Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Geisha Panel Quilt >

Geisha Panel Quilt

Geisha Panel Quilt

Old 02-14-2010, 06:53 AM

I would think I would have to make tracings of each "piece" so I could cut them out of the colored fabrics that I would choose. But the question is how to make it look like a kamono when I'm done.

I mean do I just cut all the pieces out of the same fabric? Would that show the folds of the fabric like it should in a real kamono?

And may I ask where you found your panels they are gorgeous.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 AM

I think I would use various shades of a color family and lots of accent color. If you are asking me where I got the panels, the girl was from a quilt shop, the other I found on line.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 AM

I found my panel at fabric.com
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 AM

When I first got mine I was instructed to ues a light box and trace each part and applique individualy. Of course, I didn't have the patience for this. I got Shiva Paintstiks and this is the result:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7023.jpe  
Old 02-14-2010, 07:41 AM

That is too perfect! BEAUTIFUL! Each section looks just like fabric......HOW did you do that???????? :-D
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 AM

I use the Shiva Paint stiks, peel off the dry cover and rub on the shinny side of freezer paper. I then use a brush to paint each section. Sometimes I have to blend colors to get the one I want. It takes time but is worth it. If I go over the black lives I fix it with a black sharpie. That only happened on two spots. When is dry heat set with an iron, layer and quilt. All the details of the kimono are done with microquilting.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 AM

I have worked on this and I took design and traced on paper the various areas and picked material and cut approx 1/4 in. around and did just as an applicate. and glued or use back of materials with fusible web press down and then put a net over and did dimensional stitching and free motion. I then added tassel, beads, buttons, etc. I've seen people that did felting on hair etc. Go Wild be creative as possible and enjoy. I had cut around geisha and put on an oreintal large print as background and did her up royaly. not finished yet its a UFO.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I use the Shiva Paint stiks, peel off the dry cover and rub on the shinny side of freezer paper. I then use a brush to paint each section. Sometimes I have to blend colors to get the one I want. It takes time but is worth it. If I go over the black lives I fix it with a black sharpie. That only happened on two spots. When is dry heat set with an iron, layer and quilt. All the details of the kimono are done with microquilting.
You must be a "professional" as this is just perfect. I can't imagine the talent necessary to accomplish such a marvelous piece. You are truly "an artist"!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:12 AM

I have some of those panels in my stash. I want to applique them, but haven't started even looking for fabrics! I want to practice applique, and I thought this would be great practice.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 AM

Maride.....I hope you don't mind (and I guess too late to do anything about if you do....LOL) but I just sent a picture of your quilt to a friend that has your kind of talent. I gave her this panel a couple years ago and I think it has not been tackled yet......I am so impressed with what you did here......can you tell????? :lol: