Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting and the LQS >

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Ashley,

I have used an Aunt Bessie for hand quilting. When I could hand quilt I used it all the time to help with the needle on the under side of the quilt. Sometimes when I go to LQS I get the feeling I have stepped into a party that I was invited to. Hope your next trip is more enjoyable.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
You can get the same result as the Aunt Becky by getting an old thimble at the thrift or antique store. It is a silver/nickel color thimble that the dimples around the top are relatively smooth. Hammer the round top flat so you have a good sharp edge. Works just like the Aunt Becky.
I have used the Aunt Becky and don't really like it. Had a quilting friend that said she threw it acros the room several times before she got the hang of it. Some might also use a regular small spoon for the same results. I have more control with the modified thimble.
I think a new quilter would probably have more success with the Aunt Becky than one who has been at it a while. It is easier to learn then to unlearn and relearn don't you think? All of a sudden the whole process seems foreign. i live in fear of losing the silly thing and it isn't anything special but I've had it for years.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Google Goddess

Thanks and let us know if you like it

Originally Posted by AshleyR
Originally Posted by BluegrassGurl
I want an "Aunt Becky" too. Where did you get yours?
http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...___D80688.html

Let me know if you like it!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM

The first time that I went into my LQS a few miles from me, I was ignored. Then I went back, killing time between appointments, and the lady over heard me talking on my phone. She then new I was a quilter and asked if I needed any help. I then told her what I planning on doing and I asked her what batiks were. I walked out spending a hundred dollars and three weeks latter spent 300. Now when I walk in I get the royal treatment. I would recommend giving them a second chance.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
I've had an Aunt Becky for several years and cannot keep it on my finger, quite possibly because I don't use a hoop or a frame; Jean Brown does her Aunt Becky demo. using a hoop. Anyway, it's not so much my left hand finger (underneath the quilt) that gets hurt; it's my ring finger on my right hand that takes a beating. I use it a lot to assist the middle finger that has the thimble on it. I can't wear 2 thimbles on one hand and have tried various things to protect that finger, but with little or no success.
You might try finding a thimble with really big, deep dimples. Those big, deep dimples control the needle so that you don't have to use an unprotected finger to assist.

A Thimblelady plastic cone thimble is about $15 and is sturdy enough to last for a couple quilts, which gives you plenty of time to see if you like it well enough to get the more expensive metal versions.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:05 AM

Ashley,
I had the exact opposite experience. Although I enjoy hand quilting, due to time constraints, I mostly do machine quilting. I went to a LQS for some advice on a project and I was pretty much told that this shop catered to hand quilters and they would be happy to show me the hand quilting solution to my problem (which I accepted gratefully). They gave me the impression of being kind of "snobby" and I felt that they looked down on machine quilters by some of the remarks they made. I never went back to that particular shop and I think I heard that they are no longer in business.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 AM

First, Sorry you had a bad experience.

Second, What is an "Aunt Becky"? Never heard of it, hand quilter here.

Never mind, I found it on another page. Duh, should have looked through. Never used one and don't think I'd try it. Used to using my thumb nail.

Kyia
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

I don't hand quilt and even I know what a Aunt Becky's is. The more customers that ask for hand quilting things the more your local quilt shop will carry.

For some people hand quilting will never die. My friend sits in front of a fire place and hand quilts in the winter. That is what gives her joy and that is what she should do.

I am a machine quilter because that is what I enjoy. I am happy on my machine. So that is what I should do.

I greatly admire hand quilted quilts so I hope they never disappear.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 AM

Great timing for this post. I am currently working on my first hand quilted piece. Nice to learn of this tool, I'm ordering one right now. I sure hope it helps me with my stitching, it needs it, LOL.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 AM

I would love to learn hand quilting because I love to do hand sewing when my arthritis allows it. :) Now I know what an Aunt Becky is (I googled it) and that I will need one so thank you for your topic. :)