Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone made potholders with insulbrite? >

Has anyone made potholders with insulbrite?

Has anyone made potholders with insulbrite?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM

Insulbrite and Warm N Natural. That's what I use.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:56 AM

I just found the Insulbrite and used it - so far - for two sets of pot holders. I was afraid it would not be enough with one layer so I tried one first and it works just fine, keeps the heat away from fingers, without the need for additional layers. I'm excited to start making more of these for gifts.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:42 AM

I use insulbrite and warm and natural batting together. I would not use polyester batting, or even polyester thread, because of the heat/ melting factor.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I've noticed that the polyester filled potholders my Mom made are NOT heat resistant if they get wet.
COMMON SENSE should tell you to NEVER EVER use anything WET or DAMP to handle anything HOT as you stand a good chance of getting a steam burn regardless or what it is manufactured out of. HOT and WET NEVER, EVER mix as a safety factor!!! You are just asking to get burned badly.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:28 AM

I have asked similar question here on the board because I have so many scraps of batting. Poly was a no-no because it does not work well with heat. I was told to sandwich insulbright in between two layest of cotton batting (cotton batting - insulbright - cotton batting). I made a few and I am not really sure I like insulbright at all. It makes my potholders so stiff. They may be good for under the pots, but not for handling pots on the stove. That is just me. I think I will try advice I got here on the board about using old towels sandwiched between cotton batting. Trial and error!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:10 AM

I only use one layer of warm and natural with insulbrite. The potholders I use at home are from years ago(I really should make myself some new ones...lol)and they are two layers of warm and natural batting. That's how I used up some of my scrap pieces of batting.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:12 AM

I used one layer of insulbrite and one layer of some duck fabric - like canvas - that I had on hand. Worked fine.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

I use two layers of W&N, no Insulbrite, for gift potholders...and cut up an old cotton mattress pad for my own.

I see absolutely no need to spend extra money on a 'specialty product' for inside potholders, especially something that only works when it's facing a certain way. Are you supposed to label your gift with a little tag that tells the giftee which side to put in their hand? *giggle*
Old 08-17-2012, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for the question. I am never sure which side of the insulbrite should be facing out. I have used W&N with one layer of insulate and then W&N. I have also used W&N, two layers of Insulbrite then W&N again. How do you think fleece would work as batting? When I did some of my potholders I just made an X in the middle and they folded nicely. I don't want to make the potholders so thick that they can't be used. I would think that the foil would not wash very well. I like the idea of using an old pad (clean of course that can't be used on the bed any longer). I could not find any instructions on the insulbrite which side should be facing out. Does it matter? I will be watching this thread to see what all of you say. Thanks BrendaK
Old 08-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
COMMON SENSE should tell you to NEVER EVER use anything WET or DAMP to handle anything HOT as you stand a good chance of getting a steam burn regardless or what it is manufactured out of. HOT and WET NEVER, EVER mix as a safety factor!!! You are just asking to get burned badly.
I usually start with a dry potholder - but occasionally something has spilled or spattered on me while handling an item - such as draining the cooking water off potatoes.

So - I frequently do try to use some sense when I do things - but occasionally there is an oops when a lid slips or something like that.