Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: guys in quilt shops

My DH does not quilt, but has asked me why some quilt shops welcome the DH's with greeting, cold drink, and chairs or benches to wait on and some just plain ignore you? I said I didn't have the answer but if I ever own a quilt shop, the guys will have shade trees with benches, lawn chairs, cold sodas, and during bad weather, they will have a room of their own with tv, chairs, cold sodas/coffee,and their own bathroom. He thought that was a pretty good idea.

Our local LQS is owned and operated by a man and his brother sometimes helps out. Robert is very friendly and helpful to all folks who come in.

I've got a bad knee and it's hard for me to get around, so DH does a lot of my shopping for me. He's the type that's never met a stranger. In fact, he's quite a charmer when it comes to the "little old ladies" who work at the local stores. :)

A couple of weeks ago when I was looking to buy a quilting machine and frame, DH went into a certain sewing machine store, trying to find out what brands they carry. He was totally snubbed by the "little old lady" working there. She wouldn't even talk to him. Her nose was so high up in the air that if it had rained, she would've drowned! ;) He finally picked up a brochure and left. I don't know if it was because he's male, or if she didn't like his appearance (he'd just gotten off work a couple of hours prior), or what.

I bet if she'd known he'd just been by the bank and had cash money in his pocket, he would've been treated very differently.

Oh well. It's her loss. We bought everything elsewhere (got a better deal, too). :-P

I told him he should take my new sewing machine up to the store, wave it around, and tell that snooty "little old lady":

You work on commission, right?
    Big mistake.
    Big.
    Huge!
    I have to go shopping now!

(From the scene in Pretty Woman)

:lol:

Blog Entries
    My hubby drives me everywhere, so yes, he goes into the shops with me sometimes, but really can't understand why it takes me so long "just to pick out fabric"!!!Makes me nervous and uncomfortable so I try to get him to find something to do and come back for me-having said that, the other day in Joann's (Escondido store), the manager was SOOOO nice to both of us, he chatted with her while I tried to make up my mind and made him feel really welcome. I have gone back a few times, and told her how much we appreciated her help and friendliness.

Blog Entries
    Is that the shop in Grove City?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by genghis khan
    As a male quilter i have been put off many times when entering a quilt shop, consequently i dont bother with them anymore and its there loss apparently. One owner called me begging to have me display one of my quilts at a little show they wer putting on i was more than happy to shoot her right down with no exsplanation. These days my business partners have a fabric shop where my shop is also located so between that and the internet i can find what i need. Chris
    Tell me about it, as God is my witness it will be a cold day in Hell before I visit anyones LQS around here.

When I first was getting into quilting I went to our shop here in town and they looked at me like I was lost. Then when I told them what I was sorta looking for here comes the sales pitch about buying a machine. It was bad enough they thought I was a bum with no money at first (just left the automotive paint store and went straight there) I told them that dont worry money was no object. Then their attitude change a bit to see how much they can milk out of this sucker.......

After I told them that all I wanted was material and thread they asked what kind of machine I was using. I told them it was a 1911 Singer 27 in a treadle and the lady told me "Good luck with that" And I looked her in the eyes and told her what part of my anatomy she could kiss and walked out.

Billy

Billy,
    I love it!!!!! :-)
    That really gave me a laugh!!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeb
    Billy,
    Thats really not the funny part of the story.....Fast forward a year and I was at out local Sonic for the Monthly Cruise In and I had a guy come up to me wanting me to paint his 1957 Chevy Convertible so the next day I went and looked at his car and his wife came out.........she was the woman that owned the quilt shop and was also the one who told me "Good luck with that".

So when I quoted him the price I tacked another $5K to the price just because his wife was a @%$^# and he asked how soon could I paint it for him!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She never recognized me, but she was the one that paid me cash for the job when they picked the car up at my house! It felt good nailing her for an extra 5 just because!!

Billy

I have visited some shops by myself, and I have to say I have been treated very well. It's a shame a few of these shops don't treat the guys well. Like some of you have already said, even if the guy isn't a quilter, he may be buying gifts for his wife. I happen to be the one who picks and/or matches most of our fabrics. If a shop wants our business they better be nice to me.

Billy -

That's a fantastic story. What comes around goes around, right?

Darren

When I worked in a quilt shop I loved to wait on the men. They were usually looking for a gift for a loved one and would be open to any suggestion I might make. It was always fun to put together a great gift that I would love to receive and have the significant other come back and swoon over what they had received! My all time favorite customer was a man who taught textile art at a local college. He always came in with a brainstorm and wanted help in seeing it come to life. That was exciting!

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I just goes to show that you never know who your next customer might be. Treat everyone who walks in those doors with respect and welcome them to your business. What part of that do some shop owners not get? It's Business 101! Do they think they can just open the store and things will sell themselves? I like to be greeted when I walk it and asked if I need any help looking for something. It's just being polite and good business sense.

