should head to the sewing area,(aka my dining room corner),and get started on the quilting.

Happy Quilting to all. Have a great day!!!
What is a Postage Stamp quilt? Is it random small squares? If so, how large are the squares?
Yes, they are just random squares. Mine finished at 2". I think the ones I've seen in quilting magazines finished at 1".
I was trying to use up small pieces of fabric but I think they multiply while I'm asleep. I have made scores of 16-patch units, over 100 crumb blocks( they are a kind of crazy block), a Flying Geese top and a scrap Pineapple top. There are still lots of scraps in the sewing room. :shock:
I may have to try one some day. My daughter saw a picture of one in a magazine and fell in love with it, but I thought it would be way too much work to sew all those little squares together. I guess it would be sometime to work at for fun and not trying to meet a deadline.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 AM

Hello,
Is it possible to inlarge our signature picture ?
would love to see them larger would be super !!
I'm new,I just get a arrow when I try.
thank's
Olga,
Old 11-08-2010, 06:02 AM

I would love to send my tops out to be quilted because by the time I finish the tops Im so in love with it... I need so much practice quilting that Im scared Im going to mess up my top....but if I was to get caught by my husband paying someone to finish my quilts I would have a lot of explaining to do. 1) he thinks Im a goddess at the sewing machine...I can make anything-sweet man 2) It cost so much. Not that it is not worth it, it is just something that I can not afford to do. Oh but how I would love too.

As for so many projects going at one time. I love to do all my hand stitching in bed. I like to do my corner matching or my cutting when Im ticked off at my teenage son (it is so much easier then beating him...just kidding) The machine quilting is saved for when Im in a really good mood and wont mind tearing out all the stitches over and over and over...lol
Old 11-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spring
I would love to send my tops out to be quilted because by the time I finish the tops Im so in love with it... I need so much practice quilting that Im scared Im going to mess up my top....but if I was to get caught by my husband paying someone to finish my quilts I would have a lot of explaining to do. 1) he thinks Im a goddess at the sewing machine...I can make anything-sweet man 2) It cost so much. Not that it is not worth it, it is just something that I can not afford to do. Oh but how I would love too.

As for so many projects going at one time. I love to do all my hand stitching in bed. I like to do my corner matching or my cutting when Im ticked off at my teenage son (it is so much easier then beating him...just kidding) The machine quilting is saved for when Im in a really good mood and wont mind tearing out all the stitches over and over and over...lol
Had to chuckle at this one. My DH reacted the same way when we went by an alterations shop and I said, "This is where I bring my pants to be shortened." He looked stunned, and said "You do WHAT??!!" I told him I have so many alterations to do for others and other things to do that I would never get my own done. And besides, she does a better job of finding the right length, etc." He was good with that. :lol:
Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by tuesy
I try to do a quilt from start to finish. I only have one that I need to quilt (don't like it anymore, so it's outta sight, outta mind)
Believe it or not, my favorite thing to do is the binding. Don't know why either.
I LOVE doing the binding too!!!
I sit on the couch, put the quilt over me and hand stitch the binding. I feel so peaceful. I love that I have finished a quilt. It makes me tranquil. I think you and I are the only ones though!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by olgaflowers
Hello,
Is it possible to inlarge our signature picture ?
would love to see them larger would be super !!
I'm new,I just get a arrow when I try.
thank's
Olga,
Do you mean the avatar pics? If so, then check out this post.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-72553-1.htm