Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got A Question? >

Got A Question?

Got A Question?

Old 08-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Stopped at a dealer/quilt shop to look at and price the big new Brother. Great machine but they wanted $15,000 way over my price range, even if it did everything but built a new house.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Thank You All for your help & comments... I think I have more looking & thinking to do before purchasing You all have been very informative .
Old 08-09-2015, 07:02 AM

I have a Brother 1250D sewing/embroidery machine combo, it does 4x4 and 5x7 design. Designs can be downloaded from internet onto a USB stick and then transferred to the machine. I paid $1200. for it and have never had any problems. I have had two 6 needle Brother embroidery machines, currently I have a Brother 10 needle. I also have a Brother QC100. Al of them have been work horses and I've never had any problems, they were all purchased from a dealer. I did buy a small Wal-Mart Brother to take to sew-a-thons and I've not had any problems with it either. I have the 1250D as my RV machine, so many bumpy roads, climate changes, sewing outside, etc., so if any machine would give me trouble it would probably be this one. But it's been a great machine, no problems at all. My advice is to go to a dealer, test drive them, look for a used one. Many dealers take machines in for trade and then sell them for a good price. Maintenance is important also, keep up with the service and you will probably not have any problems with whatever you buy.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 AM

I have a Brother PE770 and it's great for what I want to do. It comes with a 5x7 hoop but I can use a 5x12 hoop too. You just can't do larger than a 5x7 design. I use the 5x12 hoop for quilting when I need to embroider a larger space. I justs move the hoop up a notch and it's still lined up with the previous design. I wouldn't start out with the 4x4 hoop. Many designs are larger. I waited until I could afford one with the larger hoop.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:33 PM

I would look around to see what dealer you have in the area and than check them out to see if they do repairs on the machines or have to send them out. A bad dealer can be a very big problem when it comes time to fix your machine. you can have more problems with the dealer than you can with your machine. Viking is coming out with a new embroidery machine in oct. so they last model well be on sale that might help you out. I don't care what make of a machine you get they all can have problems.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:22 PM

My sister thought she wanted a combination sewing/embroidery machine, but it is so cumbersome to change it back and forth, she just leaves it set up for embroidery and uses a regular machine for sewing. She regrets putting all her money into that one that she only gets half use out of.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Why not check out some good used machines at a reputable dealer. There are some at very reasonable prices and "low mileage".