Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand quilting stich size >

Hand quilting stich size

Hand quilting stich size

Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM

I agree that the most helpful info is that practice is what helps you get better and smaller stitches. Personally, I can't stand a polyester batting - it's too lightweight and doesn't provide enough resistance when trying to keep my stitches even. The needles "falls through" for lack of any other description.

I've always used warm & natural and while I like it, my current project has Dream Cotton Request. It's a lightweight cotton and I noticed that because it is a lighterweight batting, my stitches are smaller. I will probably be using it more often.

My absolutely favorite hand quilting thread is YLI. Gutterman in a pinch. Both are glazed 100% cotton threads. Don't like Coats & Clark, it frays and knots up too easily for my taste.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM

I can't make very small stitches either. So however it comes out, that is what I live with. Most of my hand quilting is bigger stitches than a seasoned quilter would have. But, the quilt is mine, I did it and proud of how it turns out, no matter what the stitches look like.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM

I used to use some tape with lines on it to help keep my stitches small and even. I am not sure what the tape is called, but it is for hand quilting.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM

I use a PVC frame in my lap to hold my work. I too found my stitches were so large, and then I switched to John James needles. since I have sme arthritis in my hands, I use the Golden Glide size 10 needles. I really think my stiches became much smaller using a good needle. I also think that consistent neat stitches are more important than size for a quilt to look nice...I too hand quilt everything, and as long as I enjoy it, I am happy. In time, you will find your stitches will become neater and smaller
Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 AM

My secret for hand quilting: quilt in a floor frame. That way you have two hands to control your quilting. One is on top and on on the bottom. I use Mountain Mist Quilt Lite. It is so easy to quilt through. Just like melted butter, as one old timer calls it. I was having trouble on my last one. it was one for a friend whose mother had pieced the blocks years ago. She hadused a very tightly-woven fabric that was hard to needle. Then I used a white backing that was a poor choice. It looked like the design had been painted on and when I hit one of those I couldn't get the needle through. i finally gave up on it and took it to my long-arm quilter and she is going to resurrect it for me. I took out all the stitches I had already put into it. I like a light-weight backing, plain if possible to show up the design and stitches. I had a wonderful compliment from one of my best friends when she asked me for some of my hand quilting to have as a remembrance of me. I found a piece at Paducah one year that wasalready printed so all I had to do was quilt it and wash out the blue lines. I gave it to her this week and she is going to have it professionally framed to hang on her wall. Made me feel special. I will admit that my stitches aren't as good as they used to be, but not bad.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 AM

I have always heard that as long as the stitches are the same, both front and back, it doesn't matter the size. I use an 8 or 9 between and can get maybe 8 stitches to an inch. I am happy with that. I rarely use a hoop or frame. I found it easier not to. I get all hunched up over a frame or hoop. Without one I can relax in the recliner and just quilt.

Anita in Northfield, MN
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jodi3284 View Post
I tried to use a lap hoop and had terrible luck so I dont use anything. Of course I found out afterwords that I had the fabric too tight and thats why I couldnt get it right and now Im used to nothing. I was lucky enough to just inherit an amazing quilting rack from my husbands 97 year old grandmother. This rack hangs from the ceiling and my husband has so many memories of his dear grandmother always having a quilt she was working on hanging from the ceiling. I hope to get it up and learn to use it soon!
I have a heavy piece of metal to "anchor" the quilt and give it a little tension as I quilt. I have always used a running stitch (not rocker stitch) and it is much easier to control for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by mtteach101 View Post
I used to use some tape with lines on it to help keep my stitches small and even. I am not sure what the tape is called, but it is for hand quilting.
Tiger Tape
Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 AM

I use #9 John James needles but have tried other name brands as well. Does anyone else have a problem with their needles bending???? I use Hobbs 80-20 but have tried other battings as well with the same problem. What am I doing wrong???????
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 AM

My stitches are long too but it looks ok as long as they are even. With practice your stitches will get shorter.