Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Give away your UFO's ! >

Give away your UFO's !

Give away your UFO's !

Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

I think this is a great idea. There are times I just want to make a pattern but with no idea what to do with it when finished or almost finished with the top. Usually just ends up in back of closet.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Google Goddess

why don't you start this as a group activity on the board, you would need to send Admin a note to explain how it would work etc.

good idea!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM

LADIES...we have just started a new guild in my neck of the woods...young mothers that are interested in learning to sew/quilt. Three experienced quilters and 30 beginners...we would love any UFO and would be willing to pay postage and then donate to charity. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM

I think it is a great idea.
If we had a UFO to pass along that we know we will never finish then it might be someone elses treasure!
I would rather see someone have fun with something, than it sit in my bin.
I would then, consider it a challenge if I got someones UFO, to finish it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Here's what I think. Pull out the projects you have in bins, partially done, kits that you have never started. Then look at them with honesty and say "Will I finish this by ______________ ? (In my case I would put one year but that's an individual thing) If the answer is yes, then have a great time. If the answer is no, then look at the project and ask yourself if the project and somebodyelse would be better served if you passed it along.

There are many many women on this Board, at community centers and at churches that do charity quilts.

To me, an unfinished project that is sitting in a bin for years is sad.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:47 PM

I don't have any and never will ... I eventually finish everything I start. However, I do think it's a good "supply & demand" plan, an opportunity for others to complete your unwanted UFO(s), thereby putting them to better use than just taking up space.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM

A guild I belonged to years ago had a "free" table where people would place their give aways--scraps or a block or two they didn't want. Then whoever wanted could pick through the pile and take whatever they wanted. That was the SF Quilter's guild and they sure were a fun group.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

I have only one that I would be willing to give away, and even that may someday be done.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:22 PM

I give my UFO projects to a member of my guild who cannot afford to go out and purchase fabrics. I give her fabric as well. We have a free table at our guild but I find many just take and we never know what becomes of it. But the quilter who gets my stuff is always very appreciative and brings her finished work in to show me. Sometimes what I had planned is not what she turns it in to but she always makes good use of my UFO.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Gal

I am with you Pollyv9, I have not been quilting long enough to have many UFO's only two WIP! And I hope to finish these this year, I like to finish one project before I begin another one but it is a great idea as so many projects get started and not completed for one reason or another, I just need to look no further than my own Mothers knitting basket!!

Gal