Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Graph  paper - >

Graph paper -

Graph paper -

Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 AM

I am lost without a few tablets of graph paper. I recently bought an older motor home that I moved into and now I am graphing a new lay out for my tiny space so that I can have a sewing area and some of my fabric. And be able to secure it all if I decide to do some traveling next summer.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
I believe these are actually called "lab notebooks". College bookstores have them, also the larger stationary companies. If you google "lab notebook" you should be able to find more of these. I just bought one yesterday at Goodwill (cost me 10 cents) that had a $9 price tag on it. Only draw back is the grid is 5x5 and I prefer 4x4 (each box is equal to 1/4 inch).
lots of lab notebooks on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Vela-B3-B-Com...+notebook+grid
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM

I have 2 tablets of graph paper of different sizes to use or large or small projects that I design. It helps me to know how much fabric I will need to buy to make the item. Couldn't live without it. I quilt to get away from the computer so I like to keep it simple.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:59 AM

I love to paperpiece and have lots of graph paper in diff sizes to graph things out, old school style!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I used it all the time. Start with graph paper, go to Adobe Illustrator, then finally EQ7. I can lay the quilt out in EQ, but can't design a block there!
Walmart carries Graph Composition notebooks, arriving around now. They are the same size as the composition notebooks. Usually they will mark them down at the end of the back-to-school season. Last year my store had them down to $0.75. I bought 2 dozen... They made great gifts for friends.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Norcom-100...-Book/37709181

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 07-23-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Angellight View Post
I would love to copy Moonworks reply, but the 3 ring binder in my "Mom-cave" would make me a liar. As would the diagrams of patterns that are on my desk or in that book.
Bearpaw, you might check for another of your composition books now. I think I saw them in school supplies this past week.
Happy sketching,

Susan
OH, yea!! I've been retired almost 20 years and I still can't resist the school supplies aisles. Is that crazy?? I usually end up buying a few tablets, especially the black and white marble composition books, and crayons (wink: for my grandkids). I certainly will be on the lookout for one filled with graph paper. When I need more graph paper, I usually google the printable graph papers, either the 1/4-in. or the 1/2-in.

Last edited by GailG; 07-23-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Here's to graph paper! I have EQ7 but don't use it much because there seem to be too many constraints. I've used it to make a paper-piecing pattern from, but when I have a custom thing - like how to size or finish the corners on a pieced row in a medallion quilt, or plan out a pieced backing - I go to graph paper, or just a ruler and plain paper to do the calculations.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Bearpawquilter View Post
I use it for planning and designing. I found a composition book (you know the ones with the black and white cover) with graph paper inside instead of lined at Walmart. Only one there and have never seen another one since. I made a fabric cover for it and I use it for sketches, planning, designing, keeping track of measurements, etc. When I use it up, I don't know what I will use. Only drawback is that it is not perforated, so if you tear out a sheet, another one on the opposite side will fall out.
Walmart has them out now. 97 cents a book. I bought a case of them to use for quilter gifts during the year and door prize donations to my guild. Also the tear out graph paper in a composition book for $1.97.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-24-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:37 AM

Mead, Cambridge business notebooks makes my favorite small note book. 9.5 x 5.3/8w and has yellow paper, normal ruler paper on the front and quad paper on the back in a spiral notebook. I purchased a dozen direct from Mead. I used to find them at Office Max. They are great for tracking projects and planning. I have filled about 4 of them and look back all the time at ideas and projects. I even made a batik cover for it and it sticks easily in my purse.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Am I the only person in the quilting world that still uses it?
I use it regularly! My favorite use is resizing blocks, so I have 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 squares to the inch, as well as centimeter square and a couple of triangle and diamond grids. It is also great for copying a block I see in a magazine (or at a show) and might want to try later but don't need the whole magazine.