Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Friends don't let friends buy ugly fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redrummy
    I tell them it isn't my taste, I want to be honest with the,just in case they were thinking of making me something.
    Haha! I love that answer!

Once a freind asked me what yarns I would pick for an afghan for HER mother, and I picked an ethnic theme of colors for her mom's heritage.
    Turns out it was for actually for me, and I disliked the color combinations for myself. The afghan was gorgeous but not to my taste.

So there is a place for honesty.

Ikee p my mouth shut - because it is usually my sister who is HYPER critical of me!

I'm honest. I try to be tactful about it. If it's too hideous, it's hard not to keep the horror off of my face. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wv

*Ugly* fabric can be beautiful in the right conditions. If someone asks me if I like something that I really don't I try and find the positive in it. A QB asked me about some fabric that I thought was terribly busy and ugly, I told her while I didn't care for the print especially I did like the shade of blue. Turns out when it was all stitched up she's brought in other fabrics to really bring out the blues, and I didn't even notice the print when it was all quilted.

Even an ugly child is beautiful in her mother's sight. I might say its "interesting", or "might be a challenge" to work with, or "Wow! that's really something!". We can't usually truly see thru another's eye to see what calls them to buy fabric that to us seems hideous. If the fabric's voice is loud enough they sure won't hear us.

Blog Entries
    It really depends on what we are shopping for. If for a specific project I voice my honest opinion regarding color, pattern size, etc. If we are just buying on spec ( don't really know what we are going to do with the fabric) I just say "It's Pretty". Sooner or later they will find a project for the fabric. I may not like it, but so what. I'm sure all my purchases aren't to my friends liking.

Blog Entries
    Same with me. I have passed over some truly ugly prints, in my formative quilting years! - that I later went back and took another look at, because even though the thing itself was not splendid, yet it took on a real beauty when paired up with other fabrics. You know, as a blender or as a "homely sister" to the other fabrics, really bringing out the pattern of the quilt.

I don't ask, I don't tell.

My best friend and I frequently go shopping together and have somewhat similar taste, but like different colors best. Her all-time favorite is shocking lime green, a color I'm not particularly fond of. However she just gushes over it and I'll half-heartedly agree that yes it's lovely...and add, it's definitely your color!

Honestly, I think it all depends on what the quilter wants to do with the fabric. Once fabric is cut up, it takes on a whole new life. And when the right fabrics are combined with it, it can be very beautiful. Now to get back to the question -- if I'm asked for my opinion, I will give it, but will ask how it will be used. A real artist can work wonders. Some people just have a real knack for putting together.

My friends pretty much know what I like. Every once in a while they will show me something and I will just look at it and say eewwwww. I cant' help it. It just comes out. :oops: :oops:

Blog Entries
    My husband often shops with me for quilt fabric. He is red/green color blind. That means certain colors don't look good to him and I do care about his opinion. Even though he can't appreciate my favorite colors 'hot pink', 'fuschia', etc., he does see the blue in those colors. Depending on what else was mixed into the dyes were used for the fabric, some of them look really good to him. So, like your wife, I don't buy some fabrics that he says are ugly and I do buy some that look very appealing to me. That balances both of us.

Sometimes a person likes a certain fabric for no apparent reason. I tell them if you must have that particular fabric buy it but don't use it in a quilt. Make something else with it.
    I have a friend who was making a beautiful Anniversary quilt for her husband of 50 years and the main fabric was gold, burgundy and greens. She wanted to put in a bright orange and I told her it would ruin the beautiful quilt she was making. So she used it in another quilt which worked well.
    I sat be honest especially with a friend.

i am the kind of person that if i dont like something i will tell it like it is thats what friends are for !!!!

Blog Entries
    I would say nice colors but not the pattern if it was 4 me
    or i like it but peter to be cotton as i :mrgreen:

Honesty is always the best policy and sometimes, unfortunately, it will get you in the dog house! ;-)
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

mosaicthinking
    No chance of posting photo of quilt. It was gifted long ago. I'd suggest you just sort of cut small pieces and go with the flow. You might even try putting pieces into a paper bag, close your eyes and pull out a piece and use it.DON'T PUT IT BACK. pLEASE POST A PICTURE WHEN YOU'RE DONE, BEFORE YOU GIVE IT AWAY....

I have learned to say little about a fabric I don't like. My sister and a friend have used some fabrics I thought would never go together, then voila, a beautiful quilt appears.
    Then there is the challenge of taking a fabric someone thinks is ugly and turning it into an awesome quilt. I was once challenged by the leader of a group I once belonged to. I didn't think the fabric was that bad to begin with. She loved the quilt I made. The colors I used with it made the pretty colors in the fabric stand out.

My sister does this great ummmm mmmmaybe when I try on something that looks awful, Sometimes I try on things that I know will look disgusting just to watch her struggle to say something nice. LOL

There's always a way to be honest and tactful. Your shopping partners have different tastes than you do, so see it thru their eyes too. Knowing in advance the way someone accepts constructive suggestions is key. If they want you to be blunt, do so. If they respond better to something less obvious, do it that way.

Either way, allow them to maintain their dignity at their choices.

I'd be honest, but then smile if she bought them anyway. You know by telling her it was ugly you laid the challenge down for her to prove you wrong :)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4