Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fleece for a quilt back >

Fleece for a quilt back

Fleece for a quilt back

Old 09-28-2018, 05:19 AM

I use fleece backings too as the kids really love the warmth. I don’t put batting in but might try now. I also use minkie with batting. Love it.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:02 AM

I have used fleece for the back of many smaller quilts. One word of caution - it likes to move around!! I am not one for pinning or basting, but, with fleece I take precautions. Also, whenever I make a baby quilt, I like to self bind. This stops the little ones from chewing off the binding. I either make the top wider and fold over into it or just fold over the fleece to create a 2" blanket binding (if batting not used it will feel the same thickness as the rest of quilt). I do a zigzag or other decorative stitch and it adds to the special look of the 'binding'. My kids still have their baby quilts without ever having to be rebound and they are in their 30's - - wow, how did that happen?!?!?!?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:19 AM

Well the top is coming out a bit larger than I expected somehow... it barely fits the fleece but it will! I found my original plan for it, although I made 12 blocks apparently I planned to only use 9. Today I'm making the final decisions on the sashing (have fabric), think it will be 4" wide on the outsides and 2" on the insides. Would like to keep the outer edges in one piece but not sure I have the yardage, so may end up only using the 9 blocks.

I usually take my tops to my friend's house to use her long arm but she's having a house guest for the next two weeks and shoved a bunch of stuff into the room with the long arm so I guess I'm out of luck on that. I do have a couple half-used cans of spray baste though. I have decided on an all over clamshell and I know I can do it on my trusty old machine.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:19 AM

I use only fleece for almost all my quilts. No batting as comfort quilts need to be lightweight. Everyone tells me they are the perfect weight and warmth. I do large spaced quilting as you only have to adhere the front to the fleece. No batting to shift.
If you are doing clamshells, I hope they are from big clams... lol!
Old 09-28-2018, 10:00 AM

Huge clams! We have geoducks here Probably base them off a 6" circle which will fit the 12" blocks and 2-4" sashing well.

I cut the sashing, am rather committed at this point but I can always trim down the sashing on the ends and/or use the 9 blocks. Next step is to sew the sashing and then double check with one long row that I still have enough yardage. Mathematically I do but not by much, if there is much of a slant in the cut I won't make it. Should be able to post a picture of the top today, that's the plan anyway.

Then it's on to the next top, already cut, just need to make the pieced sashing and put it together.

Hubby's truck has been down for the last month, getting a new engine for it. First one came in the wrong size. Next one was delayed in shipping (went from California to Florida and then here to Washington). They refused it because it looked like it had been flooded. So then it was another week's wait but this one is in and will be ready for pick-up today. It will feel good to be able to use my car again, not that I really go anywhere but it's been weighing on my mind that I can't go anywhere. But it's been good to be housebound, I am getting some things done but I get distracted. I really should have been paying more attention to straightening up my sewing room but I've been using the excuse to "get this project done" and "get this project cut and out of the way".
Old 09-28-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I've made several quilts with fleece backs. Some I did with traditional binding and some I just folded the fleece to the front and stitched it down. Either way works just fine.

Cari
Do you put the quilts on a frame or are they quilted on your sewing machine. I would like to give it a try with fleece on the back but do not know about it stretching. If on your sewing machine, how do you keep it all flat so no puckers.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:43 PM

omg, 1000scraps.. Those are just beautiful!!
Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 PM

I have also done fleece backing. I used spray basting to be sure it stayed put. If you spray baste you don't need to worry if you only have an extra inch around.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:24 PM

This is how I do it, too. Dense quilting will make the sides pucker inward - not a good look. I found out the hard way.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 PM

You can add woven fabric to the fleece if it the quilt is too long or too wide for it. I used it on a quilt of valor for a friend and he loved it!