Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
???freecycle??? >

???freecycle???

???freecycle???

Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I have seen this online and was wondering if anyone has used this. I went online and cannot find a way to look for areas so whoever I give to is closer and no shipping involved. Anyone have any suggestions or how to's?
Of course for quilting items, like fabric, thread, etc. Sometimes I get way too much to use and want to share.
The nursing home take things but you can never tell if it gets totally used. I like to "Pass it on". Lots of things get passed back to me. It's a challenge. Love to hear from anyone.
i am a moderator on our local freecycle board. it works really well..i have gifted all sorts of items myself..to people whio need things.
i would ask that you do "porch pick-ups" whatever you have,with thier name on it. it is safer, and also avoids frustration of No-shows or people getting there late. so YOUR not waiting around to hear the knock on the door.

try to make people reply with a date and time they can pick up.

if your the one picking something up..make sure you are on time!
most city's have group rules..some of ours are:
1 wanted post with max 3 items on the post per week.
no "come and get it,address posted or curbside posting"
(to avoid 20 people showing up to get it, and it be taken already..(saves gas and frustrations!)
we don't allow garage sales posts..only "free for all,left overs from garage sales" with specific times and dates. (or you could call purple heart at the end of a garage sale.
What's "purple heart" mean. Never heard that expression. Also, I tried to get on Freecycle a long time ago, I guess tne moderator never accepted me, as I didn't hear back. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM

In our area, the freecycle moderators suggested we go to ReUseIt when something happened that I don't remember. It is a similar site to freeclcle with similar rules. We are aslo linked up with Missouri Market Place (MMP)for items that you want to sell, or purchase.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
DBW

Purple heart is like DAV (disabled Vets) Kings Daughters, goodwill. They come to your location and pickup items.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pgthom
Also, I tried to get on Freecycle a long time ago, I guess tne moderator never accepted me, as I didn't hear back. Any ideas?
Just reapply. Membership applications to Yahoo! groups automatically expire after 2 weeks if the moderator takes no action. You might have applied while the moderator was on vacation or sick.

If the application asks you to explain why you want to join, be sure to write a line about yourself. I moderate a different type of group that was ruined years ago by spammers. Therefore, I accept members only if they write a line explaining why they want to join the group. I will not accept someone who writes "Please let me join your group." because it's so characteristic of spammers.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 AM

I love 'freecycle" someone will always want what you have to offer. & I have also got many good items including fabric!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

i used Broomfield free cycle online. met the lady at Block Buster Video near my home and gave her an old t.v.
just never give out your home address. works fine but use an email addy without your name in it too.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM

I have freecycled for years and love it! I recommend it to everyone I can. What a great and easy way to reuse items and you would be surprised at what you can keep out of your trash can. Just about everything is useful to someone! Egg cartons and planting containers are especially wanted around here. I have also offered volunteer trees from my yard and gotten lots of plants from others. Furniture, clothing, books, coupons, animals, knick knacks, you name it - you will see it. I have never gotten anything other than the freecycle posts. When my son lived in LA, he practically furnished his apartment from freecycle - some of the items were in such great shape I kept them when he moved back! Great site.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by dglvr
Thats good to know. I'm with Google. Will it change that to Yahoo if I sign up? I'll also check the ReUseIt. Thanks :thumbup:
I'm with Google also and use Freecycle. You don't have to give up Google to do this.

I just bought something off Craigslist from someone who lives in the county next to ours. I offered to Paypal her the money and pay for shipping so I didn't have to travel 100 miles...might work with Freecycle?

I also haven't had difficulty with lots of junky emails. I'm sorry for those who have those experiences. Maybe it's different in different localities.

Thanks for the suggestions on porch pick up or meeting at a public place. I'm going to do that in the future.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:44 AM

I love freecycle. Most forget that it's purpose is to save things from going into the trash, that is either still usable, fixable, or can be re-purposed. There was a person looking for box springs because he used them in his garden to raise his plants above ground.

To join you go to www.freecycle.org to find your local group, but the emails come from freecycle.com after you sign up, because it is a yahoo group specific to your area. You have to join yahoo and create an account, but you should have emails come to your normal email account so you can see postings in a timely manner.

I have given away tons of stuff on freecycle, cookbooks, bedding, furniture, housewares, craft supplies, wall paint, a rug, some cosmetics, clothing, etc. I have gotten fabric, batting, brand new luggage, Pergo for my bathroom and hall, my patio set, my shelving units and a few other things that have saved me a ton of money. Last month I asked for cotton fabric for quilting and while I got very little fabric, I did get about 30 quilting books!

The most incredible thing I have seen on freecycle was a man was giving away his whole kitchen, cabinets and appliances from a 7 year old home. They had just purchased the house and his wife wanted to redo the whole thing. You just had to provide the labor to remove it.

What is ReUseIt?

Diane
Old 04-16-2010, 03:59 PM

freecycle-great concept. our local group is very, very active. the sheer # got to be too much, so i discontinued. will probably pick it up again in the future