Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugal or Extravagant?

On this date two years ago, I bought a 2 series Bernina right before they went to the 3 series, purchased 2 pairs of gingher scissors, a olfa rotary cutter and a cutting mat. I have taken at least 8 classes and today I finished my first quilt ever. It is a wall hanging and it is about 3 feet x 3 feet. I have several works in progress and all stages.

Currently I have working on machine quilting another wall hanging, that I started in a quilting class I took last year. I love quilting it is sort of like vegetable garden.

You can invest a lot of money in gardening tools and plants, seeds etc. but in the end it is the love and care that makes it a vegetable garden.

Power Poster
    I should have worded the original question better.

I have finally learned - that for appliances, etc. that much of the time the best value for us is in the 40-75% range - not the top of the line, not the bottom of the line, but around the middle of the line.

Sometimes all the bells and whistles are just too complex for me to figure out. Sometimes those seem to be the first things to fail. A lot of the time it's the budget that says: This is what you can afford. Deal with it.

I buy quality or I do without, and I don't buy anything on impulse...except maybe chocolate. It's not frugality or extravagance...it's just plain Yankee heritage.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
    i do not have a harbor freight near by. i do not have a fabric shop either. only walmart. i do not have a long arm to do quilting of my quilts. we have nothing in this area. wish i knew how to advertize that we need these things hear.
    It is fortunate that you can order from the internet ... maybe not feel or touch the items before sale, but still an effective method.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Sewing and quilting is my hobby and should be fun and not an exercise in frustration so quality matters. I really believe in having quality tools, ie. sewing machine, notions, and fabric. In the same breath...I love a bargain too. I use coupons whenever possible and watch for sales to get the best for less.

I also save in other areas. I'd venture a guess that I have fewer clothes and shoes than most women. In addition, I save a cosiderable amount of money on food. Again, I stock up on things when they are on sale and make use of coupons. I cook and rarely use convenience foods.

In years past I had to shop price before quality. Today, our budget is larger, but old habits die hard so I always try to get the best for the best price. Quality doesn't have to break the bank...you just need to hunt a bit.
    *~~~Janet~~~*

Blog Entries
    I assure you the boys will love the Ginghers --especially when they find out they can fix the edges after they use them tying flies! LOL The nicks from wire cutting however necessitate fessing up and forking the $$$ over for replacements. Just ask my son! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    LOVE this reply....it is the truth...why spend money on a lesser quality TOOL when the tools are make the craft? That would be like a home builder using a staple gun, duct tape, and elmers glue to build a house...TOOLS need to be the best;..and to me things like Gingher's are an heirloom item to be handed down...I just hope my boys like my collection..hehehhe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

I have finally learned - that for appliances, etc. that much of the time the best value for us is in the 40-75% range - not the top of the line, not the bottom of the line, but around the middle of the line.

Sometimes all the bells and whistles are just too complex for me to figure out. Sometimes those seem to be the first things to fail. A lot of the time it's the budget that says: This is what you can afford. Deal with it.
    Bear - this what my father always said about buying a car that was loaded with extra options. The more bells and whistles something has, the more that can go wrong with it!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I guess I can go either way depending on how much I have to spend at the time..usually on the frugal end tho

I understand what you mean about buying mid-range appliances. My requirements are: does it do what I want it to do; does it have a good track record on repairs; is it easy to use; and can I afford it?

When it comes to quilting, I tend to be a little fussier, believe it or not. I believe in quality -- not just highest price -- in my tools. Yet I'm frugal as well, and I do that with sales. For instance, I just found my favorite brand and type of sewing machine needles - the ones I use all the time - on a fabulous sale - 75% off - Gasp! - so I bought 100 needles. That will last me at least 2 years. There was a big sale on Olfa 45mm rotary cutting blades -- 60% off - so I bought 50 blades. Big one time investments. Means I can't, for example, buy fabric this month. But then I won't need to buy needles or blades for the next two years or so. Unless I need a special needle, something like that. So I always keep a "stash" of cash for these kinds of sales so I can stock up on the quality items I know I'll both need and use when they go on a crash sale. It saves me big time, with the prices going up all the time, and I'm not forever running out of things. People have been surprised by this -- the same people who wouldn't​ be surprised to find a basement stuffed with a fabric stash! Same thing, just different items. LOL!
    MacThayer

