Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Garage Sale Score!

  1. #1
    Super Member Twisted Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,913
    Went to a garage sale and got the June Tailor shape cutter and a Dritz 'thingy' for $3.00 total! I'm so glad I got lazy and didn't go to JoAnn's as planned, a couple of weeks ago.

    Hopefully this will help speed up the cutting for my Buckeye Beauty. I think I have about 1092 squares left to do.

    WooHooooooooooooooooo! :lol:

  2. #2
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    15,937
    Blog Entries
    2
    Don't you just love when you find a fabulous deal!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Power Poster RedGarnet222's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Reno, Nv
    Posts
    14,514
    Oh great find especially since you were looking to buy a set anyway.

  4. #4
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    great find and now you have more $ to buy fabric or gadgets

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    1
    Good for you!!!! Now you will be all set for your project!!:)

  6. #6
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    That's so good to hear. I get so tired of my local JoAnn's superstore. I dread going there as it's never a good experience from start to finish, ever. Glad you got the needed supplies to keep the creativity flowing. :thumbup:

  7. #7
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    981
    Not to bash on Joann's or anything but when I was there earlier this week the lady in front of me wanted to return an opened paint set that she bought (I believe that is what it was). She did not have her receipt. She wasn't asking for her money back just to exchange it for a different one. And they told her NO. No returns or exchanges without a receipt! They told her that she could return it and in 8 weeks roughly she would get a refund check in the mail! I couldn't believe it. Better keep those receipts Joann's shoppers :)

  8. #8
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    19,685
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Not to bash on Joann's or anything but when I was there earlier this week the lady in front of me wanted to return an opened paint set that she bought (I believe that is what it was). She did not have her receipt. She wasn't asking for her money back just to exchange it for a different one. And they told her NO. No returns or exchanges without a receipt! They told her that she could return it and in 8 weeks roughly she would get a refund check in the mail! I couldn't believe it. Better keep those receipts Joann's shoppers :)
    I really don't blame stores for being unwilling to do refunds or exchanges without a receipt. They have been burned by unscrupulous people way too many times.

    And every time someone cheats a store - by theft, unwarranted returns, etc. - that just makes their cost of business go up - which in turn makes the cost of buying things from them go up, also.

  9. #9
    Super Member ghostrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,662
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Not to bash on Joann's or anything but when I was there earlier this week the lady in front of me wanted to return an opened paint set that she bought (I believe that is what it was). She did not have her receipt. She wasn't asking for her money back just to exchange it for a different one. And they told her NO. No returns or exchanges without a receipt! They told her that she could return it and in 8 weeks roughly she would get a refund check in the mail! I couldn't believe it. Better keep those receipts Joann's shoppers :)
    I'm confused. First you say they told her NO returns without a receipt, then you say they said she COULD return it and receive a refund in 8 weeks.

    Even if a store is the only one of it's kind and the item was clearly purchased from them, they still don't have to accept it back without a receipt because they don't know when (or if) it was purchased and at what price. If it was bought on sale (or stolen), they shouldn't have to "assume" the loss of a full price refund.

  10. #10
    quiltluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lost in a quilt shop :-)
    Posts
    1,353
    Some stores will refund with the current price, even if it was lower that what was originally paid.

    Either way, I personally save all my receipts, cash/debit/charge until the statement comes and then still save until the end of the tax year before throwing out any unneeded receipts. It's a lot of papers to sort but it's saved me many a time.

  11. #11
    ruthieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lake Worth, FL
    Posts
    212
    I have had no problems with JoAnn's. The salespeople there are just the nicest I have had waiting on me.
    Congrats on the good yard sale find.

  12. #12
    Senior Member LovinMySoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Not to bash on Joann's or anything but when I was there earlier this week the lady in front of me wanted to return an opened paint set that she bought (I believe that is what it was). She did not have her receipt. She wasn't asking for her money back just to exchange it for a different one. And they told her NO. No returns or exchanges without a receipt! They told her that she could return it and in 8 weeks roughly she would get a refund check in the mail! I couldn't believe it. Better keep those receipts Joann's shoppers :)
    I'm confused. First you say they told her NO returns without a receipt, then you say they said she COULD return it and receive a refund in 8 weeks.

    Even if a store is the only one of it's kind and the item was clearly purchased from them, they still don't have to accept it back without a receipt because they don't know when (or if) it was purchased and at what price. If it was bought on sale (or stolen), they shouldn't have to "assume" the loss of a full price refund.
    Yeah she said No first. Then later told her she could give the item back today but they would have to send the money back today. I guess I just didn't see the harm in making the exchange if it was almost the exact same item, and unopened. Too many dishonest people in the world today.

  13. #13
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    What great finds!!! Happy Cutting :D:D:D

  14. #14
    Super Member hperttula123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,439
    great find...and I bought a paper pack(for scrapbooking) at Joanns. Got it home and found that someone had taken out all the stickers and velum paper out of it. I took it back with the reciept and asked to just exchange it for one that has all the stuff in it and they told me that because it wasn't on sale anymore that I'd have to pay full price for it. Now it was on sale at half off when I bought it and they wanted me to pay another $9 to just exchange it for a new one. I was not happy about that and just took my old one back and stormed outta there. That was the only problem I've ever had with them. I'm just careful to check everything before I buy it.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    1
    I do like JoAnns because overall they have a good variety and their prices are reasonable especially with sales.

    I did have a problem 2 days ago, however, when I tried to make a purchase for my DD.
    I bought a piece of fabric with my coupon from my flyer and then asked to make a separate purchase of a pack of needles for my DD using her flyer's coupon. The sales clerk would not let me do the second purchase using the coupon stating that I am only allowed one coupon purchase per day. My DDs flyer has a separate address and name on it - I was doing her a favor buying the needles to save her a trip out. I asked the clerk that if I left the store and came back in to make the purchase using the new flyer if it would be accepted and she said no, that I could not use another flyer because she knows I've already made a purchase using a coupon that day.
    I have never had this happen before, especially for a separate purchase and separate flyer - I know that I will definitely not go back to that specific JoAnns again and will go to others that are easier to purchase from.

  16. #16
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,044
    What a great find!

  17. #17
    Super Member Twisted Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,913
    Uh-Oh, somebody changed my title. I guess it wasn't appropriate (TAKE THAT JoAnn's). :oops:

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,395
    Blog Entries
    1
    Oops really sorry did't mean to high jack your thread- just had to tell what happened to me.

  19. #19
    Super Member Twisted Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Oops really sorry did't mean to high jack your thread- just had to tell what happened to me.
    No need for an apology costumegirl, I wasn't talking about the thread changing. This thread actually had a different title. It started out 'TAKE THAT JoANN's', but was changed to read 'Garage Sale Score' by one of the moderators or adm. At least I could have been notified of the reason so I could change 'my own' title. :hunf:

    I know, small potatoes but... :hunf:

  20. #20
    dls
    dls is offline
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    116
    The shape cutter is a great tool

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.