Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts for coworkers? ! >

Gifts for coworkers? !

Gifts for coworkers? !

Old 09-20-2014, 05:37 PM

Key fobs or tissue cases are fast and inexpensive to make.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:40 PM

I make small gifts for the 10 girls I work with. Usually a seasonal mug rug or tea light cover. We do a grab bag at Christmas, my little gifts are spur of the moment, if I feel like it, kinds of things. I do make sure I give to everyone though.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I have been making the little panty coin purses that Debbie posted the tutorial on. Other than the cost of the zippers, ($1 at Walmart) I had everything in my sewing room. The first one took me an hour but others only half an hour.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I used to feel the same as you, till some nice people on this board straightened me out.
Just coz we're crafty, doesn't mean we own the world everything and all our spare time.
I've done it and regretted it. Make something special for one person if you really feel the need.

Thank you QB members for making me see the light. Just coz I can, doesn't mean i have to.
It used to sound mean to me, but you'll regret it down the line. I did.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:00 PM

I second the motion to NOT make or buy everyone gifts, it is just too stressful for everyone. In the spirit of the season suggest everyone participate in a charity gift to a worthy cause like picking an angel or two from the Salvation Army tree, etc. if you want everyone to socialize have a pot luck lunch and have a Dirty Santa gift exchange where everyone brings one wrapped gift, draws a number and pick out a gift from the pile or choose to 'steal' an unwrapped gift from a previous person.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:07 PM

Can you find a really simple folded over wallet kind of thingy?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:49 PM

I did that one year for the girls I work with, ten altogether. I was cutting, sewing and knitting from November to December to give dishcloths and potholders to everyone. No one really appreciated the effort and I never did it again. In fact I don't exchange any gifts at Christmas anymore. I have eliminated all stress from the holiday. My family and I go out for a nice meal and spend time together. Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 AM

I understand the drive & desire to hand-make gifts for your coworkers...you probably go through a lot of highs & lows together and they're like family. Just make sure that if you DO decide to go through with it you make something that is quick, inexpensive & easy for you to make, and be prepared for not everybody to appreciate it. Some people just don't care for handmade stuff.

When I used to make soap it was simple to make enough to give to coworkers at the holidays, but sewing is different!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I used to feel the same as you, till some nice people on this board straightened me out.
Just coz we're crafty, doesn't mean we own the world everything and all our spare time.
I've done it and regretted it. Make something special for one person if you really feel the need.

Thank you QB members for making me see the light. Just coz I can, doesn't mean i have to.
It used to sound mean to me, but you'll regret it down the line. I did.

I agree! If a co-worker loves to paint houses, are they obligated to paint co-workers houses?

sandy
Old 09-21-2014, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

I love making little gifts for co-workers. It's a way ro share what I love doing with others and to show I care for them.
Pinterest has many many ideas to pick from. Mug rugs come to mind right away. They would be cute made with a medical theme fabric. A mug rug in a cup or for those who don't drink tea/coffee put it in a glass. You could also put a little Christmas candy in them.