Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Geisha Panel Quilt

Blog Entries
    Has anyone done one of these. I'm completely confused about how to go about making one. I've found the panels on line but I'd still need directions. Is there a lesson on them somewhere? I'm really bad at googling.

Tlrnhi and I bought panels about year ago- I keep waiting for her to make her quilt so I can copy it. :) Let me know what you find, I still have the panel tucked away.

Blog Entries
    I'll keep you posted.

Hi,

Here's a link to a page of patterns which use panels. Hope this will give you some great ideas! :)

http://www.shiboridragon.com/Patterns-Panels.htm

Nice examples on that sight.

Blog Entries
    The geisha panel I'm talking about is only an outline. It isn't a finished panel fabric. I'm confusing myself now just trying to explain it.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2qdzthy.jpg[/IMG]
    This is the panel I'm looking at buying.

If you go to the search at the top of the page and find this thread Using Fabric Panels in Quilts on page 2 I have photos of 2 Japanese panels that I used. Would love to see what you are going to do.

Blog Entries
    Im confused. The panels you all are talking about are pictures of things that are printed on fabric in full color. The one I am showing is just an outline. How to I applique it so that it looks like a picture? Does that clarify my quandry?

Can you use the panel as a pattern to cut your fabric? Much like transfering an applique to freezer paper or a fusible web.

This probably doesn't help you at all but -- I hand quilted one of these panels for my BFF for Christmas and painted the flower: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-26768-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I would think I would have to make tracings of each "piece" so I could cut them out of the colored fabrics that I would choose. But the question is how to make it look like a kamono when I'm done.

I mean do I just cut all the pieces out of the same fabric? Would that show the folds of the fabric like it should in a real kamono?

And may I ask where you found your panels they are gorgeous.

I think I would use various shades of a color family and lots of accent color. If you are asking me where I got the panels, the girl was from a quilt shop, the other I found on line.

I found my panel at fabric.com

When I first got mine I was instructed to ues a light box and trace each part and applique individualy. Of course, I didn't have the patience for this. I got Shiva Paintstiks and this is the result:
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is too perfect! BEAUTIFUL! Each section looks just like fabric......HOW did you do that???????? :-D

I use the Shiva Paint stiks, peel off the dry cover and rub on the shinny side of freezer paper. I then use a brush to paint each section. Sometimes I have to blend colors to get the one I want. It takes time but is worth it. If I go over the black lives I fix it with a black sharpie. That only happened on two spots. When is dry heat set with an iron, layer and quilt. All the details of the kimono are done with microquilting.

I have worked on this and I took design and traced on paper the various areas and picked material and cut approx 1/4 in. around and did just as an applicate. and glued or use back of materials with fusible web press down and then put a net over and did dimensional stitching and free motion. I then added tassel, beads, buttons, etc. I've seen people that did felting on hair etc. Go Wild be creative as possible and enjoy. I had cut around geisha and put on an oreintal large print as background and did her up royaly. not finished yet its a UFO.

Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    I use the Shiva Paint stiks, peel off the dry cover and rub on the shinny side of freezer paper. I then use a brush to paint each section. Sometimes I have to blend colors to get the one I want. It takes time but is worth it. If I go over the black lives I fix it with a black sharpie. That only happened on two spots. When is dry heat set with an iron, layer and quilt. All the details of the kimono are done with microquilting.
    You must be a "professional" as this is just perfect. I can't imagine the talent necessary to accomplish such a marvelous piece. You are truly "an artist"!

I have some of those panels in my stash. I want to applique them, but haven't started even looking for fabrics! I want to practice applique, and I thought this would be great practice.

Maride.....I hope you don't mind (and I guess too late to do anything about if you do....LOL) but I just sent a picture of your quilt to a friend that has your kind of talent. I gave her this panel a couple years ago and I think it has not been tackled yet......I am so impressed with what you did here......can you tell????? :lol:

Blog Entries
    You give me hope. Now I just have to talk my friend into going material shopping with me. I wouldn't know a family group of colors if they walked up and hit me in the face. I might as well be color blind.

Oh how nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wendiq
    Maride.....I hope you don't mind (and I guess too late to do anything about if you do....LOL) but I just sent a picture of your quilt to a friend that has your kind of talent. I gave her this panel a couple years ago and I think it has not been tackled yet......I am so impressed with what you did here......can you tell????? :lol:
    I don't mind at all. This picture has been to the moon and back a couple of times. I listed on e-bay, Craigslist and Luxxee. send it as many as you wish. I am glad you like it.

Maria

Banned
    Blog Entries
    that is very well done, beautiful

I collect Oriental things, I just love them. I have purshased a geisha panel and fabric to make a queen size quilt for out bedroom. Yours is so beautiful! I wish I could make something 1/4 that good. You are a true artist. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast