Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Give away your UFO's ! >

Give away your UFO's !

Give away your UFO's !

Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Last year I donated all my unfinished quilt tops to a charity. The ladies there finished them and gave them away. They posted some pictures of people who had received quilts they had finished and it was really nice to see someone enjoying what I had pieced together but but never quilted that had been sitting in my closet for years. I'm sure glad I did that. I guess if the truth were known, I should be called a "piecer" not a "quilter" as I really love the piecing, but everything comes to a screeching halt when I need to do the quilting. I am getting somewhat better about it though.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 AM

I started a Pay it forward thread in the Swaps section. I think this feeds right into it and if you want to you should check it out. If you arent going to complete a project or for some reason decided it's not for you, seems like it's a waste to let it sit there unloved. If like the one poster you are going to finish it, then that's a different story. But I bet there are ten times more of the first kind then the second sitting around in America's closets!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 AM

I think this is a great idea. Not sure what I have UFO'd yet, since I haven't been quilting long but a great thing to do!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM

I'm sorry but I don't have UFO's only WIPs. They may be WIPs for months or maybe even years, but I just can't seem to part with them. I guess I'm selfish.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

i am all for this! i have a couple queen size (well would be queens' if i ever decided to finish them) in various stages of completion...blocks done...or mostly done but nothing put together that i know i will never finish...they just take up space because i don't want to just toss them. they are in various stages for various reasons..one an underground railroad, was a saturday sampler program at the lqs, i finished one done in 30's fabrics, the one in the 1800's repos...i started to put together, did not have enough fabric for what i was doing...tossed it aside, every once in a while i get it out and think i should put this together, or i should just make a couple table runners out of the blocks,,,then i put it back away...it's been in this state for 7 years now. another one (well actually 3 or 4) are BOM's that i lost interest in along the way and just never finished...some embroidered blocks (not all finished)anyway...i'm trying to think of a good way for us to handle this...should we post pic's of the project, showing the state it is in? and ask if anyone is interested? should we try to connect individually? (oh, btw...a finished quilt top just not quilted isn't what i consider a ufo for this...that is finished, just not quilted yet...a wip.) the ufo's i'm thinking of are incomplete quilt tops that we figure we will never put together.
a couple of the bom's i have i have $300+ into ... such a waste :( sometimes i think i should just cut them up & use the fabrics for something else...but i never do that either.
anyway...lets come up with some sort of (swap/exchange) we need to brain-storm this a bit...i could use the pizza boxes for something else :)
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM

I already do this, just haven't done it on this board. They are few and far between.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

so, if you already do this how do you go about it? do you trade? do you just give them away? is there some sort of swap? just trying to get my mind around this...
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Wow, this really is quite the question. I definitely can understand sharing especially if it is something you might have lost interest in for whatever reason. But at the same time I understand where the ones that can't think of parting with something they started no matter how long ago are coming from. And I don't think they are being selfish by any means. In the last several months I have joined a Wednesday sewing group where we just bring whatever quilting project we want to sew on. In that time one of the other ladies commented that she has always wanted to do a french braid. Which reminded me that I had a french braid that I hadn't touched in years. So the following week I took my french braid to show her. Well that was all it took for me to get my interest back in it and to finish it off (even with the problem that had caused me to sit it aside to start with). I felt great when I finished piecing and quilting it. Plus it benefitted the other lady to see how the french braids are put together. So I guess I am on the fence here ladies with this one. Whichever way you feel is the right way for you.

Here is the french braid made from a fairy frost fat quarters collection. I still need to put on the binding.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87822[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87817.jpe  
Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

How would this work would you trade UFO's for UFO's or could someone that might like to finish someone elses UFO join and trade something else? I don't have any UFO's but I would be willing to trade for someone elses.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM

I would be interested in acquiring orphan UFO's, tops etc to finish for charity quilts. I would be willing to trade fabric or postage paid - just trying to find ways to contribute more items to local group at the hospital for cancer patients and kids -not enough time and we all know the cost of making a quilt start to finish. My goal is to contribute 1-2 a month. So if you have stuff that you know you would never really finish, feel free to PM me and we can try to make a deal...