Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Got A Question? >

Got A Question?

Got A Question?

Old 08-07-2015, 11:17 AM

Default Got A Question?

I have decided to get another sewing machine... I have been looking at Brother machines. I would like your reviews.......
I want an embriodery - sewing Machine.I am looking at a couple of models but would like your views of those who have them or have heard about the good ones and those to stay away from...Thank you.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

If you are looking at the inexpensive Brother, it has a small hoop and you can't upgrade the size from what I understand.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:51 PM

I have never had good luck with a brother machine....but...none has been an embroidery model....whatever machine you buy, purchase from a reputable dealer who will be able to help you with any issues, teach you how to use your machine, and fix any machine problems....when you purchase from an online store or from a bigbox store, you get NO dealer support.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

.when you purchase from an online store or from a bigbox store, you get NO dealer support.
That's true but, you can return the machine there and get an extended warranty dirt cheap and you can't at a dealers. They will faint if you even ask about a return policy. I want an embroidery machine too but will certainly not start out with a top of the line one. I'll start with a small set up ,probably the 4 or 5 inch hoop Brother at Amazon or even Walmart, and learn the ins and outs before investing thousands for the big boy.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:40 PM

From what I've heard, the low-end Brothers are made to different specs than the high-end ones. I definitely wouldn't start with the cheapest machine because it might not be very well made and might give you endless trouble. Even a good machine can be trouble if you don't know how to use it, so I second Buckeye Rose's answer - find a good dealer! Better yet, try every machine you can, several times if possible, to see if you like it and if you like the people at the shop.

PS - I don't have an embroidery machine myself, would be very interested to find out what you buy and how you like it!

Last edited by MFord; 08-07-2015 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add ps
Old 08-07-2015, 03:16 PM

I love my dreamweaver VM6200d but don't know your price range the 1400E is getting good reviews so the 3500QE should be even better. They are very reasonably priced and have a 6x10field. the low end embroidery models only do a 4x4 so keep that in mind and the dealer version is about a 400 dollar difference for a few added stitches. I have never had any issues with any of my 4 brothers or my brothere made babylock sop they are solid machines
Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

It is better to start with your price range and the features you want (such as embroidery), then ask about the best machines in your price range. Is there some reason why you are starting with Brother?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:04 PM

I am sorry to say I would not buy a brother again. I know some people have them, have no trouble at all with them, and love them. I might to except I bought one for my daughter several years ago. Long story short- after exchanging the machine 3 times. finally just got my money back Three yeas ago other daughter, lives out of sate went through the same thing only this time it took her going through 4 returned and replaced machines before she learned her lesson. These machines did come from big box stores. Another reason I only buy from dealers.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 AM

I would only buy an expense machine from a dealer. All machines have problem ones expense as well as cheap. My friend is using a Brothers machine bought at WalMart cheap 10 years ago. Still running good.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:45 AM

My cheap Brother embroidery only does a 4 in design. That is the only drawback. It is a great machine and have done lots of six inch blocks with teddy bears and mother goose designs. Also did a bunch of circular designs and leaf designs.
Would love to have a large embroidery area to quilt blocks in a layered quilt instead of sending out to a longarmer.