Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting over seams?? >

hand quilting over seams??

hand quilting over seams??

Old 08-26-2011, 03:44 PM

I have no idea about the stitching, but absolutely love your shapes and colors. Good work!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by KS quilter
I also agree with Kristin. I've made this quilt a few years
back. Rhonda Dieker created that pattern, and her shop used
to be 40 minutes from me. I hand quilted mine. If I'm on a
seam and it doesn't always get the back layer on a stitch, I
don't worry about it. It doesn't happen often and is alomost impossible to find a missed stitch.
Thanks for the encouragement... I especially love the part about how impossible it (almost) is to find a missed stitch!! :-D

Now I'm excited to get started on this venture!!
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Thank you. I am a machine quilter that is wanting to learn hand quilting and this helps SO much.
Originally Posted by Murphy
I appreciate this detailed response as I have wondered about this question as well. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
You absolutely can handquilt over seams. I'm quilting the one in my avatar right now. Lot of seams. I'm finding that I can do about 6 stitches per inch, and have it look consistent (using Warm n Natural for batting, which I've now learned is a thicker batting, maybe you could do more stitches with a thinner or more compressable batting). I'm happy with that- the stitches don't look giant or primitive, and they are consistant (at least as consistant as my skill level enables!). Every now and then, if I run across a seam that overlaps with another- so has more layers- I stab it instead of rock it, so that the stitch won't be too big.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
Thank you. I am a machine quilter that is wanting to learn hand quilting and this helps SO much.
Originally Posted by Murphy
I appreciate this detailed response as I have wondered about this question as well. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
You absolutely can handquilt over seams. I'm quilting the one in my avatar right now. Lot of seams. I'm finding that I can do about 6 stitches per inch, and have it look consistent (using Warm n Natural for batting, which I've now learned is a thicker batting, maybe you could do more stitches with a thinner or more compressable batting). I'm happy with that- the stitches don't look giant or primitive, and they are consistant (at least as consistant as my skill level enables!). Every now and then, if I run across a seam that overlaps with another- so has more layers- I stab it instead of rock it, so that the stitch won't be too big.
I'm so glad! I'm still learning, I keep my eye out for handquilting topics on this board and have learned so much.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM

I have a number of hand quilting projects in the UFO stage. So far I've felt like it was actually easier to do ones that had smaller pieces since you had more 'guidelines' built in. One of the ones I'm working on has 6" squares and they just seem huge!
As a self-taught hand quilter I may not be doing things like anyone else does. One thing I do at seam intersections is take an extra stitch to 'anchor' the line of stitching. My reason for doing this is that as a child I entertained myself un-quilting the quilt on my bed! So I'm making it more difficult for this to occur.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:50 PM

I don't know if your seams are all pressed in one direction or not ~ but instead of hand quilting on both sides - why not pick one side(the one w/ less bulk, of course) and stitch on it - just be consistent.

I quilted a Grandma's Flower Garden and stitched around each and every hexagon - and it seems like that's all you do - stitch thru seams.. :roll:
Old 08-26-2011, 06:54 PM

I hand quilt with W&N all the time. You can do this. Stab or whatever works for you over the seams. I personally like a meandering stitch with such a graphic block design. If you enjoy hand quilting, go for it. It will be lovely.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 AM

I have used the larger more primitive stitch using crochet thread and I love it! Your quilt will be wonderful hand quilted with this method.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:43 AM

I read some where that you can have 2 1/2 inches between on hand stitching, possibly every other strip on this quilt. Just a thought here.
IdahoSandy
Old 08-27-2011, 04:18 AM

I'm too new at quilting to help you with your question, but wanted to tell you that I love your fabric choices. Your quilt is really pretty.