Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Giving up "too much" for quilting? >

Giving up "too much" for quilting?

Giving up "too much" for quilting?

Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 PM

I think shopping for Fabric is exercise. At least for me because I don't walk well but will always go to a fabric store.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

I cann't really say I give up anything because I quilt when I really have the time or when I need to make a quilt for a gift although I would love to quilt all of the time.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:00 PM

I feel better even though I have gained some weight and am working on getting more exercise. I found the QB and am having so much fun that I don't even have time to miss smoking.
So sometimes the things we give up for quilting are good things to give up!!! :lol:[/quote]

I too had giving up smoking over a year ago but started up again recently and everyday I am mad at myself for going back. It is very hard to stop "cold turkey" but that was the third time I had stopped. I never seemed to lose the desire. I truly want to quit and am going on a bus with a totally non smoking group. My hope is that my will power will hold out this next week and I can say again that I have given it up once again.

I admire your stamina. Keep up the good work.

I don't have a support group, i.e. spouse, etc, live alone so no one to fuss at me.

PS: what is DD and DH?

Jan[/quote]

Keep trying, keep trying, keep trying!!! In this instance everyone loves a quitter. It wasn't easy and I used the Rx drug Chantix for the first month. I highly recommend it everyone out there that needs help. If you don't have insurance call Pfizer and they have programs to help pay for it or give it for free. That being said Please talk with your primary care physcian before and really reseach the drug, it isn't appropriate for every one.
Good Luck!!

DD=Darling Daughter Dh=Darling Husband or Darn Husband depends on the day[/quote]

I too tried the Chantix but is caused ill effects. I think WILL POWER if the best way. Just how do you keep from going back?

jan[/quote]

I'm not really sure, just pure will power I think. I just don't think about it and it really never bothers me. I have not been tempted even once to pick up a pack since the day I quit. Just take one day, one hour at a time and tell yourself I can do it and keep busy with something else and that really helps.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lance1quilts22
Kesa good for you, after smoking for 47 years , 3years ago ,I put them down and haven t picked them back up. Keep up the good job.
Thank you so much for that, I am looking forward to the 1 year anniversery and even beyond that. Congrats to you also, I guess I look at not smoking as a way of pampering and taking care of me. I raised 6 kids and never really had time for me and now the last one is in his 2nd year of college so there is time for me, and I am taking advantage of it. Also I think turning 50 made me realize that if I want to be around for my kids and grandkids I need to think about me.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:13 PM

I really haven't given up anything. I was still working when I lost my husband 17 years ago. I had a stressful job and I pretty much was putting more hours in just so I wouldn't have to go home to an empty house. I retired in '02. got myself a new sewing machine and my quilting has been a real lifesaver for me. I often get so involved in sewing I forget to eat or go to bed!! My daughter lives fairly close and has 6 childern (ages 1 - 14)and I do help her with child care a day or 2 per week, so that gives me the chance to spend time with with them and when I am sewing/quilting I am often making quilts for them. I have met so many good friends through my quilting going to classes, retreats or just fabric shopping. I often think of those who have commented that they want to just keep working because they don't what they would do if they didn't have a job. We need our hobbies. I have a sister (also a quilter) in Denver and since my husband's death she comes for at least a week (now that we are both retired) every year. We have visited all the fabric shops here in the Chicago area, attended the quilt shows, laugh, eat, stay up late, etc. I just am so blessed with my quilting that keeps me active, and can make things for others, and meet so many interesting people. I haven't met one quilter that I didn't like! The quilting keeps me keeping on--keeping on. This connection on line is a plus, also.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:25 PM

hey isnt shopping for fabric and supplies exercising walking around for 2 hours and bending streching and with my meds and pre menopause setting in i sweat enough for it to be considered exercise if it will make these clinictians happy i will count in reps as i am bending and reaching lol
Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I really haven't had to give up anything. My quilting works around my schedule not the other way around. We take the dogs out for walks 2 or 3 times a week and go about 2 miles each way.
The house stays clean since there are only two here. Laundry gets done, folded but not always put away the same day. But thats not because of quilting, its cause I am too lazy.....LOL
And meals get cooked, I cook at home alot to control our fat intake.
and it is cheaper to cook at home which means more money for sewing stuff and the food is better which is a win win situation
Old 09-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
I really haven't had to give up anything. My quilting works around my schedule not the other way around. We take the dogs out for walks 2 or 3 times a week and go about 2 miles each way.
The house stays clean since there are only two here. Laundry gets done, folded but not always put away the same day. But that's not because of quilting, its cause I am too lazy.....LOL
And meals get cooked, I cook at home a lot to control our fat intake.
There are only two of us here and my DH is away at work or sleeping when he is working nights. He can be a pain when he is home with his wrestling or football or cricket.
I do not have my children close, I have my sewing room done so I have to go the the lounge room to iron and back to the table to cut fabric. My house is clean, But some times a little untidy. I am in the process of re-arranging it for better access to some of my fabric stash. I enjoy going to my quilt group once a week and most of all I enjoy being on my own, so I am not missing out on anything/ I also am exercising to lose this loose skin on my stomach from losing weight in the first place.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:46 PM

I haven't given up anything...maybe reading as much as I use to. Have a TV in my quilting room, so I can watch a show or two or just listen to music. I have great quilting friends and I exercised a lot on Thurs and Friday, going from one quilt shop to the next. Taking those bolts off the shelf can be exhausting. I was quilting the ohter day, music going, looked out the window at a beautiful blue sky and said to myself "it just doesn't get any better than this". I am very thankful that I was able to be doing what I was doing and enjoying every minute of it...
Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 PM

I have given up playing solitaire games on the computer and reading quite as many books a week as I used to, but those are not losses, as I have gained a more positive and enjoyable activity and more beneficial interactions here on the board. Because of my fibro and disability, I tend to hermitize so these interactions are very good for me!!! I still read plenty, just not 4 or 5 books a week. LOL
I have also gained the benefit of keeping my creative impulses flowing somewhat, and having to use my brain to figure out blocks, follow patterns, etc. All of which can be tricky when the fibro is fogging me up. The mind exercise is important for all of us with fibromyalgia to keep up .