Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting/hoop stand >

Hand quilting/hoop stand

Hand quilting/hoop stand

Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM

Does the 14 inch hoop give you a big enough area to work in?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM

absolutly, I just work on one area and then rehoop and keep going. very comfortble
Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM

14"is perfect. Bigger is not better in this case it only gets in the way.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Here's the hand quilting hoop I love:

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...PTOP-HOOP-.htm

The ball makes the hoop very easily to swivel the hoop to any angle or direction that will make stitching easier, and it's very easy to release and tighten the wing nuts for the position you want. The underneath hand is unobstructed, and the entire hoop sits in your lap.

There is a half-hoop adapater available for it too (makes stitching borders easier).
I am thinking their is a problem with the site....it is not updating my post properly

That is the one I have. I got mine off eBay. It was never used and sold by a charity. It is originally from the Gruber's website.

That is the one I have. I got mine off eBay. It was new and sold by a charity. It is from the Gruber's. :-o :shock:
Old 04-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanks so much. I will look into buying one.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM

I just hand quilt on my lap. It is more comfortable for me as a hoop stand is very uncomfortable
Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
Have any of you hand quilters out there tried the Sharon Shamber's method of basting the quilt.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Supposedly it does not shift while you are workign on it. I am willing to try anything if it will save me hassles in the long run.
Otherwise, what do you do to stabilize that quilt while you are working on it?
Thanks for sharing.
I don't baste mine before quilting it. I just make sure I have extra fill and backing so if there is any shifting it doesn't effect the project. By the time I quilt what is in the frame it's secure enough to move around. This isn't the right way to do it but it works for me.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:23 PM

I've managed to end up with a very, very nice (and expensive) oak floor frame that adjusts to different size quilts, a floor style PVC pipe frame, a smaller rectangular PVC pipe frame for lap quilting and an inexpensive round frame.

In addition to the space issue, I find putting a quilt on the large frame a bit of a hassle. It is much easier to "snap" a quilt into the smaller and less expensive frames. There is something relaxing about sitting in a comfy chair and quilting so I prefer using the smaller PVC pipe frame of a round frame.

You can get both types of PVC pipe frames via Joanne's Fabrics. I used a 50% off coupon and got the smaller frame for about $9. I would stay away from the really flimsy round wood frames and invest in one of the sturdier plastic round lap frames--especially if you have kids around or a bit klutzy. (Someone sat on mine and broke it!)

If the project is square, the PVC lap frame seems to be my preferred choice. If I am quilting a round motif, I switch to the round frame. The smaller frames are so inexpensive it's not a bit deal to have both.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:32 PM

I just bought a quilting lap hoop from Barnetts. It is $142 but well worth it. Check out the website. I got the tilt and twist one. The top portion, which is the hoop, detaches from the bottom part that swivels. The bottom portion allows you to tilt it in three different levels. I bought the 14" hoop. He has a video on the website.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM

All of my hand quilting friends do not use a frame :D