Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A friend asked if I would make her a quilt. >

A friend asked if I would make her a quilt.

A friend asked if I would make her a quilt.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Wanting to make quilts for others and others wanting you to make quilts for them can be so different.
So very true!

Going by what you've said here, it sounds like you're not all that thrilled that you said yes. Since we've had numerous discussions here on this topic, it's led me to think about ways I could handle the next such request:

"I never promise quilts, my schedule is just too erratic."
"Sorry, I have projects lined up for the next 20 years."
"I never quilt on request; I go where inspiration leads me."

The truth is, if I started making quilts others wanted me to make, I wouldn't have the time to make the quilts I want to make. And it would turn from a pleasure into a chore.

When you told her you would make it if she would buy the material, did you mean, that she would actually buy everything before hand, or she would pay the cost of materials in the finished quilt? If the latter, make sure she knows the amount involved, and that you get the money beforehand. Non-quilters have no conception of the cost that goes into a quilt.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

TAKE her to the store to buy the fabric, backing, batting, and thread, and let HER pay for it all. I promise this is the only way to educate and count on your friends to understand what they are asking you to do. Then let her take you to lunch as a partial payment for doing all the work. (The rest of the payment can come when she takes you to lunch again when you give her the quilt -- at the restaurant!)

Jan in VA
Old 09-11-2014, 06:50 AM

If you are going to make a quilt for anyone, friend or client, you really need to sit down with them and go over what the cost of the quilt includes, so they are not surprised at the end. Put it in writing, make 2 copies, one for each of you, and have them sign both copies. That way, you have proof when they say "I had no idea it would cost that much." And, IMHO, you need to get payment of at least 1/2 of the cost before you begin the quilt, and set a deadline as to how long they have to pay the other half once the quilt is finished. If they don't meet the payment deadline, the quilt is yours to do with as you wish. That way, they have a vested interest in actually getting the quilt. This may sound cynical, but once you've been burned, you do everything you can to protect yourself.

Of course, if you do this, it becomes a business. That's why I give my quilts away. But I am very, very picky about who gets one.

Originally Posted by greyhounder View Post
I told them they can pay when its finished.... whenever that is!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:26 AM

It is so nice to do something for a friend. Something you and she will remember forever. Makes both of you feel good and you just wait, you will be paid in full somehow someway. Bless you for your kind actions.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:08 PM

I have made quilts for friends. So far I haven't had one not appreciate it. Family is another thing. If she's a close friend, have fun picking out fabrics and let her pay for it.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:15 PM

Some non-quilters don't even buy quilting fabric. I had one person who couldn't understand for anything why you can't mix-and-match different fabrics in the same quilt & expect it to wash well week after week. They may pick something because it is pretty, shiny, soft, or has a nice pattern even if it is home deco, rayon, polyester, 100% wool... yeah. good times. hehehe.
My favorite was someone who wanted a patchwork crib quilt where every other square was made with satin material. She had satin sheets on her bed & thought it would be a nice touch for her baby. *smh*

Last edited by Bree123; 09-11-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 AM

Beautiful quilt. Love those colors.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:00 AM

I bet she will love it! Sounds like a good plan.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:12 AM

very pretty quilt! where can I find/ buy the pattern?
Old 09-12-2014, 05:05 AM

Oh, it pretty! Sooo colorful! Great job & thanks for sharing...