Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving up "too much" for quilting? >

Giving up "too much" for quilting?

Giving up "too much" for quilting?

Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 PM
tmw

where did you find that cute fluttering butterfly. please,
Old 09-04-2010, 01:51 PM

I am along with you. Quilting gets rid of depression and keeps the long days a whole lot shorter. I live alone do not hear from my kids much so my quilting becomes my life
Originally Posted by 3flowers
I give up nothing but a tad of depression. Quilting puts me on a new 'high'. After all, I am using up some of my endless stash, I am gaining a new piece of art, and I am insulating myself from some of the other stuff that goes on around the house. I am off to new heights when I quilt. Don't bother me with mundane stuff!
Old 09-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Kesa good for you, after smoking for 47 years , 3years ago ,I put them down and haven t picked them back up. Keep up the good job.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 PM

I have gained quilting friends and lots of quilting ideas.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM

I have given up nothing to do and getting bored and I guess my money. I had to much time on my hands when I retired and decide to put my hands and mind to something useful. My kids and grandkids think its great that I'm making all this stuff for them.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Don't you dare! No more chatting until you put in some time quilting! It's the experience that makes this valuable. BTW I am reading a very silly mystery about death by rotary cutter. Be careful everyone!!
DO NOT PUT YOUR LEFT HAND AT THE END OF THE FABRIC WHEN YOU ARE ZIPPING WITH THE ROTARY CUTTER IN THE RIGHT HAND! Yes, I did. Now I can tell all the rest of you not to do it. It cut right through my fingernail. (Yes, I'm allright!)
Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Bev

I haven't consciously given up things. But since there are just so many hours in a day, I've had to quilt in some of the time I might be reading or walking for exercise, which I try to squeeze out more time for. I don't go out shopping as much as I used to. I consider that a benefit. But I now have friends that I might never have found if it hadn't been for quilting. I think it's just a question of changing one's life around a bit to make time for doing something that you really want to do. My daughter started on a very regimented exercise program and had to change a lot of small things in her life to allow for it. She's so much better off since she's done that. We all make small sacrifices for something! 8-)
Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 PM

I have given up TV so I could spend more time reading and quilting. I tend to read during the week and sew on weekends with my friends. I have cut back on buying books to buy fabric and patterns and quilting books. But I have gained so much more than I have given up.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:28 PM

Being a recent widow, my quilting has become my therapy so what I've given up is the intense loneliness.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:54 PM

I enjoy sewing and quilting, but I also like being outside and playing golf. I do have UFO's but have a hard time sitting down to do them. Also reading this board takes me away from the sewing machine. I guess I have to blame it on something.