Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frugal or Extravagant? >

Frugal or Extravagant?

Frugal or Extravagant?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM

I assure you the boys will love the Ginghers --especially when they find out they can fix the edges after they use them tying flies! LOL The nicks from wire cutting however necessitate fessing up and forking the $$$ over for replacements. Just ask my son! LOL
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
LOVE this reply....it is the truth...why spend money on a lesser quality TOOL when the tools are make the craft? That would be like a home builder using a staple gun, duct tape, and elmers glue to build a house...TOOLS need to be the best;..and to me things like Gingher's are an heirloom item to be handed down...I just hope my boys like my collection..hehehhe
Old 07-29-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I should have worded the original question better.

I have finally learned - that for appliances, etc. that much of the time the best value for us is in the 40-75% range - not the top of the line, not the bottom of the line, but around the middle of the line.

Sometimes all the bells and whistles are just too complex for me to figure out. Sometimes those seem to be the first things to fail. A lot of the time it's the budget that says: This is what you can afford. Deal with it.
Bear - this what my father always said about buying a car that was loaded with extra options. The more bells and whistles something has, the more that can go wrong with it!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM

I guess I can go either way depending on how much I have to spend at the time..usually on the frugal end tho
Old 07-29-2012, 04:13 PM

I understand what you mean about buying mid-range appliances. My requirements are: does it do what I want it to do; does it have a good track record on repairs; is it easy to use; and can I afford it?

When it comes to quilting, I tend to be a little fussier, believe it or not. I believe in quality -- not just highest price -- in my tools. Yet I'm frugal as well, and I do that with sales. For instance, I just found my favorite brand and type of sewing machine needles - the ones I use all the time - on a fabulous sale - 75% off - Gasp! - so I bought 100 needles. That will last me at least 2 years. There was a big sale on Olfa 45mm rotary cutting blades -- 60% off - so I bought 50 blades. Big one time investments. Means I can't, for example, buy fabric this month. But then I won't need to buy needles or blades for the next two years or so. Unless I need a special needle, something like that. So I always keep a "stash" of cash for these kinds of sales so I can stock up on the quality items I know I'll both need and use when they go on a crash sale. It saves me big time, with the prices going up all the time, and I'm not forever running out of things. People have been surprised by this -- the same people who wouldn't​ be surprised to find a basement stuffed with a fabric stash! Same thing, just different items. LOL!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 PM

I prefer to use quality equipment, but that doesn't necessarily mean expensive. I am a frugal shopper and look for bargain prices on name brands. I like my Olfa ergo cutter & mat. I love my portable Brother sewing machine that was very inexpensive and consistently works well. I won't skimp on thread, learned a lesson there. Not a scissors snob, I have a pair of Ginghers that were my sister's but don't like them. I prefer Fiskars because they're lightweight.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I don't worry about getting the 'best,' 'cheapest ', or whatever. If I want something bad enough and I have the money, I get it. Like my new truck with all the bells and whistles.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 PM

I like the think I am frugal. I look for the best buys, and stock up when I see a good sale if I can. I do use Harbor Freight blades and am good with that. If I get a bad one, which has been rare, I just use that blade to cut Christmas, birthday paper and other crafty items with. (a tip from my neighbor).You would be surprised at the life still in a blade.
I like good quality material and don't compromise on that. I find quality in many things that doesn't have to cost a fortune, like an old Singer for instance. It is all good!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 AM

I guess it depends on what I'm getting. When I bought a new machine I looked for one that had everything I wanted and then at the price. I buy fabric mostly at Hancocks's. A couple times I have bought a kit on the spur of the moment and then regretted how much I paid for something I did not love. I guess it's a process. No matter where we are at in our quilting journey we learn what is frugal or extravagant for us as individuals. Just my opinion.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:54 AM

Aurifil thread is the only brand I use, the machine is happy (almost no lint) so I am happy, too. Also, the Harbor Freight cutter blades always seem to have a dull spot, so I don't use them, now. Back to Olfa!!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 AM

I agree with you bearisgray, I learn a lot everyday. Thanks everyone for posting your ideas etc.
Pat