Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good Use of Price Stickers >

Good Use of Price Stickers

Good Use of Price Stickers

Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by laynak View Post
What about needles for handsewing? How do you determine when they're dull and need replacing? Does anyone have good ideas to track them when they sit in pincushions and 'look the same'?
I've done binding on quilts with needles way past their time but suffer through it.
To tell whether or not it's dull, I just run my fingertip across it. As for which one to use - if it works well and feels right, I just use it and don't worry about whether or not it's the "correct" needle.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM

Love the plastic divided case and the buttons....great ideas. Thank you all.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:03 AM

If you have a vintage machine, do not put the stickers on the machine. It will damage the paint. If you have a plastic faced machine, go ahead!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
I don't think I have ever heard the "thunk". I change needles when I have to change presser feet. I mean I'm sewing along with my quilters foot, and decide, "Oh, this would be a good place for a zig-zag." I push the button for zig-zag, and it's more like a "Bang". There went another needle! LOL I'm getting better though. I have been breaking fewer needles than when I got my new machine about 3 years ago.
Yep. That's how it goes for me too (but I'm not getting better)
Old 09-23-2012, 11:19 AM

I tend to dilly-dally when I'm sewing, so keeping track of hours would be senseless for me. They do sound different when they're getting dull. That's when I chuck them. I got some of the Superior Threads titanium coated topstitch 80/12 and 90/14 for piecing and quilting and they're lasting a really long time. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:22 AM

I think my new Pfaff has an odometer on it, at least time sewing. I should mark down what it says when I but in a needle.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

The needle manufacturers say you're supposed to change it every 8 hours. But that's actual sewing time. I know I don't change mine quite that often but I do change it pretty regular. Since I have several types and sizes of needles I bought a plastic organizer thing that's just the right size to hold the needle packages. I think it's supposed to be for beads. Anyway, I put a button in the space that I take the needle out of. If I use a needle but it's still good I put it back in loose and that way I know it's still good but not brand new. The different color buttons in the box are for different machines.

My goodness. You sure are organized. Wish I could say the same for myself.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rush88888 View Post
my 8 HOURS of sewing might be equal to someone else's 12 HOURS of sewing. it makes more sense to consider length of stiching instead of hours. i also change it when the popping and pinging start (if i am listening for it, which i am not!).
I must admit that sometimes I go a longer time between changes, but my machine just seems to sing (and chirp happily) if I have a sharp needle in the machine AND if I do the cleaning regularly. I also meant to add 12 hours of steady stitching. (no, I don't set a timer or anything. LOL) Good discussion, ladies.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
The needle manufacturers say you're supposed to change it every 8 hours. But that's actual sewing time. I know I don't change mine quite that often but I do change it pretty regular. Since I have several types and sizes of needles I bought a plastic organizer thing that's just the right size to hold the needle packages. I think it's supposed to be for beads. Anyway, I put a button in the space that I take the needle out of. If I use a needle but it's still good I put it back in loose and that way I know it's still good but not brand new. The different color buttons in the box are for different machines.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]364617[/ATTACH]
Great tip. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM

I forgot to add, I use those price stickers for keeping track of block parts and sizes. Once I do my test block and start cutting pieces I put them in zipper baggies. Instead of writing on the baggie which can smear I use the price stickers. Plus when I start the next quilt I can just put a new sticker over the old one and keep using the same baggies. It really helps when some of the pieces are really close in size and hard to tell apart unless you measure every time.