Banned
    Well when I go on my trip this September I plan on visiting a lot of you guys and I want you all to take me to your LQS and show me what a good one is like to go into!

I plan on buying at least one yard of fabric from each stop I make and I am going to make a quilt to commemorate my ride around the country on my bike!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    Pat has no trouble going to the LQS with me and since he has a great sense of humor, he usually engages people in conversation. One time he was inspecting a quilt real close and the quilter challenged him. She kind of yelled at him. He told her that he was admiring her craftmanship and how well the points met. He even named to block. She blushed. What a charmer.

:) A male friend went into a quilt shop with me in Berkeley when I was on vacation a few months ago. The ladies absolutely doted on him. I rarely see men in any of my LQSs.

Priceless. I have been smiling all the way through this thread! I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Billy,
    Thats really not the funny part of the story.....Fast forward a year and I was at out local Sonic for the Monthly Cruise In and I had a guy come up to me wanting me to paint his 1957 Chevy Convertible so the next day I went and looked at his car and his wife came out.........she was the woman that owned the quilt shop and was also the one who told me "Good luck with that".

So when I quoted him the price I tacked another $5K to the price just because his wife was a @%$^# and he asked how soon could I paint it for him!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She never recognized me, but she was the one that paid me cash for the job when they picked the car up at my house! It felt good nailing her for an extra 5 just because!!

Billy

Billy -

You'll have to give us your route and timeline so we know when to expect you.

Darren

Banned
    This trip is an out west trip on the iron horse I have being custom built for me. I am in west TN so I wont be in you area :( but if I get a chance to head that way I will be sure to look you up!!

Billy

Blog Entries
    This trip is an out west trip on the iron horse I have being custom built for me. I am in west TN so I wont be in you area :( but if I get a chance to head that way I will be sure to look you up!!

Billy
    If out west-you mean California, I'm in San Diego-(actually, Ramona, in the SD mountains), let me know if your coming down this way!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    If out west-you mean California, I'm in San Diego-(actually, Ramona, in the SD mountains), let me know if your coming down this way!
    Out west is almost every state on the other side of the Mississippi to me. This trip is going to be over a month long journey for me to go on. I want to see all I can see and meet and stay with as many members and their families as I can. I honestly do not expect to stay in a hotel until I get to the Grand Canyon and then I will be there for 3 days.

But yes I will be in your neck of the woods!!

Billy

Billy,

Billy
    Some days just make you smile don't they??? :) :) :)

I dont shop lqs SPECIFICALY because they snub me for bringing my kids!!! even in the stroller they TOUCH the bolts!
    boy was I ever surprised when I visited one recently and in the MIDDLE of the store they had a fenced in play area!!!

I agree that they hurt their bussiness by acting snooty! to basicaly anyone who isnt female with white hair!

Well when I go on my trip this September I plan on visiting a lot of you guys and I want you all to take me to your LQS and show me what a good one is like to go into!

I plan on buying at least one yard of fabric from each stop I make and I am going to make a quilt to commemorate my ride around the country on my bike!!

Billy
    Billy, where is this trip taking you......would love to have you drop in for a glass of cheer (or cup of coffee) if you make it along the Jersey coast.......mj

I dont live to far from the door mouse they have an enormous about of fabrics The first time I went in there I was in shock I believe Never seen so much fabric in one place plus all the colors..I dont get to go fabric shopping to often well I should say its been quite awhile since I bought fabric. On a fixed in come and hubby has been really sick lately so havent been doing much sewing Not had the fabric..So it is put on hold for a little while until things get going in the right direction.

I have had people in LQS look at me and turn away. I don't dress up enough I guess. I am usually in jeans and a flannel shirt , I don't wear makeup and don't fancy up my hair. lol
    No I don't have a lot of money to spend but if I am treated well or bad at a store I sure do talk a LOT.
    There are two LQS within driving distance of me. The Scarlett Thread in McDonough and Heritage Quilts in Newnan . Both are really nice places. I don't get to go very often but the couple of times I did it was nice.
    I know that if I had a store I would treat everyone the same. And I wouldn't hover that drives me nuts. I would want to know everything about everyone. I did when I worked in an herb shop more than I wanted sometimes. :-)
    I tried to teach my kids a little bit of everything. My son was the one that liked sewing but when he went to live with his Dad he told him that kind of stuff including his art work was sissy. My daughter works on cars. And I have done a lot around the house. Irritating now I know I could do stuff but the old body just won't let me.

MOTH went to one of our LQS to pick up a new thimble for me. The owner recognised him - he is her massage therapist! He was then 'sold'to the rest of the women there, and picked up two new clients. He was asked to go on their next quilting retreat for a day to massage everyone.

:thumbup:You're evil :thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast