Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FMQ - I now know why I failed Art Class in Kingergarten

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.

I feel for you....we should start a club...The Unable to FMQ Quilters!! :-)
    I will be a charter member! LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    6 hours later - and here is where I'm at......

I am kind of proud of myself....
    YOU cannot be in the club!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    6 hours later - and here is where I'm at......

I am kind of proud of myself....
    YOU cannot be in the club!
    Now hang on...I can still be in the club - its not great just a vast improvement...and notice I didn't even dare try a real design...

Please don't kick me out yet!!!!

Despite all the encouraging comments here ( :thumbup: ), I have to admit that I, too, have no drawing skills either. I find FQM to be extremely challenging, even after 3 years of doing it on my shortarm machine on a frame, which should make it so much easier. I get all tied up in knots, my stitches are so uneven and the design looks like it was done by a 3 year old.

I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic a

I'm in!

I am chuckling at your post as I am the same way. Coming from a family of artistic talent somehow it all just skipped me!! But when I can I do practice and it looks like a mess alot of the time. But here and there I am getting a little better. I just feel I am rather FMQ CHALLENGED!!!

I am best suited for SID, my own swirly loopy meandering, or edge-to-edge pantograph. Anything else is just beyond my abilities...I don't have that kind of artistic ability.

I need to belong to this club. When does it start?? (LOL)

I once got a ticket for not parking between the line...When I paid the ticket I told them that they haven't seen me color yet. I would get a ticket for that also. Keep trying, have you neighbors child help. Just smile and enjoy!

Blog Entries
    You are so funny! I'm not going to tell you that practice makes perfect because I always think I can do things the first time without any effort then realize I'm like everyone else and need to learn the skill! Good luck! You can do it! Can't wait for a pic post!

Blog Entries
    I am practicing practicing practicing also. Getting a little better each time.

Well, lets face it. We can't all be Charisma, darn! She is so exceptional that it is daunting to even try, but we can keep trying. I have been trying for quite a few years now and know I will never be really good at it, but won't give up either. Save a spot on the UTFMQ club for me.

One reply said get really good at one thing then move on to the next, I am really good at stippling now. I am practicing with other patterns now trying to find my next one but I feel confident enough to do stippling on actual quilts and have done a few that look pretty good. I don't know how long all my quilts will have the stipple pattern but I will keep at it til I move on to the next one.

a larger work surface helped me quite a bit. I had a neighbor make me an extention table so my work surface was much bigger and it really helped.

I also tried free motion quilting, but my stitches looked tight. Is it because I didnt quilt fast enough or is it the tension. I know nothing about changing tension on my machine. It's a Janome 2160QDC.

Once I got the hang of the tension, pressure & speed the eyelashes went away and I became more concerned with design. I couldn't follow a line with FMQ so I practiced by stitching names of folks I love. We already know how to write and that involves shapes that are in quilt designs. Open up an "i" stitch an "o", a "t" that is not crossed. All these seemed to help me. When I got ready for designs I made what I call a wonky flower on a floral quilt top. 5 open i's in a wonky circle large as the space called for and then smaller i's inside those. Well, it suited me. I am not an artist either so decided to intentionally allow myself to make wonky designs and stitch folks names into the top if I know who it is going to.

Thanks for the encouragement I'm seeing here. I'm also wanting to teach myself fmq. No time like the present.

Try tracing your design a few times before you stitch it. Then you will have the motion and direction down before you start. If I start without tracing the design first its always a disaster!

don't feel bad I am having all kinds of trouble with it too.

Please don't give up. When I started FMQ I was horrible. I hated it. I was so stressed by the time I finished a piece my shoulders and back were killing me. But I kept trying. I just finished a Happy Daisy wall hanging for my office. I stippled around the Daisys and yes I was exhausted afterwards. But my husband, who never compliments me, said I did a fantastic job. He just loved the quilting. When I looked at it he was right it was pretty good.

Moral of the story, keep trying! Practice and keep trying. I know I am going to do more.

One thing for sure--it is a whole lot easier to FMQ a 16" square than it is to FMQ a whole quilt!

Blog Entries
    But I want to be good RIGHT NOW, she said stamping her foot in frustration. Years??? seriously?????, I could be dead by then!!! And if even God put's me in stippling 101 I AM going to cry!

I am with you. IF you can't draw swirls and patterns with a pencil on paper how can you draw with a machine, But, one thing I had my husband put a screw on the foot pedal where I could not press it and go any faster then the speed I thought was right. I could not keep my foot on the pedal consistantly either. So I can do small things but skip feathers, curly cues, and stars. Meandering is at best what I can do and sometimes that is not a consistant stitch.

Banned
    But I want to be good RIGHT NOW, she said stamping her foot in frustration. Years??? seriously?????, I could be dead by then!!! And if even God put's me in stippling 101 I AM going to cry!
    Kappy - I know the feeling - I want it to be good and perfect right now....so what am I doing? on the message boards instead of practicing!!

Boy, can I ever relate! I posted a similar message the other day and the wonderful people on this board came out in droves to try to help. There were SO many hints and tips I was amazed. I listed them on paper so I wouldn't forget, and there were a whole pageful! Try reading that thread and see if you don't feel a little better...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-106932-1.htm

Blog Entries
    Kappy - I know the feeling - I want it to be good and perfect right now....so what am I doing? on the message boards instead of practicing!!
    Good news, I've got meandering down pat. I meander out to the kitchen to get some coffee, I meander through my house that should get cleaned, I meander past my sewing machine and right back here to the good old computer! This meandering thing is easier than I thought!

Don't give up. Suddenly it will click for you

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast