Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foundation for string quilt. >

Foundation for string quilt.

Foundation for string quilt.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:40 AM

I've never made a string quilt, it's on my to-do list and I plan on using cheapo muslin since I have a bolt that I use for garment mock-ups, I know how to build the blocks but when you're putting the blocks together to make a flimsy
1: are you still using the standard 1/4" seam allowance
2: are you pressing seams to the side or open
3: is it possible to use selvages in a string block, I have tons of selvage edges
Old 01-27-2018, 07:47 AM

My thought would be, have you considered how extremely heavy a flannel string quilt with all the seams and foundation will be? If it is washed, how will it be dried?
Old 01-27-2018, 08:35 AM

Default Foundation papers

Originally Posted by sewingsuz View Post
I was given flannel scraps and want to make string quilts. I have not done this before and what should I use for foundation? Thanks for the help!
My favorite foundation for string blocks is the paper sheets that are used in a deli. I purchase them at Sam's Club for less that $10.00 a box of 500 sheets. My second choice is a grade school paper table purchased from the Dollar Tree.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltingfragments View Post
My favorite foundation for string blocks is the paper sheets that are used in a deli. I purchase them at Sam's Club for less that $10.00 a box of 500 sheets. My second choice is a grade school paper table purchased from the Dollar Tree.
I use the deli sheets from Sam's too. Cheap and easy to remove.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
One thought that I had about using flannel is the shrinkage - if it wasn't washed before it was turned into scraps it could shrink up something fierce after the quilt is done, and if the foundation doesn't shrink too you could have problems. I usually wash and dry flannel twice before I use it. Of course you can't do that with scraps.

It's also a good idea to use a bigger than usual seam allowance - I've had some 1/4" seam allowances in flannel shred and come apart (purchased at my LQS. )
I thought about using 1/2 inch seam allowance and now I will do that. I cannot was the scraps and It also is a concern.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

When I make my string quilts, three of them. I cut squares the size I wanted out of backing fabric, cut batting same size, And sewed scrap strips, made them QAYG. I followed a tutorial on here by Ditter.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:08 PM

I bought parchment paper from the dollar store and use that because I can cut the paper to the size I want, all you have to do is remember to shorten your stitch length.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:36 PM

the 3 I've made I made strip sets and then used those to make large HST using another fabric for one half of the HST--I didn't use any foundation and since you don't have a bias on the outsides, I didn't have issues with distortion.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
I have done several string quilts. Most of them with uneven sized strings. I have used several different foundations but the one I like the best is phone book pages. However, I do take the paper off as soon as I have the block squared up. I am working on one for 2 years, as I tire of the same thing. I have 32 done but need over 60. Am going to a quilt retreat in Feb and one in April and hoping to at least finish up making the blocks then. But I so enjoy looking at all the different colors and remembering other quilts I have made. They become addictive.
This is what I do as well, however, I remove the phone book paper first, then starch then square up to the size I want. Since my strings can be uneven and not always on straight of grain I get a block that is squared up AFTER I take the paper off. just in case I stretch it as I take the paper off.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Can the Sediment Shield be pressed? I purchased some light weight stuff, probably for making patterns & it melted. Made a mess of my iron.