Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US >

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM

I have no idea about the hight of the average American income, so I can't compare it. But fabrics are expensive in our opinion too.

But not just fabric, we pay $2,30 - 2,40 for 1 liter of gas for the car. How sad is that ?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by merry
Originally Posted by aurora41
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!
AMEN!
Amen & Amen!!! We do live in a God Blessed country.

Everyone in Europe and Canada, please remember that there are several of your sisters/brothers here on this Board living in the US who are happy to help out shipping fabric to you. Even with shipping charges it is TONS cheaper than what you are paying in your home country.
Ohh, I will remember that , thanks .LOL. Border security (or something like that) is checking boxes from shops more often than they did before and ad the bill for tax and VAT.
Extra problem is that some stores don't write the 'sales' price on the box, but the 'official' price before the sales started. So that means extra tax. But even than it's still cheaper than buying it here.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
How do those of you who live outside the US afford to quilt? Is your wages in line with fabric costs? Ours are for the most part except those of us who are on limited income of SS. The gov. hasn't seen fit to give us a raise for a couple years. They say there is no raise in the cost of living.LOL I don't know what rock they are living under.
Isn't SS suppose to be a supplement retirement income not the only income? I don't know the circumstances of course but I do know it must be very difficult to live on SS fixed income. :?
Old 03-18-2011, 12:18 PM

I too am jealous of US prices for fabric as here in New Zealand we also pay $20 - $30 per meter. It is one reason I don't join the exchange blocks and groups etc that look like fun. The expense would be huge. But when one has an addiction one finds a way!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25
Most fabrics in Australia start from $20 per metre up to $26 per metre. Getting a nice fabric for backing without paying that much money is almost impossible. You have to buy up when there is a sale and it goes down to around $10 per metre.
This is why I used sheets and curtains from the used clothing stores for backings. It is soo much cheaper than fabric, there is just no comparison.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
How do those of you who live outside the US afford to quilt? Is your wages in line with fabric costs? Ours are for the most part except those of us who are on limited income of SS. The gov. hasn't seen fit to give us a raise for a couple years. They say there is no raise in the cost of living.LOL I don't know what rock they are living under.
Isn't SS suppose to be a supplement retirement income not the only income? :?
I believe that was the original intent. At least that is what I've heard.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
But don't they make a lot more money there than we do here? That would even it out a little bit.
Not necessarily. However, they are used to some benefits that the citizens of the US don't get and they live in small houses/apartments, usually. :) Things tend to be smaller in general--refrigerators, apt. (a 500 sq. ft. apt. for a family of 4 is normal) and cars are smaller as well as sizes of things you buy in the store.

So maybe people make smaller quilts! ;)

I do know that I went on a trip to Vienna in 2007 and we found a guilt shop. I was sooo excited. I decided that I didn't want to splurge too badly, so I allowed myself to spend 5 Euros. That was funny. I think I got about 7 or 8" of fabric (not even a quarter meter/yard). It was beautiful though. :)

But we don't have it at any price here. Our cottons consist of 15 solid colors and it is more coarse than soft.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
LOL, sounds like your a little shocked!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM

Here in the UK we pay around £10.99 a metre and upwards from there, that is about $16 and upwards. I have tried shopping online and getting my fabric sent over from the USA, but by the time I pay shipping charges and all the taxes for it coming into this country the fabric works out dearer in the long run. Maybe I will just emigrate to the USA and I will be able to sustain my hobby( I meant passion):)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Yep, we are truely blessed, God Bless the Great USA and our troops. I will never again complain about fabric prices. I don't know how anyone can aford fabric. I wonder what food prices are like??? The stuff you buy in the grocery store.