Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Finsh the bolt stash building >

Finsh the bolt stash building

Finsh the bolt stash building

Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by dunster
One of the stores nearby does offer a discount, I think 30%, and JoAnn's offers a discount too (I think only if you're not using a coupon). At other stores I've had clerks ask me if I want the remainder at the same price, even though it may be only a couple of inches. What's with that? Wouldn't it be better to either throw it in (assures customer satisfaction and repeat business) or offer a big discount?
Joann's still gives the discount of 50% on the remaining fabric on the bolt-even if the fabric is on sale-and you can use the coupon because the coupon is taken at the register, not the cutting table. Most of the 40 or 50% coupons are only good on regular priced fabric, but sometimes (like currently) they have a 20% off entire purchase (sale fabric included). I have done it many times, and NEVER buy unless it is on sale, and always use my coupons to get the most discount available. Yesterday I found a couple fabrics with less than 2 yards-I said I wanted only 1 1/4 yd and got the rest at 50% off-it was only on sale for 25% off, but got the better-than 1/2 yard extra at 50% off-then used the 20% off coupon at the register.
That was not my experience reciently. They discounted the end of the bolt but at the register they said my coupon was not vaild because a it applied to regular price merchandise only. The end of bolt yardage was a seperate line of the cutting slip. THey same thing happened with a fabric that had a flaw.. got to the register and could not use the coupon because a discount had been taken. They were not going to budge , I even asked to see the manger since the 15 percent for the flaw was not worth me not being able to use the coupon. Still not able to use the coupon. They told me they would re- do the cutting slip at full price and then I could use the coupon. Very Frustrating.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by dunster
One of the stores nearby does offer a discount, I think 30%, and JoAnn's offers a discount too (I think only if you're not using a coupon). At other stores I've had clerks ask me if I want the remainder at the same price, even though it may be only a couple of inches. What's with that? Wouldn't it be better to either throw it in (assures customer satisfaction and repeat business) or offer a big discount?
Joann's still gives the discount of 50% on the remaining fabric on the bolt-even if the fabric is on sale-and you can use the coupon because the coupon is taken at the register, not the cutting table. Most of the 40 or 50% coupons are only good on regular priced fabric, but sometimes (like currently) they have a 20% off entire purchase (sale fabric included). I have done it many times, and NEVER buy unless it is on sale, and always use my coupons to get the most discount available. Yesterday I found a couple fabrics with less than 2 yards-I said I wanted only 1 1/4 yd and got the rest at 50% off-it was only on sale for 25% off, but got the better-than 1/2 yard extra at 50% off-then used the 20% off coupon at the register.
That was not my experience reciently. They discounted the end of the bolt but at the register they said my coupon was not vaild because a it applied to regular price merchandise only. The end of bolt yardage was a seperate line of the cutting slip. THey same thing happened with a fabric that had a flaw.. got to the register and could not use the coupon because a discount had been taken. They were not going to budge , I even asked to see the manger since the 15 percent for the flaw was not worth me not being able to use the coupon. Still not able to use the coupon. They told me they would re- do the cutting slip at full price and then I could use the coupon. Very Frustrating.
It won't work on the 40 or 50% coupon that states it's good on regular priced items, but I had a 20% coupon good on your total purchase. It worked on everything I bought-even sale fabric, as long as I didn't use another coupon on an item. In other words, I bought Kona backing (not on sale) with the 50% coupon, so the 20% coupon was not good on that item, but was on everything else.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM

I wish.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Unfortunately, no "end of bolt" discount at my LQS. They do have a table of $4 and $6 fabrics, which seem to always be the same. Also have a stamp card (no sale stuff credited). Spend $250...$25 GC. Wish they would come up with some exciting promotions...As if I need any more reasons to shop there!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:00 PM

i have a quilt store near me that takes off $1 per yard if you finish a bolt out of the sale room....so i always look there for skinny bolts...i wish more of my quilt stores offered some kind of deal......gina
Old 02-20-2011, 05:57 PM

One time, there was an offer: $10 per bolt, regardless of how much was left on it...needless to say, I bought stacks(of the thicker bolts). I did resist some Debbie Mumm which had penguins on them as I couldn't see myself using it. However, stack and whack may have changed the look...
Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM

My LQS never offers sales on fabric. Wish they did.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Power Poster

No never.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Handcocks and Hobby Lobby do not, but my local JoAnns does. (With the exception of one cutter who has strange rules - perhaps from another location. I'll "remember" something else if she calls my number. Anything less than a yard is a remnant, and is sold for 50% off. If it is on sale, the sale price applies too. Then, with my 15% teacher discount . . . Oh Yeah Baby! I don't darken the doors of one of the LQS, the other - I get guild pricing, and have never found a partial bolt that I wanted. Guess someone beats me to them.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 PM

My LQS does a last business day of month end-of-bolt sale (20% disc.); maintains a table of bolts of fabric @ 20% discount all the time; has a New Year's Day FQ Frenzy (20 FQ's for $30 - and they cut FQ's from every bolt of fabric in the store). We get a $20 shopping spree when we turn in $200 worth of receipts (can't use tax or class fees as part of the $200 spent total. Then they usually come up with different specials every month. Love their BOM - $15 sign up fee which also gives you the pattern and fabric for your first block. The blocks (pattern & fabrics) for subsequent months are free as long as you personally bring the previous months block in for show and tell. If you miss going in or haven't brought your block - you will have to pay $5 for that month's block. Have been going to this LQS since they opened and doing my best to help them stay in business! They're like family!