Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A friend asked if I would make her a quilt. >

A friend asked if I would make her a quilt.

A friend asked if I would make her a quilt.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by purly View Post
very pretty quilt! where can I find/ buy the pattern?
Should be on Missouri Star quilt company tuts, she has a bunch of them. New one came out today.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:22 PM

Of course she loves it - it's pretty. I'm flattered if someone likes my quilt and wants one. And I like to make them for people that I think will appreciate it. But if you can't afford the cost, at least get her to buy the supplies.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
Should be on Missouri Star quilt company tuts, she has a bunch of them. New one came out today.
thank you!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:51 PM

Good Luck with this. Do you want to make her the quilt? From my experience, people try to take advantage of me. My neighbor/friend recently asked if I could hem some curtains for her. She was renovating this large building. I didn't want to do it and didn't really say yes or no - which should have been taken as a no, so she shows up with 14 pairs of curtains. I did one pair, returned the stack with it and said sorry it took me over an hour to do the one pair and I simply don't have time to do the rest and gave her the number of someone who sews for a living. I don't. I work at a hospital all day.

I think people think because you sew you must not have anything else to do. NOT the case.

I only sew and give my things away. Only my children and niece have gotten quilts so far but I'm only beginning so who knows.

Best of luck. I'm sure she will love it if you make it for her.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by purly View Post
very pretty quilt! where can I find/ buy the pattern?
This one is called "Double Layer Slice Cake Quilt" by MSQC.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
Of course she loves it - it's pretty. I'm flattered if someone likes my quilt and wants one. And I like to make them for people that I think will appreciate it. But if you can't afford the cost, at least get her to buy the supplies.
Thank you for posting this. Our neighbors of 23yrs are moving next week, I'm planning on making them a New House Warming gift of a quilt with pictures of all the neighbors in it and this quilt will be perfect for the sizes of pictures to put in at various places, so again thank you for reminding me of this quilt.
Jeri
Old 09-13-2014, 02:39 AM

Ladies, the two letter word is one of the most powerful and agonizing word for us to use. NO. no need to lie, beat around the bush, apologize, etc. When people ask me to "make them" something, i explain how many HOURS go into the project. That stops them in their tracks. I am not making an excuse, I tell it like it is.

i recently posted my handmade Raggedy Ann as my profile picture on my Facebook page. The former organist at my church emailed me asking if I still made them. I explained, no, I have 40 hours in each doll. Never heard a reply from her....not even to offer to "pay". I wonder who the doll was for. She does not have kids. I am sure she does not play the organ for a wedding at "no charge" either. In fact, the rate for her to play at a wedding Mass is $150.00.

N O. Say it politely!

Sandy
Old 09-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Purly - it was just called the Layer Cake quilt, I think, and it's a Missouri Star Quilt Co. pattern - made with one packet of 10" squares (called a layer cake) plus 2 extra squares of a similar color from my stash.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:05 PM

Thanks, all! I told her we would go shopping together for the fabric, so that should take care of the cost issue. I will really have to work on my N.O., though! There's not enough time already to get all the quilts done that I want to do!
Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 AM

remember, "No" is a complete sentence.