Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GASP! Small fabric piece is now damaged in completed quilt top! >

GASP! Small fabric piece is now damaged in completed quilt top!

GASP! Small fabric piece is now damaged in completed quilt top!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I would applique another square piece over the damaged piece, with Wonder-Under or applique by hand, turning the edges over so it would probably never sew. Remember rule No. 5 - if you make a mistake, don't tell anyone, even the quilt police as they probably won't notice it anyway. Besides, the Amish always deliberately put a "mistake" into every quilt they make - as only God is perfect.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I usually find that taking out and replacing the offending piece (whether it's damaged or set incorrectly) takes far less time than I have already spent agonizing over it.
LOL, Dunster! Just what I was thinking, but you said it better! I'm a little too obsessive-compulsive to just patch over it, and have had experience with removing and replacing patches now. It's not as bad as you think. Remove the offending patch, and then hand-stitch a new one into place. Just make sure that you've secured the stitching as it leads off from the patch, so nearby patches don't unravel.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer View Post
LOL, Dunster! Just what I was thinking, but you said it better! I'm a little too obsessive-compulsive to just patch over it, and have had experience with removing and replacing patches now. It's not as bad as you think. Remove the offending patch, and then hand-stitch a new one into place. Just make sure that you've secured the stitching as it leads off from the patch, so nearby patches don't unravel.
I agree with Dunster and MacThayer.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM

This happened to me once, and I was on a tight schedule that didn't allow for pulling the piece out. I ended up fusing the piece from the back to stabalize it, and then appliqueing a piece that had a "made with love by:" on it. Worked really well! So sorry this happened to your quilt!
Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Glad you got it fixed. It's almost a heart stopper to notice such a problem like that, but at least you didn't have it quilted before you found it.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:09 PM

I agree you are agonizing more than the time it takes to fix this and it will all be fine, don't despair.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Hi DC,

No, it's a "manly" patchwork quilt. There is no other applique work in the quilt.
~ Cindy
If it is intended for someone in particular, could you possibly do an applique with that person's initals on it? Perhaps you could do an applique with a birthdate on another square, or something such as this.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I would put a patch of the same material UNDER it. Put some fabric adhesive on the back of a small piece of the same material, poke it through the hole and iron it into place once you have arranged it suitably. It will not be noticed once you have cleverly quilted over the top of it. Experience tells me this - don't tell anyone and I am sure it will be OK. All the best with it.
Can you help me understand better what you are suggesting? Sorry my slow brain isn't processing.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 AM

I have had to correct this kind of problem too. I did as the others suggest. Just put another piece on top and stitched it down. If it small it probably won't be as noticed....hopefully.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:43 AM

Applique something out of the ordinary over the spot. Here is your opportunity to "create."