Gifts for coworkers? ! >

Gifts for coworkers? !

Gifts for coworkers? !

Old 09-22-2014, 03:55 AM

Twist scarves or mittens
Old 09-22-2014, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jeaniedrain View Post
if others want to exchange gifts, why not draw names? Then you can make one gift. Make it small, placemats coasters mug rugs, table runners, ect.
I agree with this. I made a dozen mug rugs having just recently moved and gave them out to my neighbors so I am not sure I will do anything but a few if my closest friends this year.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:21 AM

Fabric Book marks. I've made Several for Friends and For the Swaps I am in on Swap-bot. They are easy to do and can use Scrap fabrics...3 layers - top - fabric stiffening such as Pellon and bottom layer.. These can be sewn right sides out and then Pinked or layered WSO and sewn on 3 sides, turned and bottom sewn. then Top stitched again 1/4 inch from edges all around.. Finished Size: 2 inches X 8 inches.. Match the Fabric to the Person... I have even made several with Fabric that looks like Suede with contrasting Top Stitching. Check out Pinterest for Bookmarks.. You can even add Ribbon or Twine or Yarn or Lace Trim as the upper or bottom Tail.... That way by using your Scrap fabric it won't cost any thing but Time, Especially if you see a Co worker reading a Book -what a Thoughtful Gift , you could make them a little smaller to fit in side a Holiday or Christmas Card... I have even seen them embroidered with their name or Initials... You could enclose a Note saying that You noticed them reading a book and that you made them a Book mark to mark their Spot...

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 09-22-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:44 AM

May I share a thought from the other side of the dilemna? I steer clear of work gift giving unless it's a big plate of cookies, cake etc for all to share. One coworker felt the way you do and started making very nice necklaces for all of us. This set up (what some felt) to be an obligation to gift back. I avoided it because frankly I don't have the time, energy or interest to make/buy gifts for coworkers. They're nice to work with but my limited resources need to go elsewhere. However, others felt pressured into making/buying her a gift but also others. What started out as a sweet idea spiraled into grumbling & not so sweet comments from others who felt pressured.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Like a couple have stated. Don't start something you can't stop or feel obligated to do in the future. If anyone says anything about exchanging gifts how about words of encouragement instead. Costs nothing and lasts longer. if you feel you need to make something plain mug rugs out of holiday fabric. Add a single wrapped cookie/treat and tie in a bow.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:23 AM

Recently saw a key ring with a small quilt block attached. Going to try them myself. Small table toppers.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by jeaniedrain View Post
if others want to exchange gifts, why not draw names? Then you can make one gift. Make it small, placemats coasters mug rugs, table runners, ect.

I agree. With that many, it would be hard and time consuming no matter how simple a project you choose. Drawing names is a good idea. Plus for people who don't craft or have time or money enough to do 16 gifts would be hard. Drawing names is best.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 AM

Just because they like your work, you do not have to make something for them. If you start they will expect it and anytime some one new starts they will expect something. Just thank them nicely, it you have gift exchanges you could do a simple project for that and not be expected to give to everyone plus. Good Luck.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 AM

I've made mug rugs, purse tissue holders and fabric boxes as gifts.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:09 AM

No everyone appreciates homemade gifts. I would throw in purchased gifts every now and again. I always tell people I give my quilts away when they talk to me and tell me where they want to go. I recently gave one away I had made a year ago to a friend's mom who was diagnosed with cancer. I thought I would never get rid of it but, it was the right thing to do.