Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Goodbye basting spray, hello... >

Goodbye basting spray, hello...

Goodbye basting spray, hello...

Old 10-24-2022, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I have diluted the glue but don't remember why I don't do that anymore. It's been a long time. If you want a good spray try the recipe in the link above. It works fine.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:51 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I've finally reached the point that I'm down to a couple of small cans of the stash of the basting spray that I had. Definitely not enough for the quilt I am working on now. So, I I thought I'd go online and order another few cases as I usually do. Well, I think not. It took my breath away to see the price they were since the last time I purchased them, close to double a can, and I thought it was expensive even back then.

So, after doing some searches online for other brands, and finding them expensive as well, I think I may be going old school - back to pinning my quilt sandwiches together.

But, I had one spit thought and since I use a glue stick (Elmer's School Glue) for applique, I'm wondering if I could just use it as sparingly to hold the sandwich together, like where I would normally put pins. Is this a good idea or not? Hopefully this type won't leave marks/stains on the fabric. (it doesn't for the applique) but my applique usually isn't light colored fabric. I do DMQ with quilting rulers, so I would have to remove the pins before quilting each section. Using the stick glue would be easier if it would work to keep my sandwich together.
I could use some advice and ideas from the collective minds on a good direction to go.
I use Elmer's washable school glue to do all my basting!! I buy it by the gallon!! Use a small Elmer's squeeze bottle to mix from the gallon the glue and a small amount of water to make it easier to apply in a grid pattern. I layer batting, backing, stabilized with painters tape on the edges. Fold back backing in half, apply glue in grid pattern, use foam bush to smooth down the bumps, fold backing back in place and gently heat set. Repeat for other side. Flip over and repeat for the top. I lay them over the back of my futon in my office to dry fully. Sometimes they have set for months!! Quilt on my sweet 16 and trim and bind. Wash in machine as usual and the glue washes out completely! Would never go back to pins. I set up 2 folding 6 foot tables in the middle of my living room to accomplish this. You can use just one if that's all the room you have, or your dining room table and just baste in sections.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I use Elmer's washable school glue straight from the bottle. I use the little bottle. If the house is cool I sit it in a glass of warm water. I drizzle it on in a thin grid. I use it instead of pin basting not instead of spray basting. Meaning it doesn't have to cover the entire surface. I'm over 30 quilts in as big as queen size. I use my dining room table. No pool noodles or boards or tape. The glue is forgiving enough to reposition. It is so easy. Never a wrinkle in the batting. When it is dry it does not gum up the needle. It washes out every time. I haven't found a need to thin, spread, paint etc. but then again I don't have carpal tunnel/
wrist/shoulder/neck or back issues. I am able to standup and move around. So easy.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I wonder if you could delute Elmer's Glue and put it into a spray bottle and use that. I use Elmer's GLue when I go to attach my binding to the borders before I stitch them down and that's without deluting. It washes out either way and might give you just enough holding power.
The homemade spray base is diluted with rubbing alcohol or — who am I kidding - cheap vodka. Either dries faster than water. I had no concerns about adding alcohols to flour and water but before adding alcohol to Elmers School Glue, I would test a bit.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:38 AM

I tried the Elmer's School Glue sticks. It was so quick and works great. So much cheaper than the spray basting, for sure!

I'm going to stay with using the Elmer's School Glue Sticks instead of using the 'liquid' Elmer's School Glue. The liquid just sounds messier and wetter to me and since the sticks work I'll be keeping them on my shelf.

The only mess from the Glue stick was two of my fingers got sticky, putting the lid back on when I missed the first time. I brushed the end of the glue stick on my knuckles when I looked away when I was capping it, instead of paying attention!

That's me, can't chew gum and walk at the same time, as the saying goes!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 10-25-2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Basting with large safety pins works best for me,
Old 10-29-2022, 12:03 PM

I cannot pin baste any longer thanks to arthritis in the thumb joints...will give the Elmer's glue baste a try! It should be quicker than my usual method (Sharon Schamber's board basting technique, which is very clever and allows you to sit comfortably while basting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMP4iSeYAy4&t=12s )
Old 10-29-2022, 05:15 PM

I did take a class from Sharon Schamber and the board basting method is good! I like too that she basted the quilt sandwich with thread and needle. It was easy to remove as you quilted the piece and held the layers together really well.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:15 PM

This weekend I spray-basted a twin size quilt and gosh what a mess, the overspray on my table wasn't too bad but the fumes. Ugh. For next quilt I intend to try the Rockler carpenter's glue bottle method described by BonnieJP above. By the way BonnieJP your collies want to meet my collies =)