Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting >

Free Motion Quilting

Free Motion Quilting

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM

I usually love free motion quilting on my older bernina, but lately I'm getting some loops on the bottom. I don't know why. I always practice a new design on paper with a pencil first. This helps get the design pattern to register in my brain. Sometimes, I practice that design on a scrap, but when I'm really in the groove it's not something I always do. I do practice on a scrap a little before beginning each new project. I think the key is not letting the fabric hang over the table and getting drag. I kind of bunch it up around the machine but first place thick books behind the machine and make them into a sort of table. Music and one glass of wine helps me relax and enjoy the process.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:18 PM

I FMQ on my Viking Sapphire all the time. I love the wide throat on it. I can not FMQ without gloves on and I try to get a "rhythm" going. It is very frustrating if you keep getting interrupted. I have only mastered stipples, hearts, stars and waves. I am working on leaves. My next goal will be dancing dahlias. Just keep practicing......we will get there.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee View Post
Just wondering- How many here feel comfortable FMQ on their domestic machines and how many have tried more than stippling and meandering?? If you have tried, do you have any special things/techniques you do to make the process successful?
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

These are just for inspiration... but there is tons of stuff there... one of the easiest things to practice on is handwriting. FMQ is to Longarming as moving the paper rather than the pencil. so this is a little awkward for a bit... BUT handwriting is something we all have plenty of muscle memory for.... put the small sandwich under the needle and whatever foot you're using, foot feeds wherever you want them.... and then practice writing your name....over and over.... when you get a recognizable word.... then practice some of the designs on the site i gave you. just think of it in that way and it will help your brain convert.... you will be writing by moving the 'paper' under the 'pencil'.....

PS, I FMQ on a couple of singers, a pfaff, a new home and a white.... it's the practice that matters, not the machine... and I like gardengloves with the fingers cut out.... 2 reasons.... with the fingers cut out, you cannot grip hard with your fingertips... the tendency to grip really hard with your fingertips is what tires you so quickly... this way you have to use your palms and the whole hand... the second reason is that your fingers will be available for detail work without taking off the gloves... I cut off between 1.5" and 2".... it really helps...

Last edited by deemail; 01-24-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:22 PM

Be fearless, by that I mean give it a try, don't be intemidated by others saying how hard it is. I took a class and that was the best thing I could do. the instructor was wonderful, explained everything and was there to say what I was doing right and wrong. If I had tried on my own, I would have given up on the first attempt.

One tip the teacher said in class was to get gloves. It has helped me a lot. Have your computer on and YouTube clips on fmq when you are doing it. Leah Day and Patsy Thompson are wonderful, recommend both highly. Also, free motion means just that, so practice without a pattern and see what you can create.

Have fun. And welcome to the fmq world.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I am gradually improving my FMQ skills. I would say the biggest asset I've discovered is Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. Until I started using it, I would always end up with a wrinkle or pucker somewhere on the back of my quilt. It would drive me up the wall!.
Me too. I love this batting and it's a dream to work with.
Annie
Old 01-25-2012, 12:44 AM

Love this forum. I'm going to try the gardening gloves tip. Thanks.
Annie
Old 01-25-2012, 01:55 AM

Probably the biggest thing to conquer is the practice. It takes a while and then all of a sudden one day, you stitches are great! My most important things for successful FMQ:

Spray baste
Supreme Slider
Gloves (I prefer Machingers - they are cooler and better fitting than garden gloves - the best $9 I've spent)
Extra table on the left to hold the weight of the quilt
Music
Peace (family to leave me alone!)

So many people are just terrified to try it because they fear it won't be perfect. No one is perfect, not even the pros. Look closely at the magazines. Even on the covers sometimes it's not perfect. Keep your first practice sandwich and compare it later on. It's a hobby, it's supposed to be fun!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:45 AM

Default A Great Video on Speed Control for FMQ

I have always had a hard time with free motion quilting until I can across Leah Day and her website http://www.daystyledesigns.com

The amount of info on this site is amazing. I especially learned a lot about speed control from her youtube video, "Free Motion Quilting Speed Control" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iloHo...eature=related

If you're looking to improve your FMQ techniques, this is definitely worth a look.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 AM

I also FMQ on my domestic machine. I love the tutorials put out by Patsy Thomas and also Leah Day on www.daystyledesigns.com. I am fairly comfortable with stippling/meandering. Practice is crucial. It did take a little bit for me to get into a groove with the things one needs to sync when FMQing (speed of machine along with speed of moving the quilt under the needle). For a time I couldn't seem to get it right, and wasn't sure what to change (did I need to slow down or speed up the machine? Was I moving too fast or too slow?). And then finally one day, voila! Something got into sync for me and I got it - I got how it felt when it all worked together.

That said, I will also tell you that what is easy on a practice sandwich - doesn't go over as easily when working with an actual quilt on the machine. I was doing wonderful swirls/clouds on my practice sandwich. When you add in the bulk of the quilt though, well - that's another thing to master. I did do it - and it got easier as I went along. I am convinced - it can be done, one just has to be willing to put in the practice. Watch these tutorials - they are very encouraging.

Also, it doesn't have to be perfect to look very nice. My meandering isn't always perfect. Every now and again I get an oopsie and cross lines. By the time I wash the quilt and it crinkles up, the overall effect is pretty. I am happy with it, my family is happy with it. The only ones to know all may not be how it should be (in a perfect world) - is another quilter. Not everyone is happy with this though (less than perfection). Only you know which level you would be comfortable at. If you end up hating your quilt every time you look at it because you can't see past what isn't perfect - that is something to consider. So much time goes into making a quilt top - you want to be happy with it when it is completed.

One thing that occurred to me the other day as I was practicing my meandering is that it was getting easier to look ahead to where I wanted my needle to go next - and that I was getting more proficient at working back into spaces I missed and getting back out - without constantly starting/stopping. This is progress! And with that I decided I was gaining enough control that I now want to start trying to trace some patterns onto some practice sandwiches and follow the lines.

All of this to say - I do believe it can be done and it can be done well. Just depends on how much practice you are willing to put in if you decide you want to master this. Plus - this board is such a wealth of information and experience (and encouragement). Such a help!!

Last edited by DawnFurlong; 01-25-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM

I FMQ on my machine and to be honest, really haven't mastered (or practiced) stippling or meandering. I am working on a quilt at the moment that I am FMQ-ing a flower motif which will then be echo quilted around, along with some feathers in the borders. I have a plan to make a batch of placemats (I can always use them) and use them for more FMQ practice. One thing I have done is play with my table set up to get it comfy and then I have also played a lot with how I manipulate the fabric so I can move it smoothly and not get jerky stitches. I am sure this board will be full of helpful ideas. Good luck!