Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Handi Quilter's "Simply Sixteen" longarm - opinions? >

Handi Quilter's "Simply Sixteen" longarm - opinions?

Handi Quilter's "Simply Sixteen" longarm - opinions?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:18 AM

I have HQ16 and use the Qbot on the Imperial frame. Love this machine. It is so dependable and smooth.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Eddie,

I have been doing a lot of research recently on long arm and mid arm machines. I feel the Innova is the best value for the $$.

I have test drove both the HQ 16 and the Innova and I could feel a difference in the two machines immediately.

They make an 18" 22" and 26". The 18" is very comprably priced to the HQ 16 (with stitch regulator) and is a much more heavy duty machine so IMHO a better value for the $$. I am getting ready to take the plunge within the next year, possibly as soon as this summer.

The Innova is manufactured in Texas. I think you should check it out. http://www.abminternational.com/index.php
Old 03-31-2010, 08:02 AM

Hey Eddie.. I learned on the HandiQuilter 16 not all that long ago at the LQS.. It had the stitch regulator and could be driven from either side. I learned to use pantographs, groovy boards and all the other techniques.. even got a little tute on making your own pantographs. It was a wonderful experience and that would be my choice even if I had the money to pick from ANY one I wanted. Color me green with envy.. I didn't think it was difficult to load or advance either. They did stress cleaning the bobbin area with each bobbin change with a little vacuum and keeping it oiled.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
The simply Sixteen is just that, simple, it is a very basic machine with no add ones, some people do well with simple, others prefer some help like with a stitch regulator, some the qbot, I have the lazer and the stylus and groovie boards for mine, it is all about what you need and what you are using it for,
How do you like the groovie boards? I've thought about getting some. I already have the lazer.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I like them but they take practice, otherwise you get strange spots, but with a little practice anyone can use them and all your stuff ends up the same, my 12 year old has used them on the small feathered circle,
Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I have the HQ16 with stitch regulator. That is the only difference between the sweet 16 and hq16. I absolutely love my hq. I have the HQ16 with the 10ft QuilTable. FAN-TAB-U-LOUS.

The hq is a very LOW MAINTENANCE machine. Just keep the bobbin area clean, 1 or 2 drops of oil every 8 hours or so and voila you are done with maintenance. I've had my machine for over 3 years. I've finished AT LEAST 100 quilts on it and have not taken back to the tech for service. I MIGHT, not too sure yet, but MIGHT take it to be serviced sometime this year.

The machine runs fairly quiet. I have very little vibration or machine bounce. Whenever I do get that I just have my husband re-level my table. Poof, no more shakey.

Look on the handi quilter home page in the forums and you can find some really good deals on machines because of the release on the Avante and Fusion. Also, I think there is one on mqresource for sale at a good price.

You might contact a few HQ dealers also. They may have some for trade ins. Good thing is, even if you buy one used, HQ will still help you if you have any problems. They are absolutely FANTASTIC folks. They are a company that believes in standing behind their product!
thanks for all the info
Old 03-31-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for all the great input so far, everyone. I'm still flip-flopping around trying to decide what to get. Hopefully I'll come to a decision soon.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 PM

I got the HQ Avante in December, and love it. It has two types of stitch regulation, cruise & precision. I like the precision regulation myself. It has an 18" throat which means I have 15" of quilting space, though the other night when I was working on our guilds raffle quilt, I wish I had more space. Just one thing to really think about. I ordered my through the Quilting Machine Shop in Bunnell, Fl.
Elaine is very up to date on all the machines, and a wealth of knowledge. Saw that she had just installed a machine up in TN. She may also go the Arkansas. The best part of dealing with her, was that she & her husband drove up to my place and setup and installed, and even gave me 4 hours of lessons with mine. I don't think I went wrong. Do your research and try out as many as you can.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:59 AM

Does anyone out there have a Kenquilt? I have one and I don't know of anyone else who does. Am I their only customer?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:50 AM

I have an HQ16 and quilt on it almost every day. Love it!