Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fun project for 2018 >

Fun project for 2018

Fun project for 2018

Old 12-26-2017, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
There are eight ladies in my group, one year we decided to make a "house" quilt and swap blocks with each other. So I made 8 blocks with the same pattern but colours that I thought each person would like and added embellishments. A few people asked for one colour sky and they gave each of us a piece, I decided to give everyone a piece of the grey mottled fabric to include a small piece at least in each of the blocks. It was fun, one lady made an outhouse, one lady a log cabin; one has 3 birdhouses in it; one is a barn, one is an old school; the bottom row has quilt shops. The ninth block we got our group picture and transferred it to fabric and I appliquéd our little logo of a ladybug crawling out of a thimble. Each of us ended up with a similar but unique wallhanging. Here is mine. [ATTACH=CONFIG]585940[/ATTACH]
This is adorable. What a fun idea!!
Old 12-26-2017, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by fallonquilter View Post
Jmoore-That's what the shoe box quilt thing is all about. We each picked a focus fabric, then 3 coordinates, put them in a box with our name on it and passed it around. Each person in our group made a 12 1/2" block of their choice to put in the box . In the end you get all these unique blocks, made by your friends, with the colors You chose. Now we are looking to do something different, but similar as it was Sew much fun.
I didn't know what a shoe box quilt was. So was glad you explained. It sounded like it would have been a wonderful surprise to receive back.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:04 AM

Love that " house " quilt idea. One yr. a group of us did a row quilt. Each started with a first riw, and a note about theme and colour...then it went to the next person who added second row...we all did this ( a row robin?). In the end we all had unique quilts with themes & colours we liked. Most were horizontal rows, but mine was vertical.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by fallonquilter View Post
Swap thread?? I don't know about this.
I'm fairly new (this month) to the board and discovered the "Member Swap" thread from the Forum menu. I joined the Summertime 2018 block swap and I'm having a ball....plus I'm meeting some awesome people and will have their beautiful work in my future quilt. That would be a fun group project and you'd have a fun quilt at the end of it. Here is the link to swap thread that has dozens of ideas...

https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...ow-robins-f11/
Old 12-27-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
Love that " house " quilt idea. One yr. a group of us did a row quilt. Each started with a first riw, and a note about theme and colour...then it went to the next person who added second row...we all did this ( a row robin?). In the end we all had unique quilts with themes & colours we liked. Most were horizontal rows, but mine was vertical.
The house one won't work because only about 1/2 the group does appliqué. (Darn)