Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Graph  paper - >

Graph paper -

Graph paper -

Old 07-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
I buy it by the roll. 42" wide by 20 Yds. The type comes in various widths in roll and sheets in sizes larger than letter size. I also get the gridded desk pads which are about 18"x24". I sometime use easel chart pads gridded in 1/2" and inch if I don't want precision.
Look under: drafting vellum

It is more eraser friendly than regular paper.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:03 PM

I use it all the time! It may be old fashioned but it works great and you get to think some while you are doing it (I always do it in pencil - my thoughts sometimes change mid process!)
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 PM

I use it all the time. I don't buy patterns but see quilts I like and work the sizes and measurements out on graph paper. Of course, they aren't usually terribly complicated.

Just read some other replies. I assumed Bear meant graph paper on a pad....little squares. If she means something else, then no, I don't use it.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM

I have EQ7, but still use graph paper and colored paper to design quilts. There are some quilts that I can't find out how to make with EQ7 so I draw out the blocks, but use the graph paper to design the quilts.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:15 PM

I use it. It gives me the correct measurements when I draw something out.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i don't have a printer, so i use graph paper and carbon paper
Carbon paper? Haven't heard of that for a looooong time. But I have some from my teaching days. Just haven't thrown it out yet. Every once in a while, that's just what I want.

And I don't think EQ7 could do what I do with graph paper. For the Square Family Reunion I made small paper squares for the four different sizes. Played around with them a while, then drew them onto graph paper. I didn't want any seams to go all the way across the quilt in any direction. After I had about 2/3 of the quilt sewn together using the graph paper as a guide, I could finish it on my own. It was great fun.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 AM

nope..........
Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 AM

I bought a new pack the other day!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
I use it all the time. I don't buy patterns but see quilts I like and work the sizes and measurements out on graph paper. Of course, they aren't usually terribly complicated.

Just read some other replies. I assumed Bear meant graph paper on a pad....little squares. If she means something else, then no, I don't use it.
I started this thread with only the thought of 1/4 or 1/8 inch gridded paper on "regular sized" (which I think varies from country to country) paper.

As this thread has progressed, I think I would like it to mean anything printed with a regular pattern (triangles, squares, hexagons, etc.) that we still use to design with that requires a pencil (or pen).

There are some great "graph papers" available from several sites.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bearpawquilter View Post
I use it for planning and designing. I found a composition book (you know the ones with the black and white cover) with graph paper inside instead of lined at Walmart. Only one there and have never seen another one since. I made a fabric cover for it and I use it for sketches, planning, designing, keeping track of measurements, etc. When I use it up, I don't know what I will use. Only drawback is that it is not perforated, so if you tear out a sheet, another one on the opposite side will fall out.
This is what I use....has graph paper on the top half of the page, college ruled lines on the bottom half. All my projects and sketches are in it. Dont dispair Bearpawquilter...it is at amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Mead-Composit...BRV9RHFNHTDJGP