Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece as backing query >

fleece as backing query

fleece as backing query

Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
Originally Posted by loopywren
I have had some advice from you but I just cannot have any success using fleece for the backing on a quilt when I machine it, it just stretches so much and goes out of shape.. I am sorry i cannot get the photos to load on to my laptop so cannot send one.. I normally hand sew everything but want to tackle and succed with the machine sometimes. Thank you in advance... I have tried spraying it with 505 and without. My tension is okay. I have used both a walking foot and a plain one.
I use fleece all the time - but I use my serger and you have to get a piece that is a least 2 inches bigger on each side to take care of the movement.

I love using it especially for people who want it for an outdoor use (soccer or football games) makes it easy to wrap around them.
I am using a not very expensive domestic machine and perhaps that is part of the problem. I have tried every way of sewing, it did work on a small piece but not on this largish lap quilt. No batting either.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:09 AM

I used fleece as a backing for my last one, and didn't have any problems. I didn't use batting though, that might have made a difference. I've used fleece as batting, too, without trouble...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 AM

I've never used fleece as a backing on a quilt but flannel works great. I made a king size quilt for my daughter and used flannel as backing and she says it is so warm and snuggly. I have a lap quilt on my recliner that is backed with flannel and love it.

I love to take 2 layers of fleece and put them together - sew around the edges or cut strips along the edges and tie them - makes a wonderful warm snuggly throw and it is quick.Washes and dries really nicely too.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 AM

I have used fleece many times on the back of a quilt, but I do have a long arm and that works really well when quilting them.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:18 AM

I use crochet thread and tack it , or 6strand of embordiery thread. Nimble Thimble USA
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 AM

Agreed! Free motion quilting is out of the question UNLESS - as you can easily do for straight row stitching - place tissue paper between the fleece & whichever foot it is facing. Addition pulling & stretching happens while handling the material - or due to too much/little machine pressure - or pushing/pulling under the foot while stitching.
The tissue works famously! Made a dozen fleece blankets for our DAR chapter for a statewide project. A Maine retired Army nurse goes to the evac hospital in Iraq - one month a year. She gives the blankets to the soldiers for the trip to Germany. ( The planes can get pretty darned cold in-flight! )
Some of us make the blankets throughout the year - & stockpile them for her next trip over. Unlike 'Soldiers' Angels' whom have to pay for shipping there - this woman has finagled the military to ship them with her! Anyone interested in making/donating blankets - please PM me. If your local DAR doesn't have a similar program - I'll try to help get the ball rolling.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
Originally Posted by qnana
I used white minky on my grandson's 1st quilt and it did great. He loves the soft cuddle. Used up the scraps on baby toy gifts.
What is minky? Is it some sort of fleece or a combo of fleece and flannel?
Minky is a super soft fabric used primarily for baby blankets. Here is a tutorial link that will be helpful for using fleece too, since it is similar. I "winged" it with no instructions when I used it, and had no problems, but I did pin, pin, pin to keep it from sliding.
http://icraftblog.blogspot.com/2009/...anket-tutorial
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 AM

I am machine quilting a twin size quilt with fleece backing right now for my grandson. Using my walking foot, feed dog down,and spray basted the fleece, no batting. Using an "S" type pattern to quilt, not having any problems.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-158686.png  
Old 01-12-2011, 06:53 AM

I used fleece backing on all my t shirt quilts. I put right sides together and sewed three sides turned inside out. I know not the proper way. then then after turning inside out tucked the ends in on the fourth side pinned and machine stiched all around. It was not perfect but seemed to go a little easier for me.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM

Hi,
I haven't tried this but it works for other things! I would try soluble Vilene bought by the metre, have that on the bottom then the fleece and work from the top of the whole sandwich. I keep thinking I shall try this after seeing a beautiful lap quilt, fleece backed, made by a Bernina demonstrator for her mother. It had been well used but still looked fine. She had chosen a wonderful purple colour for the fleece and in memory had cotton quilting fabric on top.