FMQ

Old 02-07-2011, 04:41 AM

Yes I do thread my machine with presser foot up. Since I haven't used this machine in ages I think it would be wise to bring it in to get serviced and make sure everything is correct on it. I've also been looking online for a new sewing machine that has some of the features I see on some of these tutorials were the needle stops in down or up position,and feed dogs lower automatically and all but while looking I also would like one where it cuts thread when your done so you don't have to pull your quilt out and cut top and bottom threads. In the description of the machines I'm looking at how would they describe this feature? I've been reading them but it's not really clear. Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 06:33 AM

you have to have the foot in the down position to sew or there is no tension on thread
Old 02-07-2011, 09:33 AM

The tension adjuster I used was on the bobbin holder . If you take it out of the machine. Quick clean inside. Look carefiully at the side you should find a screw with a straight slit. Turn it very carefully. Left wards for bottom loops.
Right wards for top loops.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM

thanks, is the screw on the right side? I saw one on that side when I took the bobbin holder out.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Marguuerite, I have a Janome, I'm not sure on yours. The side depends on where you begin.Pull out bobbin, pull out the casing case and just look and try very small steps.(screw is on the underside of casing)
I even put a quilt in a show with eyelashes. No comment made. My machine always has had the problem. I'm saving for a Bernina \Aureora 400 with a BSR (£1,490)
The BSR regulates the stitche size as you move fabric.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 AM

Thanks for advise.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by msawicki64
Also I noticed on the back of the quilt instead of tight flat stitches theres loose loops around the thread not sure what I'm doing there. I set at zero, tension at about 4. Any suggestions? Thank you.
What did you set at zero? Could it be the lower tension??
Old 03-25-2011, 03:47 AM

I know you sent this to me a while back and I don't think I view it. But did so just now and boy what a relief. I think too its the speed of my hands and feet.....just like learning a stick shift on a car. thanks again.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 AM

I have the same machine, or at least very close to it!

Mine is a Kenmore purchased in 2001, and it's 385.12312. (So one of the rebranded Janome's). If you have the same machine, or even a similar one - you SHOULD be able to drop the feed dogs. Embarrassingly enough, even though I've been sewing on it regularly for over a decade, I didn't realize it myself until recently!

If you open the cover to the bobbin case, and look on the right hand side next to the bobbin case, do you see a metal lever and some icons that look like little hills? That's the lever to drop the feeddogs. If you pull out the metal lever and shift it to the right, that'll drop the dogs....mine are a little stiff (from not using it for over a decade :roll: :lol: ) so I have to stick my finger behind the lever and give it a push to get the feed dogs to pop down. To pop the feed dogs back up, just shift the lever to the left again (you might have to stick you finger behind the lever to push on the side of the dogs). Amazing what you find out when you actually READ the manual. :oops:

Also, with my practice swatches, I would get loops like yours on the bottoms if my top tension was too loose. I can always tell if the thread tension isn't right, as the machine sounds like it's straining. I find I need a tension of 5 with the walking foot and about 4 with the darning foot, but ymmv.

One more thing.....if your machine ever starts sounding whiny or grindy, or like it's eating up the bobbin thread, it helps TONNES to take the whole bobbin casing apart, clean out all the dust/lint and rethread the whole thing. I keep trying to convince myself I 'need' a fancy new computerized machine, but it's amazing how well my little Kenmore sews if I just clean it out once in awhile - purrs just like new. I've never had it serviced either. That's the beauty of the older mechanical machines, you don't usually need a shop when you have issues.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM

My machine won't even work with the presser foot up. It beeps at me to lower the presser foot. What's up with that? I also have the FMQ foot that adjusts the height so it's easier to make changes when dealing with thicker quilts.

Good luck, I've seen the eyelashes on my own stuff when I started too. I adjusted the tension alot and it seemed to fix the problem. Although sometimes I get "driving" like it's race day at Daytona and have to take a deep breath and slow down a little.