Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hancocks? >

Hancocks?

Hancocks?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Bev

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
well of course a shop owner would say that. not all shop owners, to be sure. most are ethical and wouldn't trash the competition like that. :hunf:

hancock's fabrics run nearly the whole Snooty Scale ... from 1 to 8. (scale is 1 to 10)

and here's a news flash. not all LQS carry 9s and 10s.

so there.
I said she USED to be a shop owner. That was many years ago. I don't think she'd have an axe to grind any longer. And she's really a very ethical and lovely older lady who has been around a quilt shop or two. I've never heard her say a bad word about anyone. This was just a remark in passing that she made. In the days when I was learning from her, I couldn't afford an LQS and bought from other sources. She never said anything about my choices of fabrics.
And here's another news flash, most quilt shops I've been in DO have good quality fabric. Although one shop I visited on a hop DID carry a few panels from a lower quality line. So, one out of a few dozen ain't bad. It goes back to what everyone here has been saying all along, buy the best you can afford and to heck with what everyone else does!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:23 PM

We have a Hancocks here in town, but the attitude of the sales women was so bad that I only went there if I just had to. One day it was so bad that I called the corporate office. They have a new regional manager now and the store is a delight to shop in. Their fabrics are along the same lines as JoAnn's. No matter where you go, you get what you pay for. I've had good and bad at LQS and the same at the chain stores.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:45 PM

We have 2 stores, 1 was just remodeled. I too prefer them to JoAnn b/c of the good service I get and have found some good quality fabrics. They have better sales than JoAnn as well.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:30 PM

If I were to pick between the personnel at Hancocks or Joanne's in my area, Hancocks would win hands down. I go to my LQS (when I have to, they have really bad taste, too many Civil War fabrics for me), my not so close LQS whom I love, Hancocks, Joanne's... I'm an equal opportunity shopper. I think you're going to find good and bad in any store (although fat quarters are definitely better at my not so close LQS).
Old 06-20-2010, 02:22 AM

Walmarts in my area are discontinuing fabric. The one near me in Pooler still has it
Old 06-28-2010, 12:54 PM

We have a Hancocks and it is great nice and neat and nice fabric. I don't get the fabric that is real cheap and looks like it. But most of their fabric is good.
cassiemae :-)
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM

There are only a few Hancock's left here in Houston, our local store closed several years ago. NO surprise -
Our store was just 5 yrs old in a fast growing suburb, but you'd swear it was 40 yrs old ! Same old outdated design, decor & fixtures. Unfriendly staff, always a mess. Very little to offer for quilters. Then half the store was taken over with overpriced furniture & lamps!!
Don't understand why these chains CAN'T GET IT RIGHT??? It can't be THAT HARD to offer a modern, pleasant, bright FABRIC store - with CURRENT market fabrics, notions, patterns & books - & staff that knows HOW to sew/quilt and actually trained in customer SERVICE???
Old 06-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by martha jo
The Hancocks near me was closed. Still have store in Austin and I buy Alexander Henry and batik. They seem to pay the rent with decorator items and fabric is just incidental. I don't like Joanne's at all. We have a wonderful quilt store in New Braunfels, Quilt Haus. Thank goodness.
Oh, I LOVE the Quilt Haus, I visit whenever we are up that way!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by dsj
They do offer a complete quilters catalog of fabrics. You can sign up for it. I usually see it at the quilt shows. You will get a subscription if you sign up with AQS.
That is Hancock's of Paducah, Kentucky - they are NOT related in any way to Hancock's fabric store chain
Old 06-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

We have a fantastic Hancock by me! I shop there all the time.