Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun project for 2018 >

Fun project for 2018

Fun project for 2018

Old 12-25-2017, 11:38 AM

there are so very many fun things for a group to do but 2 that I enjoyed the most took creativity and lots of thinking one was a round robin you make the center block and then it goes around to each member to add a border your choice if to add fabric or they use their own another was to take a word or group of words and make a quilt fitting to those words all was kept secret until our final meeting with a pot luck those were both so much fun
Old 12-25-2017, 12:42 PM

I am liking the Round Robin idea & using our own fabrics. It seems when others add to it, sometimes is not what you would choose. (if you know what I mean). Anyone else have input on a round robin quilt? Thanks you guys for all your ideas so far. This is fun

Last edited by fallonquilter; 12-25-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
Our local shop has a sew in night every month. One year they did a pizza party, were supplied with new, clean pizza boxes (kind of like the shoebox idea) and brought their own fabric for a quilt. They drew numbers and passed the boxes to the next number (one gave her box to two, etc) that person made a center square of whatever size they chose. Then the next month the box was passed to the next number and that person added a border (could be pieced or not), etc. At the end the quilt was finished or nearly so. I think they were able to add additional fabrics if they wanted. The recipient got to see it at each meeting, but had no input! Every one was pleased!
I like this idea!!
Old 12-25-2017, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fallonquilter View Post
What would be a fun project for our small quilt group, of ten women, to do this year?? We meet weekly at my house. And are looking for ideas of what others do as a group.
We did a shoe box quilt last year and that was fun. The year before we did a mystery quilt. So something along those lines would be great. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Looking for quilts other than donation (we do this already) or 1 quilt made buy the whole group. More interested in ideas similar to the Round Robin or shoe box ideas if possible. Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

Last edited by fallonquilter; 12-25-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Perhaps they would like to share the pattern info with you.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I just wanted to say hi to you from the city of reno. I enjoy taking a drive out there once in a while just to see what all is happening to the growth of the city.
You might talk to some of the gals who are members of the truckee meadows quilt guild. (They have a web site with all the numbers for conacting them) Many of them are also members of small groups cottage style. They are really nice ladies, and I bet they would give you a few ideas too. You could visit the day time group as a day trip easily and who knows, maybe have time for shopping the fabric stores too. Just a suggestion ...
Old 12-25-2017, 07:01 PM

I love thinmblebug's house block idea. That would be a blast and the quilts would so beautiful, like the one she's showing on thread. Course, some don't care for appliquing. There are so many neat and creative ideas on the swap thread, too, you could try with your group.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:05 PM

We picked a focal fabric and a sampler pattern. Everyone had to use the focal fabric someplace in the quilt. The rest of the fabrics each person picked their own. It was amazing the different looks we got. Our biggest problem was the sampler pattern we chose was from an older book and not always easy to follow. It was a big learning challenge for me as I had never done a desdan or Y seams.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
I just wanted to say hi to you from the city of reno. I enjoy taking a drive out there once in a while just to see what all is happening to the growth of the city.
You might talk to some of the gals who are members of the truckee meadows quilt guild. (They have a web site with all the numbers for conacting them) Many of them are also members of small
groups cottage style. They are really nice ladies, and I bet they would give you a few ideas too.
You could visit the day time group as a day trip easily and who knows, maybe have time for
shopping the fabric stores too. Just a suggestion ...
That's a great idea. Thank you. And Hi from Fallon. My email addresses is [email protected]. If you get to Fallon let me know and we could meet up!!
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
I love thinmblebug's house block idea. That would be a blast and the quilts would so beautiful, like the one she's showing on thread. Course, some don't care for appliquing. There are so many neat and creative ideas on the swap thread, too, you could try with your group.
Swap thread?? I don't know about this.