I prefer to use quality equipment, but that doesn't necessarily mean expensive. I am a frugal shopper and look for bargain prices on name brands. I like my Olfa ergo cutter & mat. I love my portable Brother sewing machine that was very inexpensive and consistently works well. I won't skimp on thread, learned a lesson there. Not a scissors snob, I have a pair of Ginghers that were my sister's but don't like them. I prefer Fiskars because they're lightweight.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

I don't worry about getting the 'best,' 'cheapest ', or whatever. If I want something bad enough and I have the money, I get it. Like my new truck with all the bells and whistles.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like the think I am frugal. I look for the best buys, and stock up when I see a good sale if I can. I do use Harbor Freight blades and am good with that. If I get a bad one, which has been rare, I just use that blade to cut Christmas, birthday paper and other crafty items with. (a tip from my neighbor).You would be surprised at the life still in a blade.
    I like good quality material and don't compromise on that. I find quality in many things that doesn't have to cost a fortune, like an old Singer for instance. It is all good!

I guess it depends on what I'm getting. When I bought a new machine I looked for one that had everything I wanted and then at the price. I buy fabric mostly at Hancocks's. A couple times I have bought a kit on the spur of the moment and then regretted how much I paid for something I did not love. I guess it's a process. No matter where we are at in our quilting journey we learn what is frugal or extravagant for us as individuals. Just my opinion.
    Holly

Aurifil thread is the only brand I use, the machine is happy (almost no lint) so I am happy, too. Also, the Harbor Freight cutter blades always seem to have a dull spot, so I don't use them, now. Back to Olfa!!

I agree with you bearisgray, I learn a lot everyday. Thanks everyone for posting your ideas etc.
    Pat
    Patsy

Banned
    I'll spend for whatever I think I'll find useful
    I've had best results with Martelli blades.
    Harbor Freight are useful for utility quilts but not when I need really good cuts.
    Am devoted to my Steady Betty for ironing as I piece. Have the large and the small.
    For threads: Aurifil and Superior's Bottom Line
    For needles: Superior's titanium #12
    Am probably the only quilter on the Board who dislikes Gingher scissors and I have alot of them, most of them unused. I prefer Fiskars. The one Gingher exception is their thread clipper - like that alot.

I would have to say that I'm frugal. I don't really care about brand names, but like anyone else, I want the most for my money. I did buy the Alto's QuiltCut2 brand new, tried to bid on one on ebay, but lost, so at that time my DH was still living, and he said just go ahead and get what you want! When I first started really getting in to quilting, I bought some rulers, most that I've rarely if ever used. The rotary blades-I ordered some from Harbor Freight, am using them, but will never buy them again. Fabric - probly most of mine is from walmart, ordered from people on here, but since living here, we do have a LQS, I shop there, she has sales, and some reasonably priced fabrics. As far as other things, I'll only buy Heinz ketchup! LOL!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I like gadgets and things to make my quilting easier and quicker so i can make more! LOL . I rarely buy when not on sale. But I've got to say- I have totally, totally fallen in love with the Vintage Modern line from Moda! I have decided that even though it's not on sale at my LQS, i am going to get it! They have a punch card system. I looked on line but it's about the same price everywhere.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Power Poster
    For some fabrics, it's get it now or forget it!

With hindsight being so wonderful, there are a lot of things I may have done differently.

Makes more sense to spend X one time than 1/4X six times!
    That was what my Mother always taught me. She saved her "pin money" for several years to buy a cashmere winter coat. Everyone thought she was crazy to spend that much $$$ on a coat. But that sucker wore like iron for YEARS! So I, too, try to buy for longevity.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chips88 View Post
    i do not have a harbor freight near by. i do not have a fabric shop either. only walmart. i do not have a long arm to do quilting of my quilts. we have nothing in this area. wish i knew how to advertize that we need these things hear.
    Where I live the saris and other ready made garments are fabulous! But, try to find good quality cotton that will not shrink every time you wash it! I have shopped at one place years ago, but now they do not carry what they call "foreign cloth." I can understand they want to cater to their own looms, but that prejudice surely frustrates a quilter. It also frustrates anyone who is used to cool, cotton blends for clothing that can be worn without ironing.

