Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Go rag die >

Go rag die

Go rag die

Old 11-24-2013, 07:23 AM

Willferg, also remember sometimes when the cutting is off, its because of the way the grain is layed down to but, I learned that the hard way cutting cotton squares for my 3 D windmill, couldnt figure out for a while why they weren't square or the right size. When sewing the blocks together you can also use the blue tape to tape the snips down so that they wont get in the way while sewing and then it'll come right off after sewing. I don't always put an X in the middle, I sometimes do an embroidery design or make one side of the quilt with designs on it and then solids on the back with appliques, then it's two sided and kids have something to play and look at. I still say the rag die is the way to go.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
Well, an update on the rag quilt I made with the die. I am NOT blaming the die, but my quilt turned out terrible.

I think the first problem (which led to the second problem) was that I used two very different kinds of flannel. I bought the second to match the first, but they just weren't the same. As a result, as I was sewing an X through the blocks, on the solids the fabric tended to slide a bit, so they weren't real square. Totally my fault, but I thought there would be room to fudge since the seam allowance was so big.

However, as is so often the case, when you are off by a little, you can end up off by a lot. I ended up having some sections of fringe that were not caught outside the seam, and there was no way to correct it. Had I snipped the blocks by hand, it wouldn't have been a problem, although of course, it would have been a lot more work.

Next time I use the die, I will be much more careful and also choosy about my fabric. I have to say, though, I am not totally enamoured with this die and am not in a hurry to do another rag block soon!
I think that with the layers, that you should have used the walking foot. This would have put them through together.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:42 AM

would someone post an image of what you are talking about? Never done a rag quilt nor do I have any of the machine cutters, but I am interested.
Sounds like a two prong problem, reading all the posts. The die fills up with thread hairs and if the cuts or fabric are off, something? needs clipped by hand?

thanks
Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
would someone post an image of what you are talking about? Never done a rag quilt nor do I have any of the machine cutters, but I am interested.
Sounds like a two prong problem, reading all the posts. The die fills up with thread hairs and if the cuts or fabric are off, something? needs clipped by hand?

thanks
Most people do them by hand; which involves cutting lots of square blocks all the same size and either batting or and additional layer for the center but this one is an inch or two smaller than the fabric blocks. You layer the three (some only use two) fabrics/batting and the sew an X in the middle to hold them all together. I also like to embroidery a design instead of usning the X in the middle. When the blocks are sewed together its with the seams facing out, they aren't inside of the quilt. Then either by rather regular scissors or special scissors all of the out facing seams (which are about an inch long) but they are all cut with slits close together. When the quilts are washed the fabric (normally flannel is used) it frays and curls. Some people use demin and you can use fleece but it doesn't fray. If you search here on this site you can see what they look like. It's hard to explain without having a picture. I would never make one if I had to go and snip all of these blocks. I've done several of them using the raq die and never had a problem with them cutting wrong, you just make sure the fabric covers the cutting line on the die. I will buy flannel when its on sale and then make up a bunch of the blocks and keep them in a tote and then when I need a quick present, I can chose the blocks appropriate for that person, rather baby or adult and sew them together and have a quick present that is homemade. The dies filling up isn't that big of a deal and like others have posted, you don't have to clean after each run thru the cutter and you can cut up to 3 layers of fabric at a time so it saves time cutting and snipping. I'm not sure if Accucut has a video on doing it on thier site or not. if not I'm sure there is one on youtube.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:39 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

thanks
this the type of rag quilt she is referring to.. I cut 3 layers at at time : back/center/front.. but i always use a piece of paper on die first.. yes the threads get stuck from time to time but since its mine i dont bother removing them unless it messes with my cuts and with using the paper its takes a while to build up.. i love this die and i do not have the patience to sit and snip.. so this works great for me.. I used the Go Bear die for the applique..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]448634[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2892.jpg  
Old 11-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

I won't make a rag quilt now without the die. I just let the die fill up with threads and they come out on their own. Doesn't hurt the cutting at all. If you don't have the die then the Heritage rag quilt scissors are a must have. Your hand will thank you. Ive tried all the rag scissors, the Heritage is the best and the better quality,