Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made potholders with insulbrite? >

Has anyone made potholders with insulbrite?

Has anyone made potholders with insulbrite?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM

I used two layers of insulbrite. One was not enough.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've noticed that the polyester filled potholders my Mom made are NOT heat resistant if they get wet.
Not to many things are heat resistant when wet. Try picking up a hot pan with a dry dish cloth and then using the same cloth wet and you'll find out how fast you'll get burned when it is wet.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:47 AM

I use mattress pads when they are worn out; I launder them twice with bleach and they make wonderful batting for the potholders. I wonder though which way to put the insulbrite? Up toward the potholder or down where the hands pick it up? I use both but am never sure which way to put it. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:09 PM

I made some hotpads with just a layer of Insulbrite - for me they aren't thick enough to use on things from the oven but they're PERFECT for microwaved things. They're very thin and flexible so they're easy to use to grab a bowl out of there. I've also made more with one and two layers of cotton batting in addition to the Insulbrite - those are both thick enough for oven-hot things but I have very heat-sensitive hands so I tend to grab the thickest ones just out of habit.

On the ones that JUST have Insulbrite....I can't tell which direction the stuff is in there and it doesn't seem to make any difference at all. I wish I had one of those thermal cameras, it'd be interesting to see if there really is a difference. With my heat-sensitive hands it seems I'd be able to detect it if there was a significant difference in the amount of heat coming through, but I can't. So I don't worry about it....if there IS a difference it must be very very small.

Insulbrite is somewhat stiff and a little 'crinkly' at first, but after a couple washings that goes away.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM

I use one layer of Insul-Brite and two layers of W&N batting. That way the heat won't be able to penetrate so easily.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:53 PM

I do the same as CKCOWL. I made about 60 of them and they are thick and very nice. Just right.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I use a layer of insul-brite, and a layer of warm & natural.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Gonna try this. I like the idea of using old cotton towels and denim for batting.

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
My best potholders were made of old cotton towels and denim. Never a problem with heat and they lasted forever. I used a pretty fabric on the outside and made self binding and they were cute.