We go home every year and I do my best to find good cloth, scissors, cutting blades and or mats every time we go. I usually can't order online unless I want to ship it to a US address and then wait to get it a year later. Shipping overseas is out of the question. Now that the airlines limit us to one suitcase and one small carry-on, I have to be judicious about what I bring back.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    That was what my Mother always taught me. She saved her "pin money" for several years to buy a cashmere winter coat. Everyone thought she was crazy to spend that much $$$ on a coat. But that sucker wore like iron for YEARS! So I, too, try to buy for longevity.
    And I'm sure as she waited to save enough, that she had many pleasant dreams of that coat ... and then oh, the pride in wearing it long after!!

What a different world today ... the disposable society, seldom thinks about longevity and wear and tear! More so, something that can be worn for a year or two (and for some, just a season) and then toss it! Or hard goods that will do the job for a short time and then onwards to something else.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    Am probably the only quilter on the Board who dislikes Gingher scissors and I have alot of them, most of them unused. I prefer Fiskars. The one Gingher exception is their thread clipper - like that alot.
    I have enjoyed my Fiskars, and they seem to last a long time. My experience with Gingher scissors has been mostly good, but there was a time when I get a bad pair. They had a snag on them from the time I opened the box. It was like some little kid had cut wire with them or something--of course the company I bought them from denied any responsibility. I have never appreciated that company for cloth or tools even though there seems to be a shop on every corner.

Then another problem with Ginghers has been the person who sharpens them. Once I sent a pair in to be sharpened by a "certified" Gingher sharpener and was to pick them up the next week. They were not done at the appointed time, and I was desperate to have them before we flew back here. Supposedly the man who was to do them would get to it that afternoon, so I agreed. What happened? He took off part of both sides and from that day forward there was no point. I guess the best way to esplain it is to say I could not cut cloth to a point after that. Make sense? My ddil has taken them to several places to see if they could be repaired and each shop has said the scissors are ruined. I do not think it is the fault of the Gingher company, but it probably is the fault of the ones selling or sharpening them.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Quote Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
    Where I live the saris and other ready made garments are fabulous! But, try to find good quality cotton that will not shrink every time you wash it! I have shopped at one place years ago, but now they do not carry what they call "foreign cloth." I can understand they want to cater to their own looms, but that prejudice surely frustrates a quilter. It also frustrates anyone who is used to cool, cotton blends for clothing that can be worn without ironing.

We go home every year and I do my best to find good cloth, scissors, cutting blades and or mats every time we go. I usually can't order online unless I want to ship it to a US address and then wait to get it a year later. Shipping overseas is out of the question. Now that the airlines limit us to one suitcase and one small carry-on, I have to be judicious about what I bring back.
    I would pack just a few sets of clothes and keep washing them, over and over, in order to save suitcase space for fabric!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

What you've described so well is a common sense approach to buying/spending. I try to always buy quality (not as easy to be sure as it used to be, though, it seems to me) in goods and appliances for the long term....and I agree about the bells and whistles. If you don't need/use them, why pay for them? Disposable goods are something else and I buy those depending on how well I like the cheaper or store brand once I've tried it. I won't buy watery ketchup no matter how cheap, nor rock filled dried beans or cheese that doesn't taste anything like cheese. But, as I've said ad nauseum, those who insist on buying only name brands (Del Monte, as an example) should realize that the canning factory that canned those beans are also canning Kroger brand beans, Wal-Mart brand beans, and Albertson brand beans. Same beans out of the same cooker, same conveyor; they just changed the labels. (We had a food canning plant in my town and I know people who worked there).

I guess I'm not a product snob. If it works and lasts, it's fine with me and I don't care about the brand unless personal experience has told me to stay away from it. The truth is most of what we buy these days--whatever the manufacturer--is probably made in China, anyway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast