Hand Quilting and the LQS >

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

Me, too!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
Originally Posted by GemState
I can see a big rush of orders for an Aunt Becky and a lot of frustrated quilters trying to use it. I hand quilt and have tried and tried to use Aunt Becky, but always end up putting it back in the drawer, even after I have been ABSOLUTELY DETERMINED to master it.
Me, too!
Me, too! I tried it but couldn't seem to get the hang of it. Don't even know where it is right now!\
Old 10-18-2011, 09:34 AM

It was already in my order at Connecting Threads
Old 10-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Sorry you had trouble find Aunt Becky. I had a totally different experience. I took my (one and only) hand quilting class at JanniLou's in Philomath, Oregon. Aunt Becky was a requirement, and that's all we used in the class. (We also experimented with a number of different thimbles, but no one thimble was recommended or required.) I may be wrong, because the class was several years ago, but I recall hearing from Jan (one of the owners of JanniLou's and the teacher for this class) that JanniLou's purchased the rights to Aunt Becky from the lady who invented it, and that they are now the distributors for the product. I'll bring their attention to this topic and ask if that's the case next time I go in. Philomath is close enough for classes, but not close enough that I get to JanniLou's every week, which is too bad because JanniLou's is one of my alltime favorite quilt stores. I don't think they sell online.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM

I tried the Aunt Becky and went back to my "brown leather thimbles" I use one on each hand as I quilt with both hands. I am right handed and I cut down one of my brown leather thimbes to make it shorter and use it on my left thumb.
I understand why quilt shops don't seem to carry much for handquilters. They are in business to make money and what is popular now is machine quilting. While I probably will die with a huge stash I am constantly buying fabric for my chairity projects like Linus and the pillowcase dresses. I also have a huge stash of heirloom grade fabric. A person can make more quilts in less time by machine quilting this means they will need to purchase more fabric for the next project. While that is logical since when are quilters that logical. I see a fabric I like I just have to have it even if I may never get around to using it. I also tend to purchase at least three yards because when I do get around to using it, it may no longer be available. Don't you just hate when that happens?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:34 AM

When I was still hand quilting, having a sore under the quilt finger wasn't an issue for me as I'm also a guitarist. I tried some of the gadgets like the Aunt Becky and found them hard to use. I often used a couple of layers of masking tape on my finger.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM

Can someone tell me what and "Aunt Becky" tool is? I have never heard of it.
Judy
Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 PM

In case there's any more confusion... I'm not buying Aunt Becky because it's a finger protector. I am developing a pain in my dominant hand and the way I rock the needle is starting to really hurt.
I am buying AB in hopes that I can start quilting like Ms. Jean in the videos and use my left hand to do the quilting part for me. I have to train my hands to work a different way or not at all.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:11 PM

Aunt Becky is a metal 'thing', flat, and bent into a V,but you put it over your finger and use it with the pointy side up, sliding it back and forth on the back side of what you are quilting. It is like a little 'finger teepee.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
Shopping at quilt store is not a happy time to me. Since "all" I do is hand-quilt, I haven't had much of a need for them. And to me, it's like shopping at Victoria's Secret. I know there's stuff in there that can make me better, but I rarely step over the thresh-hold...
I have decided to try one of those Aunt Becky quilt-tools, so, I went to the quilt shop to buy one. I think I walked in on a class, because there were about 10 ladies on machines. One of them came to help me, but had never heard of the Aunt Becky (how I wish there was a better name than that!!) so she asked someone else, who knew they didn't have one but would be happy to order one for me. I told her they were just a few bucks off the internet so I'd order one. She didn't care. I thanked them both and left.
I did order two of them when I got to the office. It was quick and easy and I'll have to wait a week or so, but that's ok. When I get them, I'll take them to the same shop and show them what I was talking about. I don't think it will matter. I just feel that they are fat quarters, quilt books, and machine sales stores. I'm not saying that's *all* quilt stores, but I think one of the reasons hand-quilting is a "dying art" is because there's no support in the quilt stores, because there's not much profit to be made on "hand quilting".
I bought my Aunt Becky's on that Connecting Threads website. I figured since I was making an order, I'd look at their thread. So I searched their site for "hand quilting thread" and they showed me some pretty colors, but I didn't see where they were coated for handquilting. Then I searched "hand quilting" and "handquilting" and they showed me the Aunt Becky, some fabric, a pack of needles, some tutorials... and quilting gloves.
I hate to say this... But I guess I'll stick with Joann's and Michaels, AC Moore and Hobby Lobby for my tools and batting and what I can't find, I'll purchase off the internet. I'd love to support the "little guy", but when the "little guy" can't support me, I give up.
I have been there and I vented here also.I am mainly a hand quilter also. My first visit to the local quilt shop, I wanted to join a class to make a quilt they had displayed but at the time I only had a console machine and was told I could use one of their machines if paid I paid $35.00 for each of the two classes, plus paid the $35.00 for the class and I had to purchase the fabric from them. I said so it'll will cost me $105. plus fabric, batting and backing to make this baby quilt and she said yes. Well I left and didn't return for several years when I was in the market to buy a new machine and there happened to be a class going on. One gal came over and told me she didn't really know the machines that well and come back some other time. Not any questions or take my # to call and set up a time, nothing. I left and bought my machine elsewhere.
I didn't return for another couple years and I was in the area and all I needed was some quilting thread. I was told by the lady in the store "there wasn't a difference in hand quilting thread and machine thread". And I said yes there is a difference and so the lady asked someone else and she said they had some somewhere in a little basket but they couldn't find it. I know most people prefer machine quilting and I marvel at the lovely work done by machines but REALLY. I don't care that they carry many shades of quilting thread but surely they can reserve a small place for white, black and off white.
I was told at another quilt shop that was super large and super cool that he considered "hand" quilting a four lettered word and to not say it. He was joking but It irritated me. It said to me, "I am not making as much off you so don't waste my time"
I have done a lot of shopping on line because of my treatment at local quilt shops and I like you would prefer to keep my $ local. They are missing out when they cater only to machine quilters.